Author Topic: POP ON NEXT TOUR!  (Read 743 times)

Offline StickOnTattoos

• Stateless
  • Thats all there is/leaves thatr green turn t brown
POP ON NEXT TOUR!
« on: December 23, 2012, 04:53:03 PM »
Ok, just need to rant:
Why the hell don't U2 play anything from Pop live any more!!?? BS I SAY!!
Why have they abandoned one of their greatest (IMO greatest) albums. I do not understand!
COME ON POP LOVERS, LET'S SHOW THEM WE WANT POP!
WHO'S WITH ME?
who has Bono's number, somebody tell him what's up.

Online EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
Re: POP ON NEXT TOUR!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 05:27:02 PM »
Plenty of us have been saying this since 360! WE NEED POP!

Offline boom boom

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 07:09:10 AM »
I don't think you will see it any time soon.  It didn't go well with a lot of the long time fans, with the whole discotheque village people thing and the image they were going for on the popmart tour, it just put them off. Believe me, I'm a long time fan and first seen them live on the UF tour and have friends who like U2 just as long as me and it didn't go over with them well and myself.  I've seen every tour from UF to 360 and it is my least favorite.  A lot of them dropped out seeing the Popmart tour.  Because the failure of POP and Popmart, U2 felt the pressure to get back to basics and simplicity with ATYCLB and Elevation tour, in order to get their fan base and image back to where it was before POP and in some sense they needed to get their mojo and confidence back.  This was evident on opening night on Elevation tour which I was at when Bono asked the audience-"Have we got the job back".  A confident U2 would not need to ask this. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 07:16:38 AM by boom boom »

Offline TheU2Ken

• Up With the Sun
  • The truth never set me free so I did it myself
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 09:18:42 AM »
I personally think IALW should be played more. like 3/4 times a show

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 10:27:54 AM »
In their minds, U2 associate the Pop album with 'failure', at least from a commercial point of view, so they'll be reluctant to play much from it on their next tour because they want to cater to the casual fans.  It's the same reasoning that will account for little to nothing being played from NLOTH on their next tour, despite it being a more recent album.

Offline mdmomof7

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know A body in a soul
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 11:40:40 AM »
^True, UGH!

Offline singnomore

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 11:55:58 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In their minds, U2 associate the Pop album with 'failure', at least from a commercial point of view, so they'll be reluctant to play much from it on their next tour because they want to cater to the casual fans.  It's the same reasoning that will account for little to nothing being played from NLOTH on their next tour, despite it being a more recent album.

In Pops case i think the band themselves have an element of dissatisfaction with the songs as well

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 12:03:03 PM »

In Pops case i think the band themselves have an element of dissatisfaction with the songs as well

They are dissatisfied with Please??  After the PopMart performances of the song!  Are they mad?

Offline singnomore

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 12:08:32 PM »

They are dissatisfied with Please??  After the PopMart performances of the song!  Are they mad?

No fair point - I guess i was saying that overall they weren't happy with the album so that gets in the way perhaps when they are deciding what to play?

Online EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 04:07:09 PM »
Yeah, didn't they feel that Pop was unfinished and rushed, and tried to rectify that with the Best Of 1990-2000 remixes? But I would think playing them live would help them get over that feeling if the reception was warm enough- but then again, they did have some poor performances of Pop songs (such as Staring At The Sun) when the tour first started, since they hadn't rehearsed them enough. Maybe even after mastering the songs live (they had to have, since the setlist hardly changed throughout the tour), U2 were still kind of frightened to approach them again.

Offline shorne

• Refugee
  • Two crap albums in a row and we're done...
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 09:58:27 PM »
I'd like them to pull out Do You Feel Loved... that song has potential to be great live.  I thought that for sure it would show up during 360... but sadly... no.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 01:14:08 AM »
A complete Discotheque would have slotted nicely after Crazy Tonight on 360 instead of just the snippet.  I guess Crazy Tonight-Discotheque-Please-Sunday Bloody Sunday could have worked.  Crazy Tonight- Discotheque / Please (snippet) - SBS probably would have been better.

Offline _acrobat

• Desert Rose
  • Am I really all the things that are outside of me?
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 04:51:07 AM »
who has Bono's number, somebody tell him what's up.

I have him on speed dial

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Release date of LP 13 ^
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 09:56:08 AM »
I think that Led Zeppelin should play more from Presence on their next tour.

Oh wait.