Author Topic: The NEXT TOUR?  (Read 38162 times)

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
Re: The NEXT TOUR?
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2013, 01:16:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
He's on a roll

He's on something.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2013, 01:20:59 PM »
He's on crack.

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2013, 01:27:41 PM »
If Zeppelin reunited they could crush all touring records if they wanted to.

Zeppelin are only behind the Beatles in terms of records sold by a rock band. They've sold approx. double the albums U2 have and have less albums in their catalogue. All this without rarely ever releasing a single.

And they are just as popular now as they ever were. Led Zep DVD released in 2003 sold 1.3 million copies. It is the highest selling music DVD of all time and was tops on the music DVD sales charts for 3 straight years in the U.S. Their 2007 reunion concert in London set the record for most demand for a concert according to the Guinness Book of World Records with over 20 million ticket requests for the 1 show.

The Page & Plant shows were not a Led Zeppelin reunion. It was Page and Plant doing songs from their 90's albums and the Zep material they did do was with middle eastern orchestration. A Led Zep reunion with Jason Bonham on drums would be the biggest tour ever in terms of sales if they decided to play stadiums and charge what they know they can get.

The Eagles have sold almost as many albums as Led Zeppelin( 100 million in the United States alone), yet their highest grossing tour topped out at $251 million worldwide. Thats only 33% of what U2 did on 360.

So record high album sales with a small catalog of music does not mean your going to set the all time record at the concert box office.

Request for any artist that is popular that has not played in decades together, for a single show, will naturally be through the roof with individuals making dozens of requests. Thats not a sign of anything. Nor are sales of a single DVD.

Led Zeppelin's catalog album sales per year have been declining since the 1990s. Their studio albums no longer make the weekly top catalog album chart although you only have to sell 900 copies or so to make the chart. The only Led Zeppelin album that ever shows up is not a studio album but their equivalent of a greatest hits album, the Mothership album.

Then there is the fact that despite Led Zeppelin's extraordinary career, U2's 360 tour alone played to more people than Led Zeppelin did in their entire career!

Bethere, we are all major U2 fans here, but let's face the facts. U2 isn't even close to being as popular as Led Zeppelin. And I say this as someone who favorite musical act is U2. Led Zeppelin is a band that didn't even release singles, and they are second only to the Beatles in terms of records sold by a rock band. They are in the area of 300 million records sold, compared to 150 million by U2.

If Robert Plant gave the ok to do a year or more stadium tour with high ticket prices, Zep would crush 360. But I don't believe Plant will go that route even if they do reunite. My bet is he would want an arena tour.

Led Zeppelin have sold 111 million albums in the United States as confirmed by the RIAA. But the interernational figure is simply and estimate and may not be accurate. While Led Zeppelin was popular almost everywhere, there main base of popularity was in the United States. Nearly all of the stadium shows the band did do back when they were active were done in the United States. Few were done outside the United States.

Another thing is that album sales don't always equal concert ticket sales. The artist that sales more albums is NOT automatically going to do better on the road than the artist that sales less albums. Back when U2 had released the Unforgettable Fire album and were on tour for that album, it was found that U2 could outsell artist that had four to five times U2's album sales in concert.

As for whether to do an arena tour or a stadium tour, it would make no sense to play arena's when they could play stadiums. As long as the band have what they need to play, it doesn't matter where the show takes place. It is mainly a concern for fans. What type of show will I see and how close to the stage will I be able to get? Or will I get to see them play, or will all the tickets be sold before I can buy a ticket?

Yes, Led Zeppelin have sold more albums than U2. So has Mariah Carey, Madonna, the Rolling Stones, and AC/DC. But Mariah Carey, Madonna, and AC/DC have never done anything that has come remotely close to the 360 tour. The Rolling Stones to date are the closest, but that tour strained to reach its concert gross level with many of the stadium shows failing to sell out and some being less than half full.

On the other hand U2 360 tour played to an average of 66,000 people per night with all shows soldout or very close to it, from just 110 shows. There was demand for U2 to play more shows in smaller arena's, and stadiums, but the band stopped at that point because the theme of the tour demanded large stadiums in the round which had never been done before.

So while the 360 tour is the record for concert gross and attendance, it is actually not the maximum that U2 could have done on the road during that time period. The band could have added smaller shows in arena's and theaters which would have increased the final attendance and gross figures for the tour. Definitely something to keep in mind.

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2013, 01:29:02 PM »
A led zep tour alone could generate enough cash to join the G8.

Its highly unlikely they would generate as much cash as U2 360 did. After all, its not a real reunion since the drummer is not there.

they wouldn't generate the same cash U2 did because Zep wouldn't tour that long; Page and Jones will both turn 70 in 2014. If they were 10 years younger, they could go out for 18 months and clear a billion dollars easily.

LOL, what do you base that on?   Plus, what does turning 70 have to do with anything? B.B. King turns 88 this year and he still does up to 100 shows a year.

Again, a real reunion of Led Zeppelin is impossible. Page and Plant did well with their 1990s shows together, but they did not set or break any major records. Adding John Paul Jones to the lineup is not going to dramatically change interest, although it would increase it.

You know what kind of show BB King does at age 88?

I have a friend who goes to see him every time he comes to town, and this is how he described it to me: the show runs about an hour, and half the time, he talks to the crowd while the band softly vamps in the background. You only get about half a dozen whole songs performed. He isn't exactly burning down the juke joint all night long these days.

I saw Sinatra back in '87, and his show was about 1 hour and 15 minutes at best - including the band intros and outros which opened and closed the show. That's about what Tony Bennett (who's in his 80s like BB) gives you these days as well. Dylan, Willie Nelson, they do shorter shows now, too. The only performer in his 70s I can think of who's doing 2-hour shows is Leonard Cohen.

What about the Rolling Stones? Several of their members are above 70 and Keith and Mick turn 70 this year. They are still playing like they did 30 years ago.

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2013, 01:30:50 PM »
20 million people applied for tickets for the Zep reunion show (including me, I didn't get one)

20 million times say $200/ticket = $4B assuming they could stay out long enough to play to that many people.

A Zeppelin reunion is by far the most sought after show ever , more so even than a Floyd reunion.

Yes, John Bonham is dead, we know, but call it what you will, a Zep reunion tour would eat 360 for lunch.

I think the only band that *might* have a chance at competing with 360 would be the Stones.

As for reunions...most bands do it when they're too old.
3 words though: Guns. And. Roses. The original lineup once Axl and Slash come to their senses.

The demand for the Stones isn't no where near as high as it would be for a reunited Zeppelin. The Stones have toured regularly for the last 30 years.

GnR are not even in the same ball park in terms of popularity as Zeppelin.

Led Zeppelin don't have John Bonham anymore and your grossly underestimating the impact that will have.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2013, 01:31:38 PM »
A led zep tour alone could generate enough cash to join the G8.

Its highly unlikely they would generate as much cash as U2 360 did. After all, its not a real reunion since the drummer is not there.

they wouldn't generate the same cash U2 did because Zep wouldn't tour that long; Page and Jones will both turn 70 in 2014. If they were 10 years younger, they could go out for 18 months and clear a billion dollars easily.

LOL, what do you base that on?   Plus, what does turning 70 have to do with anything? B.B. King turns 88 this year and he still does up to 100 shows a year.

Again, a real reunion of Led Zeppelin is impossible. Page and Plant did well with their 1990s shows together, but they did not set or break any major records. Adding John Paul Jones to the lineup is not going to dramatically change interest, although it would increase it.

You know what kind of show BB King does at age 88?

I have a friend who goes to see him every time he comes to town, and this is how he described it to me: the show runs about an hour, and half the time, he talks to the crowd while the band softly vamps in the background. You only get about half a dozen whole songs performed. He isn't exactly burning down the juke joint all night long these days.

I saw Sinatra back in '87, and his show was about 1 hour and 15 minutes at best - including the band intros and outros which opened and closed the show. That's about what Tony Bennett (who's in his 80s like BB) gives you these days as well. Dylan, Willie Nelson, they do shorter shows now, too. The only performer in his 70s I can think of who's doing 2-hour shows is Leonard Cohen.

What about the Rolling Stones? Several of their members are above 70 and Keith and Mick turn 70 this year. They are still playing like they did 30 years ago.

No, they're not.

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2013, 01:32:41 PM »
I think an ABBA reunion would unquestionably be a contender. Original line-up of the second biggest selling band of all time! It would be right up there.

Unlikely because Abba were never a big concert selling band. U2's North American Unforgettable Fire tour back in 1985 sold many times more tickets than Abba's total combined concerts in North America in their career.

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2013, 01:34:03 PM »
20 million people applied for tickets for the Zep reunion show (including me, I didn't get one)

20 million times say $200/ticket = $4B assuming they could stay out long enough to play to that many people.

A Zeppelin reunion is by far the most sought after show ever , more so even than a Floyd reunion.

Yes, John Bonham is dead, we know, but call it what you will, a Zep reunion tour would eat 360 for lunch.

I think the only band that *might* have a chance at competing with 360 would be the Stones.

You are right on the money with that!

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2013, 01:39:03 PM »
He's on crack.

Is it appropriate to be saying something like that to another member of the forum? Do you think its consistent with the rules and regulations of the forum that you agreed to abide by when you registered?

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2013, 01:40:01 PM »
He's on crack.

Is it appropriate to be saying something like that to another member of the forum? Do you think its consistent with the rules and regulations of the forum that you agreed to abide by when you registered?

Are you a mod ? Or a wanna be mod ?

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2013, 01:41:29 PM »

As for reunions...most bands do it when they're too old.
3 words though: Guns. And. Roses. The original lineup once Axl and Slash come to their senses.

The demand for the Stones isn't no where near as high as it would be for a reunited Zeppelin. The Stones have toured regularly for the last 30 years.

GnR are not even in the same ball park in terms of popularity as Zeppelin.

Led Zeppelin don't have John Bonham anymore and your grossly underestimating the impact that will have.

Yeah maybe instead of 20 million wanting to see them it would be 30 million.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #101 on: March 02, 2013, 01:41:56 PM »

You are right on the money with that!

The Stones are the band that, following your reasoning, satisfied ticket demand playing only five arena shows last year. :D

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 01:55:07 PM by Tumbling Dice »

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2013, 01:44:18 PM »
People, can we please please please work in an 'I Will follow" clip and popmart attendance in Tampa ?

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2013, 01:44:46 PM »
I think an ABBA reunion would unquestionably be a contender. Original line-up of the second biggest selling band of all time! It would be right up there.

Unlikely because Abba were never a big concert selling band. U2's North American Unforgettable Fire tour back in 1985 sold many times more tickets than Abba's total combined concerts in North America in their career.

That's because ABBA (or at least one member of ABBA) hated touring. I dare say U2's TUF tour alone probably contained more live dates than ABBA's entire career.

P.S If you remove the stick from your ar*e your points might be a little more welcomed.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2013, 01:58:24 PM »

That's because ABBA (or at least one member of ABBA) hated touring. I dare say U2's TUF tour alone probably contained more live dates than ABBA's entire career.

P.S If you remove the stick from your ar*e your points might be a little more welcomed.

What's more, Bjorne of Abba insisted that touring didn't really help sales of albums that much, but rather, it was making promotional appearances that did.  So that contradicts another one of Bethere's long cherished convictions.