Author Topic: Rolling Stone Don Johnson Interview- Meeting U2  (Read 4421 times)

Offline JonD

• Wanderer
Re: Rolling Stone Don Johnson Interview- Meeting U2
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 05:12:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"Be kind please rewind".

That should be the title of U2's next album! If only they could rewind. ;)

Yeah I was the same, and it drove my family nuts -- I always insisted on rewinding videos before taking them back to the video store. Plus, you got fined if you didn't do it. Ah, those were the days... hey, I still have U2's Numb on VHS. I no longer have a video player though.

I still have Numb too (and all there VHS ie Zoo TV Interference) and my kids still watch old VHS Disney movies o once in a while I "go old school"LOL. Maybe they could release the next album on cassette or even 8 track! :-)
Jon

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 06:47:42 PM »
"Be kind please rewind".

Yeah I was the same, and it drove my family nuts -- I always insisted on rewinding videos before taking them back to the video store. Plus, you got fined if you didn't do it. Ah, those were the days... hey, I still have U2's Numb on VHS. I no longer have a video player though.

I still have Numb too (and all there VHS ie Zoo TV Interference) and my kids still watch old VHS Disney movies o once in a while I "go old school"LOL. Maybe they could release the next album on cassette or even 8 track! :-)
Jon

I still listen to cassettes when driving in the car.

Offline JonD

• Wanderer
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 07:01:15 PM »
"Be kind please rewind".

Jon

Our Minivan has a cassette player and I sometimes bring old mixed tapes to listen on road trips:-) I have most U2 albums on cassette but now fear they'll get "eaten", especially The Fly  cassette  single.  I always believed that cassettes "forced" listeners to listen to albums/sides as a whole- which is a good thing.  I often see 80's/90s albums as sides rather than individual singles.
Jon

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 08:56:49 PM »
"Be kind please rewind".

Jon

Our Minivan has a cassette player and I sometimes bring old mixed tapes to listen on road trips:-) I have most U2 albums on cassette but now fear they'll get "eaten", especially The Fly  cassette  single.  I always believed that cassettes "forced" listeners to listen to albums/sides as a whole- which is a good thing.  I often see 80's/90s albums as sides rather than individual singles.
Jon

I go even further. I record new albums that I purchase on compact disk on to cassettes and then play them in the car. I usually get two full albums on one cassette. I have some old cassettes as well, but like you said, you need to be careful there or you could break both the cassette and the cassette player.

Offline JonD

• Wanderer
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2013, 06:56:57 AM »
"Be kind please rewind".

Jon

Jon

I go even further. I record new albums that I purchase on compact disk on to cassettes and then play them in the car. I usually get two full albums on one cassette. I have some old cassettes as well, but like you said, you need to be careful there or you could break both the cassette and the cassette player.

Are cassettes made anymore?  I haven't seen one in a long time.

Offline mdmomof7

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know A body in a soul
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2013, 10:23:48 AM »
"Be kind please rewind".

We actually bought a separate video rewinder unit to avoid the imperialistic fines of the capitalists!  :P

Offline THRILLHO

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
"Be kind please rewind".

Oh I still have virtually all the officially released U2 VHS stuff. I don't plan on selling them either. Or throwing them away. Some of that stuff still hasn't seen a proper DVD release I.e. some of the 80s music videos. I used to hope they'd do a DVD release of every music video they've done.

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 03:54:42 PM »
"Be kind please rewind".

Jon

Jon

Are cassettes made anymore?  I haven't seen one in a long time.

Blank cassettes (normal bias) both 90 minute and 120 minute are still made. I see them in FYE and CVS, and I imagine other places sell them as well. To find a CD player that would record to audio cassette, I actually had to go to radio shack.

Offline KitCat

• Precious Stone
  • New album? Two words: MORE LARRY!!!
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2013, 04:18:24 PM »
We actually bought a separate video rewinder unit to avoid the imperialistic fines of the capitalists!  :P

Wait, what? How old was your VCR that it didn't rewind itself?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 04:20:36 PM by KitCat »

Offline mdmomof7

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2013, 04:21:50 PM »
^It did rewind itself, but to save the wear and tear on the heads and the kids mucking it up taking it out of the VCR too quickly, we bought the rewinder.

Offline THRILLHO

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2013, 10:15:59 PM »
^It did rewind itself, but to save the wear and tear on the heads and the kids mucking it up taking it out of the VCR too quickly, we bought the rewinder.

yea. i was given a brand new vcr in like 2005, and i bought a rewinder at a thrift store a year or so after. dont ever use your vcr to rewind your tapes!

Offline KitCat

• Precious Stone
  • New album? Two words: MORE LARRY!!!
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2013, 04:13:15 AM »

yea. i was given a brand new vcr in like 2005, and i bought a rewinder at a thrift store a year or so after. dont ever use your vcr to rewind your tapes!

How does the rewind unit differ from the VCR rewind function that it's better for your tapes?

Offline mdmomof7

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2013, 08:32:54 AM »
The rewind unit doesn't have the play heads the VCR does...me thinks. I am NOT the technical one in the house!  ;)

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2013, 07:46:19 PM »
has Bono cheated on Ali ever?
I think I read it in U2 by U2, but I wasn't sure.

I highly doubt it.  Remember, Bono has a huge ego and is a rock star.  He has a certain "image" to maintain in his professional life.  Sexy....sells records.  It is the same for most rock and pop preformers.  It doesn't mean, they are really like this off stage.

Offline The Exile

• Elevated
  • Exile, it's a small price to pay for bliss....
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2013, 07:55:23 PM »
I can't believe my jape about Bono being such a sinner in the '90s that he didn't rewind his videos before returning them has spawned a conversation about actually rewinding video tapes.