Author Topic: 2U Tribute Show Jan 31st in Falls Church VA  (Read 1920 times)

Offline mdmomof7

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know A body in a soul
Re: 2U Tribute Show Jan 31st in Falls Church VA
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 08:15:18 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
We were a small but highly enthusiastic group last night. It ended up being a really fun night. MDMom rocks! Stay tuned for a full report and some really band phone pics.

2U is playing in the Balt area around St Pats so maybe this will give more of us a chance to get together.

Had so much fun! Belisama and Running are terrific and made it a fantastic evening!! I was skeptical of the entire tribute show premise and was hoping it wouldn't be cheesy. It rocked! Hope more Baltimore/DC area fans can join us next time. You WILL have fun!!

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
  • There is no Them, only Us
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 12:41:00 PM »
MDom, so glad you made it to the show! You are definitely concert comrade material!

The gathering for the night was small-- MDMom, RTSS and myself, although faris joined us by text every once in a while. So for those of you who didn't go. . .
It was a fun night. Sadly the customer service at the venue was not the best however it all worked out in the end.  Most of the fans opted to grab a table and then go back and forth to the stage area throughout the night.  At first it looked like a smallish crowd-- no more than 200 but what we lacked in size we made up for in enthusiasm.
The band had a slow opening start with Elevation while most of the crowd stayed seated.  Once they broke into I Will Follow a few braver folks, including RTSS, made it to the stage area and continued to grow in size.  I can't remember the exact set list but some highlights were. . .
UTEOTW-- they even staged the bullfight
In God's Country-- nice to hear but probably their weakest song of the night
MW
A JT set of ISHFWILF, WOWY, Street
BD (I wish they had added lyrics for the area the way U2 does)
Vertigo
BAD/40- not the closer
SBS
A not too shabby version of Magnificent- Tribute Edge really nailed the guitar on this one

This was my first tribute band show and it was interesting that it is pretty much like a regular U2 show on a much smaller scale-- there are the people who are a little too into it (ok that was us), the people who act too cool to be into it (I count Suit Guy in that group) and those who are so oblivious to it that you wonder if they even know who U2/2U are (yes, I am talking about "those two girls" who thought it was super cool to grind against each other during Bad and SBS). There are also the girls and guys who go crazy to get a picture taken with Tribute Bono and the rest of the band. Tribute Adam was especially popular and lapped up the attention given to him by the fairer sex.  As far as the band members themselves, for the most part they were exceptionally good in their roles. Tribute Larry stayed strong and silent by the drum kit, Tribute Bono had all the moves and mannerisms down and clearly relished his role. He even had the pattern of Bono's voice down.  All that was missing was the constant prattle (some people might find that a bonus).  Tribute Adam had the Adam pose down and was a little more outgoing than Adam usually is. I felt the weak point was Tribute Edge-- he talked way too much for Edge. Maybe it was because he really didn't look the part.  But all in all I was pleasantly surprised by the evening.

The highlight of the show was when our own RTSS requested the band to play RTSS. 2U gave it a good shot however, just like real Bono, Tribute Bono only got about 50% of the words right. It got to the point there Running was saying the words into TB's ears so he could sing the song! That alone made the night worth every penny.
Some pics from last night. Sorry, all I had was my phone. . .

Their Adam was pretty spot on. .
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Tribute Larry. . . well he stayed with the kit

Tribute BEdge

And Tribute Bono really played it up

TEdge (Tribute Edge)

All in all it was a fun night. So much so that some of us are planning to see the band again around St. Pat’s in the Baltimore area.  Hope others an join!

Offline theocean

• Deep In the Heart
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 06:24:32 AM »
We were a small but highly enthusiastic group last night. It ended up being a really fun night. MDMom rocks! Stay tuned for a full report and some really band phone pics.

2U is playing in the Balt area around St Pats so maybe this will give more of us a chance to get together.

My cousin told me about them years ago, the would play up here in Saratoga...i thought the name always sounded funny...2U.... :D :D :D :D Glad you guys had a great time...

Offline mdmomof7

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 08:17:00 AM »
I keep forgetting to post this. I've been so caught up w/ the Ravens and then got sick after the victory celebration. Ooops!

Here is the list of songs I recall them doing.

I know the first few are right. With the rest, I don't recall the specific order. I put an asterisk next to the ones I thought they performed particularly well.

Belisama - I was so enamored with the fact that they sang In God's Country that I didn't notice it wasn't their best of songs that night...  ;)

Is it St. Pat's Day yet?  ;D

Elevation
Beautiful Day *
I Will Follow *
Angel of Harlem
Running to Stand Still
In God's Country
Vertigo
Sunday Bloody Sunday *
Stuck
Streets
New Year's Day
Magnificent *
Bad * - I almost cried. Very well done.
ISHFWILF
UTEOTW *
Mysterious Ways *
With or Without You
Pride

Offline Belisama

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 09:48:03 AM »
Ah, MDMom-- I have seen you touting the Ravens throughout the forum-- way to represent!

It was a good time with the band and we must do the St Pat's thing!. You had a far better recolletion of the set list than I did. Maybe I was being too harsh about IGC. I just thought they were missing the beat. But I too was excited to hear them play it. If only they had heard our requests for Lemon, Acrobat and Drowning Man. . .

I do agree with your top picks, especially happy to see a Bad/40 mix and their MW was outstanding. And their Magnificent was better than some of the U2 versions I saw on the tour. 

Offline mdmomof7

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 03:32:21 PM »
Ah, MDMom-- I have seen you touting the Ravens throughout the forum-- way to represent! Someone has to show their appreciation.  ;)

It was a good time with the band and we must do the St Pat's thing!. Definitely! You had a far better recolletion of the set list than I did. Maybe I was being too harsh about IGC. I just thought they were missing the beat. But I too was excited to hear them play it. If only they had heard our requests for Lemon, Acrobat and Drowning Man. . . I think they could do it too!

I do agree with your top picks, especially happy to see a Bad/40 mix and their MW was outstanding. And their Magnificent was better than some of the U2 versions I saw on the tour. Ouch!  ;)

Offline Belisama

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 04:36:58 PM »
Ah, MDMom-- I have seen you touting the Ravens throughout the forum-- way to represent! Someone has to show their appreciation.  ;)

It was a good time with the band and we must do the St Pat's thing!. Definitely! You had a far better recolletion of the set list than I did. Maybe I was being too harsh about IGC. I just thought they were missing the beat. But I too was excited to hear them play it. If only they had heard our requests for Lemon, Acrobat and Drowning Man. . . I think they could do it too!

I do agree with your top picks, especially happy to see a Bad/40 mix and their MW was outstanding. And their Magnificent was better than some of the U2 versions I saw on the tour. Ouch!  ;)

LOL I am sorry but Mr The Edge had a really hard time with Magnificent this tour. At least at the shows I saw. He just could get on the beat. It was funny that for once it wasn't Bono's fault!

For St Pat's we will make them play Drowning Man, darn it!

And kudos to you for the oh so perfect purple Raven's font!