Author Topic: The Edge: “Album by end of this summer"  (Read 6670 times)

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Running to Stand Still
  • There is no them, there's only us
Re: The Edge: “Album by end of this summer"
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2013, 09:27:30 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I found the original Mercy to be somewhere between mediocre and average, and the new one to be pretty good. I realise this puts me in a minority. The old one was way too padded, didn't sound at all finished and had those cringeworthy bridges which have thankfully been removed from the newer. (Sorry, but "You wanted violins and you got Nero" just reeks of Bono desperately trying to be clever and failing horribly)
There may be ways to polish the song, but for me it is perfect in that it is completely raw and honest. I personally love the Nero/ violins lyric, as I can resonate with it. But, each to their own.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2013, 03:05:54 AM »
As long as Bono doesn't release a Chocolate Chrome Mercy, Vanilla is all good.

You're silence, searching for a sound, Your heart is aching... love that part, particularly the emotion in Bono's voice.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Running to Stand Still
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2013, 06:35:57 AM »
As long as Bono doesn't release a Chocolate Chrome Mercy, Vanilla is all good.

You're silence, searching for a sound, Your heart is aching... love that part, particularly the emotion in Bono's voice.
I missed the vanilla reference in the first place?

Offline jick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2013, 02:07:24 PM »
I found the original Mercy to be somewhere between mediocre and average, and the new one to be pretty good. I realise this puts me in a minority. The old one was way too padded, didn't sound at all finished and had those cringeworthy bridges which have thankfully been removed from the newer. (Sorry, but "You wanted violins and you got Nero" just reeks of Bono desperately trying to be clever and failing horribly)

I agree with this fully.

Cheers,

J

Offline xy

• Numb
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2013, 11:52:59 AM »

Not quite as bad as "we're a binary code, a one and a zero".

Well...duh. Captain obvious , Bono.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2013, 01:27:22 PM »
No matter what form it is in, Mercy is an awkward mix of poor lyrics beside great lyrics. Much as I think the new one is far superior to the padded old one, it's hard to claim that "You wanna kill me and I wanna die" is a masterwork.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • ^ my face every time the album is delayed
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2013, 02:09:54 PM »
No matter what form it is in, Mercy is an awkward mix of poor lyrics beside great lyrics. Much as I think the new one is far superior to the padded old one, it's hard to claim that "You wanna kill me and I wanna die" is a masterwork.

As is "Because because because we can we must."

Offline Babyface1411

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2013, 03:12:54 PM »

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2013, 03:18:43 PM »

Thanks for that but I've seen so many of these "Oh, (insert U2 affiliated person) was seen (insert U2 affiliated place)," where its hard to tell if it means anything at all anymore.

Online THRILLHO

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2013, 04:02:15 PM »
Yea Mercy is overhyped beyond belief. All the above lyrics are the main reason why.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2013, 04:16:23 PM »

Definitely, although I give it a small pass not for being anything other than a bleh lyric but because it's a musically nice part of the song, particularly live. Needs tweaking though.

The WAIE edited version > The live 2010 version > the 2004 version. So hopefully on this path, the 2013 album version will be the best of all!

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2013, 04:30:54 PM »

Definitely, although I give it a small pass not for being anything other than a bleh lyric but because it's a musically nice part of the song, particularly live. Needs tweaking though.

The WAIE edited version > The live 2010 version > the 2004 version. So hopefully on this path, the 2013 album version will be the best of all!

I feel like a combination of the WAIE music and some of the more clever lyrics from the 2004 demo would turn it into a really fantastic tune.

Online eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2013, 05:29:53 PM »

Not quite as bad as "we're a binary code, a one and a zero".

Well...duh. Captain obvious , Bono.

I love both these lines. The new mercy sucks! 'Because x4 we can we must' is dreadful.