Author Topic: New Year's Day Last Verse  (Read 1501 times)

Offline JohnInAthens

• Refugee
Re: New Year's Day Last Verse
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 05:26:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Don't know why they don't sing the last verse but will be glad not to hear this song again live.  Heard it on the UF Tour, JT Tour, Zoo TV Tour, Popmart, Elevation, Vertigo, and 360.  It's outlived it's use.  Put it to rest along with other staples.

I disagree.
Why? This along with songs like SBS, Pride, WOWY, ISHFWILF, should all be put to rest.  These songs no longer sound fresh and it's only use is to please the casual fan.  If anyone want to hear these songs live, they can put on any of their DVD's.

And if you don't want to hear these songs in concert anymore, you can always make a run to the toilets during them.

I can promise that there won't be a line.

Offline boom boom

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 04:12:01 AM »
I don't think that's particularly fair, though. 360 was my first U2 concert, and I was delighted to hear New Year's Day.
\
U2 have been more than fair when it comes to singing fan favorites for several tours now.  It's time to please their hardcore fans this time out.  Drop the staples and bring on the rarities!!
I don't know why, but to me that has never sounded like a good idea. It seems that the majority of people who go to U2 concerts are casual fans. So they would lose the majority of people going to concerts to see them, which can't be good. Anyway, I would love to hear New Year's Day live at least once. What a great song.

I'm not doubting it is a great song but it had it's run over the years and has gotten stale.  Believe me if you heard it as many times that I have over the years going back to the UF tour to the present you would understand.  They got to bring out a fresh new batch of songs from their back catalog to go along with the fresh new songs from their new album especially now that they are looking to get away from the nostalgia/hits act that Bono says he doesn't want U2 to become.
Ah, I understand why you might not want to hear it, and how playing the hits all the time would make U2 look like a nostalgia/hits act (which one could argue they have already become, as I said myself, most of the people going to U2 concerts are casual fans, but... let's not go there). However, there should be some sort of balance for young fans like me who haven't heard the famous songs before and feel they need to before they die, or maybe just want to hear the song because they like it. I wonder how U2 can please both generations...
It's easy.  Like you said, better balance, but they never seem to do this.  they play new songs, fill up the rest of the set with concert staples(hits and fan favs) and throw two bones for the longtime fans.  This tour it was UF and UV and then Zooropa.  That's hardly fair.  My $250 is just as good as the casual fans $250 who they seem to want to please even though they lose interest when they start to play new songs or don't recognize a song that is being played.  I hope they come up with a better balance this time(how about-8 new, 8 staples, 8 rare songs not played for some time) That should please both generations and both casual and hardcore fans.  Then I won't mind if they play NYD.

Offline boom boom

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 04:22:16 AM »
Don't know why they don't sing the last verse but will be glad not to hear this song again live.  Heard it on the UF Tour, JT Tour, Zoo TV Tour, Popmart, Elevation, Vertigo, and 360.  It's outlived it's use.  Put it to rest along with other staples.

I disagree.
Why? This along with songs like SBS, Pride, WOWY, ISHFWILF, should all be put to rest.  These songs no longer sound fresh and it's only use is to please the casual fan.  If anyone want to hear these songs live, they can put on any of their DVD's.

And if you don't want to hear these songs in concert anymore, you can always make a run to the toilets during them.

Well, if they want to be called a nostalgic/hits act which they say or at least bono has been going on about, that he doesn't want U2 to become by all means keep on singing them.  General consensus was 360 turned into a nostalgic/hits tour after they dropped the NLOTH songs like a bad habit.  Even other people are starting to think this as this article would suggest:
And you noticed NYD was mentioned in the article as one of the songs that had its day.
Oh yeah, I've already started going to the toilet during these songs as they have become boring and lost its effectiveness over the years. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 04:27:02 AM by boom boom »

Offline boom boom

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 05:32:06 AM »
What if you're a hardcore fan who really wants to hear New Year's Day, though? Can that fan not be pleased?
Don't know too many of those.  Most fans who have seen U2 going back to the early 80's don't wnat to hear these type of songs anymore.  But I'm not saying they don't have to play any hits but a better balance of more rariteis.

Offline JohnInAthens

• Refugee
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 06:12:54 AM »

I disagree.

Well, if they want to be called a nostalgic/hits act which they say or at least bono has been going on about, that he doesn't want U2 to become by all means keep on singing them.  General consensus was 360 turned into a nostalgic/hits tour after they dropped the NLOTH songs like a bad habit.  Even other people are starting to think this as this article would suggest:
And you noticed NYD was mentioned in the article as one of the songs that had its day.
Oh yeah, I've already started going to the toilet during these songs as they have become boring and lost its effectiveness over the years

... for you.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 12:41:41 PM »
I don't think that's particularly fair, though. 360 was my first U2 concert, and I was delighted to hear New Year's Day.
\
U2 have been more than fair when it comes to singing fan favorites for several tours now.  It's time to please their hardcore fans this time out.  Drop the staples and bring on the rarities!!
I don't know why, but to me that has never sounded like a good idea. It seems that the majority of people who go to U2 concerts are casual fans. So they would lose the majority of people going to concerts to see them, which can't be good. Anyway, I would love to hear New Year's Day live at least once. What a great song.

I'm not doubting it is a great song but it had it's run over the years and has gotten stale.  Believe me if you heard it as many times that I have over the years going back to the UF tour to the present you would understand.  They got to bring out a fresh new batch of songs from their back catalog to go along with the fresh new songs from their new album especially now that they are looking to get away from the nostalgia/hits act that Bono says he doesn't want U2 to become.
Ah, I understand why you might not want to hear it, and how playing the hits all the time would make U2 look like a nostalgia/hits act (which one could argue they have already become, as I said myself, most of the people going to U2 concerts are casual fans, but... let's not go there). However, there should be some sort of balance for young fans like me who haven't heard the famous songs before and feel they need to before they die, or maybe just want to hear the song because they like it. I wonder how U2 can please both generations...
It's easy.  Like you said, better balance, but they never seem to do this.  they play new songs, fill up the rest of the set with concert staples(hits and fan favs) and throw two bones for the longtime fans.  This tour it was UF and UV and then Zooropa.  That's hardly fair.  My $250 is just as good as the casual fans $250 who they seem to want to please even though they lose interest when they start to play new songs or don't recognize a song that is being played.  I hope they come up with a better balance this time(how about-8 new, 8 staples, 8 rare songs not played for some time) That should please both generations and both casual and hardcore fans.  Then I won't mind if they play NYD.
The second option you gave sounded pretty awesome, but the first option- the setlist that was basically the 360 Tour- sounded to me like it would do, too. I personally don't really care what songs I hear as long as I'm hearing U2. And there doesn't seem to be any rule that says they *have* to play rarities. However, I understand your point of view... So would you go to another show if the setlist was like the 360 Tour, with only a few rarities, just to see U2? Or would you care enough not to go?

Offline boom boom

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 01:31:05 PM »
\

The second option you gave sounded pretty awesome, but the first option- the setlist that was basically the 360 Tour- sounded to me like it would do, too. I personally don't really care what songs I hear as long as I'm hearing U2. And there doesn't seem to be any rule that says they *have* to play rarities. However, I understand your point of view... So would you go to another show if the setlist was like the 360 Tour, with only a few rarities, just to see U2? Or would you care enough not to go?
I will always go to see U2 and  see multiple shows, even if they don't change and still only play 1 or 2 rarities but hope one day they really change it up.  I haven't miss a show in my hometown Toronto since '84, including multiple nights and I don't plan on missing any in the future.

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • when the soul wants, the soul waits
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 01:31:31 PM »
What if you're a hardcore fan who really wants to hear New Year's Day, though? Can that fan not be pleased?
Don't know too many of those.  Most fans who have seen U2 going back to the early 80's don't wnat to hear these type of songs anymore.  But I'm not saying they don't have to play any hits but a better balance of more rariteis.

Yeah, I didn't see U2 in the early 80s on account of not existing yet. Why should I have been denied the opportunity to hear one of my favourite U2 songs in concert just because of that?

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 01:37:51 PM »
\

I will always go to see U2 and  see multiple shows, even if they don't change and still only play 1 or 2 rarities but hope one day they really change it up.  I haven't miss a show in my hometown Toronto since '84, including multiple nights and I don't plan on missing any in the future.
Okay. I figured that would be the case- it's still U2 no matter what they play.

Offline boom boom

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 02:00:43 PM »
[
Okay. I figured that would be the case- it's still U2 no matter what they play.
[/quote]
But my sole purpose for going is just to enjoy the new songs and the 1 or 2 rarities they throw per tour.  And of course STREETS!!  The only song that should be untouchable.

Offline boom boom

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 02:02:40 PM »

I disagree.

Oh yeah, I've already started going to the toilet during these songs as they have become boring and lost its effectiveness over the years

... for you.
And believe me, many, many, many, more.

Offline boom boom

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
\
There is also no rule that they have to play hits or concert staples either.  And I don't know why they felt the needed to drop the NLOTH songs of Bono came back from back surgery.  Tickets were already sold for all the shows.  If they believed in the songs they should have still played them. 

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 02:32:18 PM »
Yes, they should have been more confident in the No Line songs and remembered it was a tour supporting the album.

Also, I agree that Streets should never be taken out of the setlist. ;D

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 04:45:18 PM »

Yeah, I didn't see U2 in the early 80s on account of not existing yet. Why should I have been denied the opportunity to hear one of my favourite U2 songs in concert just because of that?

Same as Droo for me, as I'm just about 19 and haven't been able to see U2. Give me New Year's Day, please.

Offline boom boom

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 04:58:36 PM »

Same as Droo for me, as I'm just about 19 and haven't been able to see U2. Give me New Year's Day, please.
I recommend that you and those in the same boat just put any of these dvd's on : Under a Blood Red Sky, U2 Live in Paris, Zoo TV live in Sydney, Popmart live in Mexico, U2 Live at Slane, U2 live in Chicago on the Vertigo tour.  That's 6 different tours you can here NYD and with today's technology and surround sound systems it sounds just as good as being there.  That being said, I'm going to the theater tomorrow to watch U23D to hear all the songs I'm complaining about, yes and even NYD is in it.  Why I'm I going?  That is just what Die-Hards do. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 05:11:32 PM by boom boom »