Author Topic: New Album In (Anyone Care To Make A Guess?) Thread!  (Read 397481 times)

Offline The Edges Cat

• Numb
Re: New Album In (Anyone Care To Make A Guess?) Thread!
« Reply #165 on: January 11, 2013, 03:43:42 PM »
Beer comes in six-packs. They could release the six and do a deal with Guinness. Everything sounds good after Guinness...

Offline The Exile

• Elevated
  • Exile, it's a small price to pay for bliss....
« Reply #166 on: January 11, 2013, 03:58:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I agree. But if you're right, then NLOTH would have been more "cohesive" if a few songs had been omitted (which would have made it essentially an EP, which just establishes my point).

Even if that were true, it just means they are missing the right songs. Few artist if any are trying to record EP's as there is no real market forward, nor is it generally regarded as an art form the way an album is.

My point is that the market for albums is going the way of Blockbuster and Sam Goody. There will come a time when a band records and releases music independently of (1) the amount of space fits on the music-carrying medium, whether an LP or CD, and (2) the "full album --> sponsoring tour --> break for rest" cycle. Eventually a band will just record what it feels like, when it feels like it, and then tour that material when they feel like it. And there won't be a record company telling them otherwise, either.

U2's not in thi smindset yet, which is understandable. Few bands are, but most will be. And it will be boss.

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #167 on: January 11, 2013, 04:28:48 PM »
I agree. But if you're right, then NLOTH would have been more "cohesive" if a few songs had been omitted (which would have made it essentially an EP, which just establishes my point).

Even if that were true, it just means they are missing the right songs. Few artist if any are trying to record EP's as there is no real market forward, nor is it generally regarded as an art form the way an album is.

My point is that the market for albums is going the way of Blockbuster and Sam Goody. There will come a time when a band records and releases music independently of (1) the amount of space fits on the music-carrying medium, whether an LP or CD, and (2) the "full album --> sponsoring tour --> break for rest" cycle. Eventually a band will just record what it feels like, when it feels like it, and then tour that material when they feel like it. And there won't be a record company telling them otherwise, either.

U2's not in thi smindset yet, which is understandable. Few bands are, but most will be. And it will be boss.

Well, that time is technically already here. But still, there is no market for the EP or for an album that last 6 hours. Even though many people don't purchase albums anymore, they still obtain them for free and listen to them in a digital format.

In addition, the album format provides a depth of material for the artist but is usually not so long that you loose the attention of people. Although digital allows one to be free of the constraints found on a physical format, having a string of songs that is of sufficient length but not to long to loose peoples attentions which is what albums have always had will likely keep things grounded in that area.

As for touring, writing, recording and other things, if you want to make money, you do have to follow some sort of business cycle or plan. You don't do anything you want to, when you want to, if your trying to make a living from the work. In fact, because of the collapse of the music business and record companies, it will be come much more difficult for artist to make money and promote themselves, especially around the world. Its much more difficult to be in the music business and making money today than it was 10, 20, 30, or 40 years ago.

Offline Smithy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #168 on: January 12, 2013, 11:43:46 AM »
Interesting to here in the interview Larry did with Fanning, that they have a big collection of music that they would like to be made public, he even mentioned the fact that Return Of The Stingray Guitar has not been scrapped but actually rewritten and reworked, along with Glastonbury. So i could see them releasing within a shorter space of time then usual, possibly a full album as normal as how they would prefer then afterwards, during the tour maybe an ep. Problem being that, as he mention the Songs of Ascent project (which he insists is still alive) is artistically very different then the content they currently have been working on as it mainly consists of songs recorded during the NLOTH sessions. So it will be interesting to see whether they will ever bother releasing that as they are getting further away from the material that will half a decade old shortly, so i would consider the best case scenario in regards to that material is that it would be a U2.com release for subscribers for the new year in the not too distant future.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #169 on: January 12, 2013, 11:47:23 AM »
"Loose" = "Opposite of tight"
"Lose" = "Opposite of find"

Online eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #170 on: January 12, 2013, 01:05:07 PM »
Interesting to here in the interview Larry did with Fanning, that they have a big collection of music that they would like to be made public, he even mentioned the fact that Return Of The Stingray Guitar has not been scrapped but actually rewritten and reworked, along with Glastonbury. So i could see them releasing within a shorter space of time then usual, possibly a full album as normal as how they would prefer then afterwards, during the tour maybe an ep. Problem being that, as he mention the Songs of Ascent project (which he insists is still alive) is artistically very different then the content they currently have been working on as it mainly consists of songs recorded during the NLOTH sessions. So it will be interesting to see whether they will ever bother releasing that as they are getting further away from the material that will half a decade old shortly, so i would consider the best case scenario in regards to that material is that it would be a U2.com release for subscribers for the new year in the not too distant future.

Quite disappointing to hear they've been reworked. I am expecting brand new material.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2013, 01:42:55 PM »

Well, as you mention, Larry said that at least two songs had been reworked (and i'd wager he was referring to more than just those two). If that's the case, and they're still working with danger mouse after 3 years, and songs of ascent still exists, then maybe all of that material has been re-worked with him, so that it's all a coherent group of songs.

Seems to me they originally played with the idea of releasing songs of ascent as a sister album to NLOTH, but when the latter didn't do as well as they hoped, they recruited danger mouse, and reworked the songs of ascent songs / out takes from NLOTH (like every breaking wave), and also created entirely new songs.

Now, according to Larry, they have a massive amount of music, and are interested in releasing all (or much of it) in the form of "multiple releases". Seems like a best case scenario to me - rather than shelving the songs of ascent, they're taking them, and reworking them along with new tunes so that they're happy enough to release them.

Whether they actually release multiple albums is still up in the air (i don't think they will), but i certainly hope the abundance of material means we at least get b-sides this time round, (although given that format is dying, i really only expect the 1 album).

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2013, 01:54:45 PM »
Also, props to unknown caller - he's the only poster i know of who predicted that the unreleased songs from the tour would make it to the next album. I really didn't believe it myself, but that seems to be what Larry's implying.
I'm a little disappointed, because it means space will be taken up on the album by songs that we've not only already heard, but heard quite a while ago.
But at least it's implied that they've been re-worked, and therefore will sound different (and hopefully, in the case of north star and glastonbury, better).
And if it contributes to the release of more than one album, then i'm not gonna complain.
And, fingers crossed, it means every breaking wave has survived - definitely one of my favourite new u2 songs, and i'm dying to hear a full band, studio version. Also curious to see if it's evolved at all since it was played live.

Offline U2runnr

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Vision over visibility
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2013, 03:15:43 PM »
Well I don't really find it disappointing because we don't really know how "reworked" they are. And he could mean that they will release a lot of new songs anyway, because they stuff we heard on 360 isn't near enough to fill even 1 album. So even with 1 or 2 reworked songs that would mean we are getting 8 entirely new songs, which is something to be very excited about.  :D
And even more exciting, if we see a finished, or even reworked version of EBW!

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #174 on: January 12, 2013, 03:22:54 PM »
Well I don't really find it disappointing because we don't really know how "reworked" they are. And he could mean that they will release a lot of new songs anyway, because they stuff we heard on 360 isn't near enough to fill even 1 album. So even with 1 or 2 reworked songs that would mean we are getting 8 entirely new songs, which is something to be very excited about.  :D

Good points! When i say disappointed, i only mean so relatively - any new u2 material is good news, and i'd rather have ebw take up a slot on the album than not exist at all. And i'm fairly certain few other songs on the next album will top it for me anyway.
My only big concern is North star - i really hope they rework it, because i found it incredibly bland, and not what u2 needs to release right now. Same goes for mercy, although i like that one a little better. Hopefully with danger mouse, they'll evolve into something special...

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2013, 03:48:51 PM »

Whether they actually release multiple albums is still up in the air (i don't think they will), but i certainly hope the abundance of material means we at least get b-sides this time round, (although given that format is dying, i really only expect the 1 album).

I actually think there will be multiple album releases within a year of each other. There is a rumor that the record industry in the next few years will end the distribution of physical albums to retail outlets. After that point, in order to get a physical album, you will have to order it online. So given that this will soon be the end of an era in a way, I can see why they would want to put out a couple of albums quickly.

Offline U2runnr

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Vision over visibility
« Reply #176 on: January 12, 2013, 04:03:04 PM »

Good points! When i say disappointed, i only mean so relatively - any new u2 material is good news, and i'd rather have ebw take up a slot on the album than not exist at all. And i'm fairly certain few other songs on the next album will top it for me anyway.
My only big concern is North star - i really hope they rework it, because i found it incredibly bland, and not what u2 needs to release right now. Same goes for mercy, although i like that one a little better. Hopefully with danger mouse, they'll evolve into something special...
Exactly, I thought EBW had enormous potential!
And I really think if North Star is released it will definitely be reworked a bit. Bono had even said the lyrics were unfinished when they had tried it out over 3 years ago. Although Mercy on the other hand, I found amazing, even the 360 version, and i think has huge potential as well.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #177 on: January 12, 2013, 06:06:15 PM »
Also, props to unknown caller - he's the only poster i know of who predicted that the unreleased songs from the tour would make it to the next album. I really didn't believe it myself, but that seems to be what Larry's implying.
I'm a little disappointed, because it means space will be taken up on the album by songs that we've not only already heard, but heard quite a while ago.

Ironically, Stingray and Glastonbury were probably the two I most thought weren't going to make it onto the album. :P But yeah, I've thought ever since 2010 that this stuff would make it onto an album if they were happy enough with it to play it live. I'd be very surprised if we don't see EBW in particular since the band seemed to have a very high opinion of that. (Deservedly so, IMO)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 06:13:19 PM by The Unknown Caller »

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #178 on: January 12, 2013, 06:40:32 PM »

Ironically, Stingray and Glastonbury were probably the two I most thought weren't going to make it onto the album. :P But yeah, I've thought ever since 2010 that this stuff would make it onto an album if they were happy enough with it to play it live. I'd be very surprised if we don't see EBW in particular since the band seemed to have a very high opinion of that. (Deservedly so, IMO)

Yeah, Glastonbury seemed like a one off single to play for the festival, and stingray was apparently an outtake from the unforgettable fire sessions. NS/EBW/Mercy seemed like the more 'real' songs.

To be fair, when Larry said songs had been reworked, i'm fairly certain he was referring to all or most of the unreleased songs, not necessarily just (or even specifically) the two dave fanning asked about.

Where did you hear about the band having a high opinion of EBW? I'd be quite curious to read up on that!

Online _acrobat

• Desert Rose
  • Am I really all the things that are outside of me?
« Reply #179 on: January 12, 2013, 06:43:49 PM »
If I remember correctly, EBW was supposed to be the first Songs of Ascent single