Author Topic: Fan or Fanatic?  (Read 1908 times)

Offline singnomore

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
Re: Fan or Fanatic?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 03:18:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I believe it's Jick's turn

Which one??  ;)

Offline missey

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 04:13:16 PM »
How could you have been a fan before they met in high school??  I consider myself a fanatic and would love to be front center at every show if I could! 

Missey, that's a literary device called hyperbole. Of course nobody could be a fan before they met. It's just a ridiculous exaggeration, to make a point.

Thanks for clearing that up Pasha, I guess it was lost on me.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 04:16:52 PM by missey »

Offline Abbey

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 09:27:20 PM »
How could you have been a fan before they met in high school??  I consider myself a fanatic and would love to be front center at every show if I could! 

Missey, that's a literary device called hyperbole. Of course nobody could be a fan before they met. It's just a ridiculous exaggeration, to make a point.

Don't feel bad missey...I was trying to figure that one out to! 

I would say I'm merely a fan.  Although I've been a fan since the Joshua Tree,  I didn't seriously begin to appreciate U2's music until about five years ago.  I have all their albums, but I've only been to two concerts and never in GA, let alone front and center.  Although the night I did that, I think my life would be complete :)

Offline missey

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 02:47:54 PM »

I would say I'm merely a fan.  Although I've been a fan since the Joshua Tree,  I didn't seriously begin to appreciate U2's music until about five years ago.  I have all their albums, but I've only been to two concerts and never in GA, let alone front and center.  Although the night I did that, I think my life would be complete :)

Thanks Abbey, I'm glad I'm not the only one!  Front and center is an unbelievable exerience, I was fortunate enough to stand in front of The Edge during the Vertigo tour in Madison Square Garden, nothing in front of me but stage.  Best day of my life!

Offline Abbey

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 11:20:12 AM »

Thanks Abbey, I'm glad I'm not the only one!  Front and center is an unbelievable exerience, I was fortunate enough to stand in front of The Edge during the Vertigo tour in Madison Square Garden, nothing in front of me but stage.  Best day of my life!

Wow, what I'd give for that experience!  I'm hoping they come back to MSG for the next tour!

Offline youngmanu2

• Babyface
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 09:23:09 AM »
Fanatic. Not a day goes by that I don't think about their music. They are the band of my life - as I'm the same age and began listening to them in the early 80's.

Offline emalvick

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 02:39:39 PM »
I used to be a fanatic.  I used to collect everything they released from Singles to Vinyl to DVD to Posters, Books, Calendars, etc.  Then it got too expensive, and I grew up.  I'm now just a fan.  I still buy the remasters, but I no longer collect everything.  I've eliminated most of my bootlegs and concert recordings.  I don't buy singles, and don't even try too hard to get to their concerts.  I'm 37 and was fanatical about U2 from '92 to 2005. 

Actually, I'm not fanatical about any band anymore.  U2 was my only true love or obsession when it came to music.  Now I'm just a fan of many bands and artists. 

Offline U2OnceAgain

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 03:07:19 PM »
I think this is where a generation gap will form. When I was in my 20s and 30s, U2 was something of a hobby of mine, I collected everything, listened to their music everyday, obsessed about seeing them in concert, thought Bono was God (just like he does). As I got older and life changed I grew away from U2. My life got busier and my priorities changed. I still am a big fan, I still collect stuff when released but if I miss something its no big deal. I still see them in concert but not every show. I don't listen to thier music very often until a new album is released, then I listen everyday.

I do feel U2 lost something in their live shows that maybe dosed the spark for me a little.

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 09:06:56 PM »
Fanatical fan. I still believe that GA tickets should only be procured by people who can successfully answer random U2 trivia quizzes.

Offline hrsan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 01:54:13 PM »
I, like everyone else here, have been a U2 fan before they even met in high school, I have also been to a million U2 concerts, have seen their first show in the 80's, have made contact with one if not all of U2 members at one time or another. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between being a "fan" or a "fanatic", but I'm glad to say that I'm a fan and NOT a fanatic.  Sure I have an @U2 membership but I have never seen the need to buy a "remastered digital" version of a CD I bought decades ago, and I don't need to see the first concert of every tour, or see them more than twice a tour, in fact I'd rather see U2 after their 20th concert once they have performed their playlist enough to get the kinks out. And just like most of you here, I have been in the front of center stage, but once is all I need - in fact I think one of U2 were quoted as saying they have seen the same persons, front center at many of their concerts (creepy).  Don't get me wrong, there have been moments in the past when I was close to fanaticism but was safely diverted, short of in need of an intervention. So, I'm not judging but just asking... are you a U2 fan or U2 fanatic? discuss

I guess it's different for everybody on where the line is crossed between fan and fanatic. I enjoy U2's music, I like to collect the B-sides, I like to see them live, but I don't feel the need to see more than one show per tour, or to follow or defend the members of the band for any reason.  I certainly don't care if anyone else likes them as music is a personal thing.   

zootv

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2013, 03:22:08 PM »
Fanatical fan. I still believe that GA tickets should only be procured by people who can successfully answer random U2 trivia quizzes.

This

Offline briscoetheque

• Airborne Ranger
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2013, 11:09:39 PM »
Strangely, I rarely listen to U2 but clearly they are my favourite band.

I couldn't tell you the last time I had one of their CDs on in my car or on my ipod.

I'll listen to their new albums like mad when they come out but there's so much other good stuff out that I never find myself listening to U2 outside that.

Offline sweet the sin

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 10:40:56 AM »
I'm a U2 fan. Call me hardcore, a fanatic, a diehard, whatever you want to call it. They're my favorite band and anyone who's around me for any length of time knows it.

Don't worry about the labels or how long you've been a fan. We're all here because U2's music has touched our lives in some way. That's what really matters.:)

Well said, couldn't agree more.

Offline dubzoo

• Wanderer
  • Every poet is a thief!
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 10:42:07 AM »
I am a fan and I made such a bold statement when I titled my memoir, I'm a Fan: How I married U2 into my life without going to the altar. This is not a shameless plug but a space for me to sit with like minded U2 fans and discuss what this bands means to us as fans. It is deeper and richer and not surface. We look to them for solace, direction or make our day better in these times of uncertainty. Better yet, our affinity for them makes us a tight knit family of fans. We all have our stories about how they touch us and direct us, which I think no other band of the last 20 years has done. They are entertainment but they also have a deeper philosophy of life. I look forward to every new album with excitement. Some stick with me and others go away, but the main fact that they are still creative and have the zeal to keep it going is what keeps me on the train.

Offline OptimaX

• Refugee
  • THERE IS JUST NOTHING BETTER THAN OPTIMAX!
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 05:38:05 PM »
I will never be as fanatic or as much of a fan of U2 as I am of ZOO TV.