Author Topic: Your First U2 Song  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Spinning_Jay

• Wanderer
  • Nerdfighters DFTBA!
Re: Your First U2 Song
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 10:14:37 PM »
First song I heard or saw rather was the music video for Where The Streets Have No Name on my mum's old VHS recordings from when MTV used to play music. The songs that got me hooked were With or Without you and Sunday Bloody Sunday (Live From Slane Castle) they were playing them on some radio station back to back as a 2 for Tuesday thing while going through Texas. I heard those two songs and fell in love with the band so at the next rest stop I bought U218 singles and played it to death.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2013, 10:17:34 PM »
Beautiful Day.  I knew instantly that this was my new favorite band. 

Offline emalvick

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 01:45:09 PM »
The first song I heard that I KNEW was U2 was The Fly.  That song and Zoo Station made me realize I had found my new favorite band (love at first sound) and they've held that spot ever since despite the slipping that goes with the stagnancy of 20+ years of being a fan.  After discovering U2, I later found realized that I knew all the JT hits just never paid attention to who it was that created them.  I was 10 when that album came out and was more into the Beastie Boys than quality rock music.

Offline Jono

• Numb
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2013, 03:32:18 PM »
11'oclock tick tock....then the remixes of NYD, THBAO and then when I/we all saw Bono smile when Edge started IWF during the UABRS show, I was done, sold, signed, sealed, delivered.

The passion of this band really can't be matched. With no disrespect to the other 3, Bono's passion and humanitarian dedication truly has been amazing to watch over 30 years!

It can make our hearts race, our minds explore and our souls dig deeper. 

And then I keep getting refreshed/renewed with each LP. They are really good at that!

Offline u2 fan in sc

• Babyface
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 11:29:36 AM »
We first got MTV in spring of 82 and they introduced my small town in South Carolina to some new music- which we sorely needed.  They played previously obscure groups like Duran Duran, Flock of Seagulls, Culture Club, and an odd duck called "Gloria" by u2.  That was my first u2 song, but it didn't blow me away.
What hooked me on u2 was seeing/ hearing New Year's Day on MTV in March 83 while home from college.  That prompted me to record War, and I've been a fan ever since.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Desert Rose
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »
The first songs of theirs I knew of were WOWY, ISHFWILF, and Desire, all from random radio-play.  I decided I liked them enough to by the Joshua Tree on cassette.  The first time I played it was the first time I heard Streets.  My jaw kind of hit the floor, and I was pretty much hooked from that moment on.

Offline Dali

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 03:34:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What the first ever U2 song you herd? And then thought... "Well i just found my favourite band..."  :)

Hmm, it didn't actually happen like that. One of my first CDs was "Mystery Girl" by Roy Orbison which contains the song "She's A Mystery To Me", produced by somebody with the strange name Bono, presented in the booklet with a writing credit of "Paul Hewson (Bono) and David Evans (The Edge)". Also, the publisher was listed as something like U2/Blue Mountain Music Ltd.

Slowly, I started being curious about other recordings which all those musicians who played on my CDs might have made. Being a kid in my early teens in 1989 in a pretty remote place of the world, I didn't make much of the U2 mention at all. I didn't understand it to be a band name. Strange letters listed in front of a publishing company, that's what it was. Instead, I was watching out for Bono and The Edge, but only a little, since I had other names from a few more booklets to discover, too.

Only in late 91 did we get satellite TV. And in early 92, this song came on MTV which had that great guitar melody at the end and other great counter-melodies on what I today know is called the bridge: "One". Artist name was U2. I remembered that from somewhere. Next, I went back to the booklet of "Mystery Girl" and indeed, there it was. U2 turned out to be a band name. Who would have thought that? Certainly not me.

Luckily for me, they played a few more songs by that band on MTV's Greatest Hits and they were all quite good songs: "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For", "Where the Streets Have No Name", "Angel Of Harlem", "All I Want Is You".

On my next visit to the record store, an hour's drive away from my parents' place, I had a listen to "Achtung Baby", "Joshua Tree" and "Rattle And Hum" and found a lot to like but I was pretty new to music so a lot of the sounds I didn't like (yet).
I didn't buy anything then.

After 2 or 3 more visits to the same store, I finally decided to go for "Achtung Baby". This one turned out to be pretty much a "grower" as far as liking songs is concerned, so at that point, it was my favourite.

The other discs have followed it later into my collection, even after "Zooropa" which I immediately liked a lot when it came out.

So the first song, technically, would be "She's a Mystery To Me". But I have to admit U2 never were my favourite band. That's probably due to strong competition from groups such as the Traveling Wilburys who were even more of a treasure trove to dig into because all of their members had solo careers with albums which have turned out to also be a very rewarding listen once I had found out about them.

I guess I'm more of a casual listener with U2. I got the albums and a few of the singles but that's about it.

Offline Clarky

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 05:44:25 AM »
Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me, batman forever soundtrack. Hell. Yes. Still one of my favs.

Offline kev346

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I'm ready I'm ready for the laughing gas
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 09:54:54 AM »
this post is making me feel really old .. for me it would most likely be ' surrender' off the war album .. my cousins boy friend at the time had a tape ( remember them ? :) ) of WAR . He would  play it all the time in his van something about 'Surrender ' as a 13 year old just grabbed me .. i knew then i had found my band :)

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2013, 10:33:05 AM »
As a kid my older brothers played Under a Blood Red Sky and Joshua Tree a lot, but the first U2 album I bought was Rattle & Hum and Desire was huge in my high school.

Offline imedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2013, 11:10:23 AM »
new years day,, but it was not until jt album that i felt this band were special ::)

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
  • Touch me...take me to that other place..
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2013, 11:13:29 PM »
The first U2 song I heard was Gloria and I've been a fan ever since...from note one. 

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2013, 10:13:08 AM »
Either I Will Follow or Out Of Control....which ever one was released first in the US prob. :)

Offline larrylove

• Wanderer
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2013, 10:29:07 AM »
pride my brother played the song over and over,that's how i became a fan, it was in 1984..still a huge fan.

Offline hrsan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2013, 01:55:12 PM »
The first song I heard was Gloria but didn't become a big fan until I heard Sunday Bloody Sunday.