Author Topic: LARRY Interview Irish Times 11/01/2013  (Read 1975 times)

Offline miryclay

• Desert Rose
  • TOR 1&2, MONTREAL 1,3,4
Re: LARRY Interview Irish Times 11/01/2013
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 11:14:40 AM »
I thin Larry pulls this off because in real life he is a 'stirring' individual. Silent waters run deep you know...

Offline mdmomof7

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • I’m born again to the latest sound
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 12:45:22 PM »
Was anyone a bit concerned to hear LARRY use the RELEVANT word? All along I was thinking it was just a Bono hang up?

Offline The Edges Cat

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 05:24:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Was anyone a bit concerned to hear LARRY use the RELEVANT word? All along I was thinking it was just a Bono hang up?

Nope, because when Bono says stuff like U2 needing to be relevant, I know it's something the whole band has been discussing. It's obvious to me, but then I'm not in the "blame Bono for everything" camp like a few keyboard warriors. ;)

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 03:41:22 PM »
Man On The Train Trailer

Offline stigman

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • live is where we live
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 04:01:56 PM »
Larry is real as it gets nobody cares about the band more than he does folks just look forward to the music of the future!!

Offline boom boom

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 04:36:18 PM »

Nope, because when Bono says stuff like U2 needing to be relevant, I know it's something the whole band has been discussing. It's obvious to me, but then I'm not in the "blame Bono for everything" camp like a few keyboard warriors. ;)
This is the first time I've heard a member of U2 other than Bono talk about being relevant in public.  I know Bono has been going on and on about it, but Larry is the last person that I would assumed it bothered.  Maybe that is why the album is taking this long.  It took some time for Bono to brainwash the other members first.  Ha!Ha! Just joking.  But bottom line it all comes down to the work.  The work speaks for itself.  Do great work and relevancy takes care of itself.  I love U2 to death, but when he goes on about relevancy, it really bugs me.  It's like a child crying,  listen to me or we will call it quits.  But just talking about relevancy won't make you relevant, eventually you have to show us the work.  And boy, Bono may have talked U2 into a corner with all this talk about relevancy, the album better be damn good or we just might see the end of U2.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 04:42:46 PM by boom boom »

Offline The Edges Cat

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 09:57:01 PM »
Quote from: boom boom
This is the first time I've heard a member of U2 other than Bono talk about being relevant in public.

That's because you rarely hear the other members give interviews independent of the rest of the band! I have more claws on one paw than media interviews Larry, Adam, or Edge have done by themselves, without other members of U2 present. Bono often reflects what everyone in the band has been discussing -- as the spokesman, he feels it's his role to do so. Except for "The Edge is on fire", that's all Bono. Last interview I heard Edge give, he made mention of this fact, how Bono is the one up front taking all the hits for the rest of the band, and he feels bad for Bono for that.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Running to Stand Still
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 04:49:31 AM »
Larry: “You can only do this for as long as your music is relevant and for as long as people still want to hear it. What The Rolling Stones do is exceptional because they have an incredible blues legacy. But if we’re touring at 60 I like to think it’ll be because we’ve put out a record that’s good enough to tour. I don’t want to be one of those musicians who, when someone else in the band passes away, I’m one of the three left standing and wondering: “Well, what are we going to do now?”

It might be Captain Obvious, but I've had a hunch they've been thinking about finishing up. It gels with what they've all been saying (well, mostly Bono), that they'll only put out another album if it matches their best. By the time the next tour ends, they'll have been in the business for FORTY YEARS. As a fan of 25 years, I'm happy for them to go out with a bang and one more record and tour.

PS Eno and the neuroscientist cracks me up every time I hear that story. Larry should do more interviews and media, he's a cool guy to listen to. ;D

U2 still have 3 studio albums in their contract. Also, they did not get signed until early 1980 which means they have been in the business 33 years, not 40 years. It will be 40 in 2020.

I expect them to record at least three more albums and do at least two more tours at a minimum.

The Stones(Mick and Keith) turn 70 this year and they still have what it takes.

B.B. King will turn 88 this year and he is still on tour!

There you go again, trying to win arguments, being so pedantic, etc.

U2 formed the band in 1976. They worked their butts off playing a lot of shows before they ever got signed. You don't just start "the business" the day you get signed. Therefore the 40 year mark will be 2016. An album in late 2013, a tour in 2014, 2015 will put them at 39 years. For the sake of not being pedantic The Edge's Cat rounded that off to 40. Good enough for me. Maths class over for today.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Running to Stand Still
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 04:51:02 AM »
"40" the song is way overrated!
My hope for U2 would be to release 1 more great album and fade away like the Rolling Stones by touring

There is no reason to fade away when the band is healthy and fool of life. The Rolling Stones are nearly 20 years older than U2 and they may start touring again this year.

And if they want to retire, will you give them permission bethere?

Offline boom boom

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 05:24:20 AM »
Larry: “You can only do this for as long as your music is relevant and for as long as people still want to hear it. What The Rolling Stones do is exceptional because they have an incredible blues legacy. But if we’re touring at 60 I like to think it’ll be because we’ve put out a record that’s good enough to tour. I don’t want to be one of those musicians who, when someone else in the band passes away, I’m one of the three left standing and wondering: “Well, what are we going to do now?”

It might be Captain Obvious, but I've had a hunch they've been thinking about finishing up. It gels with what they've all been saying (well, mostly Bono), that they'll only put out another album if it matches their best. By the time the next tour ends, they'll have been in the business for FORTY YEARS. As a fan of 25 years, I'm happy for them to go out with a bang and one more record and tour.

PS Eno and the neuroscientist cracks me up every time I hear that story. Larry should do more interviews and media, he's a cool guy to listen to. ;D

U2 still have 3 studio albums in their contract. Also, they did not get signed until early 1980 which means they have been in the business 33 years, not 40 years. It will be 40 in 2020.

I expect them to record at least three more albums and do at least two more tours at a minimum.

I believe U2 have 1 album left under their contract which they signed beginining with Zooropa.  It was a 6 studio album deal which would leave 1 to go.  When did they sign an extension? this current 12 year deal with live nation has nothing to do making albums.  I don't believe they have any album deal with live nation.

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 09:31:01 AM »

I believe U2 have 1 album left under their contract which they signed beginining with Zooropa.  It was a 6 studio album deal which would leave 1 to go.  When did they sign an extension? this current 12 year deal with live nation has nothing to do making albums.  I don't believe they have any album deal with live nation.

The Zooropa deal was closed out with the 3 GH albums and POP, ATYCLB, and HTDAAB. Since 2006 they have been contracted for 3 albums. But there are clauses that allow them to back out of anything essentially.

Offline xy

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 12:01:44 PM »
GH deal was limited to 3 albums, and the 6 album deal was made irrelevant when U2 left Island records in 2006.

From Billboard news : 12-year deal with Live Nation Artists that includes worldwide touring, merchandising, and the band's U2.com Web site. The deal, however, is not a true 360-degree pact, as there is no publishing component and the band retains its relationship with Universal Music to release music.

I always thought the Live Nation deal was exclusive to touring/website, and that U2 didn't reveal their new record deal.

Offline miryclay

• Desert Rose
  • TOR 1&2, MONTREAL 1,3,4
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2013, 10:47:24 AM »
It might be so that stars can attend the premiere. It would make sense to do it this way because the actors can't be in one place all of the time.

They had Lincoln premiere last night so they are behind.

Why did it take so long for Man on the Train to come out in Ireland? I know this kind of thing happens with movies but that was a long gap between release in general and Ireland release.