Author Topic: The NEXT TOUR?  (Read 15534 times)

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
The NEXT TOUR?
« on: January 26, 2013, 03:54:42 PM »
 Just got my copy of "From The Ground Up" this week. I read some of it, particularly the last few pages which has some hints about what the band is planning for the next tour, or at least what they are thinking.

Their tour promoter, Arthur Fogul stated that he thinks the next tour will be scaled down in size with the band going back indoors and playing arena's. He also mentioned having different stage productions in order to have the flexibility to play more places. Adam Clayton also mentioned that going indoors on the next tour seem to be what most people were thinking about. There is also an idea not to tour in the real sense and only play in a few select cities and have people come to them.

I was surprised to read all of this because I was pretty sure the next tour would once again be outdoors, simply due to demand for tickets. But it looks as though the band would prefer to really shake things up again in this respect. The risk of course would be many fans being disappointed because they were unable to get tickets. But Arthur Fogul's idea about "flexibility" suggest they may play some bigger places to relieve the demand pressure in the big cities.

I also saw a suggestion where they would like to change the way they have recorded and toured for 25 years. They would like to have a shorter recording process as well as a shorter tour to support that album. Interesting.

Its a very nice book by the way, and I'm stunned you get it simply by renewing your fan club membership. Oh, and there are also some nice pictures of the band and LIVE ALBUM of Edge's favorite songs from the 360 tour that come with the book. Very Cool!

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
  • it's a little late to grow morals now, no?
Re: The NEXT TOUR?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 04:05:51 PM »
Well, the Stones are supposedly about to pull the select-cities thing, so I'd be surprised if a lot of superstar-level acts aren't at least considering doing the same thing.

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • when the soul wants, the soul waits
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 04:41:05 PM »
Select cities makes me very sad, as those select cities are certainly not going to be anywhere near me. I can't afford to travel very far right now, so if they do decide to stupidly do a micro-tour, then I won't be able to see them. :(

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 05:23:57 PM »
I'm sure they will play outdoors in Ireland no matter what, as they have continuously after ZooTV.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Release date of LP 13 ^
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 05:30:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Select cities makes me very sad, as those select cities are certainly not going to be anywhere near me. I can't afford to travel very far right now, so if they do decide to stupidly do a micro-tour, then I won't be able to see them. :(

Same

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Precious Stone
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 06:04:09 PM »

Same

Things might be prohibitively expensive even for people in and around those select cities once the super fans of the world descend upon those limited tickets and the starry-eyed scalpers have their way.  :( I don't want to think about it!

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Running to Stand Still
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 02:36:55 AM »
I'm a bit like you, but I live in Siberia. I saw them in Moscow in 2010, but that was already 3500 kms. Nothing is ever close for me. How amy times have you seen them play?

Offline LToy

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 02:49:53 AM »
I have 2 thoughts on this -

1) Supply & Demand market forces will sort out what happens with tickets, even the ones snapped up by the scalpers.  I know that's little consolation to those fans who feel left out in the cold, but scalpers have just as much to lose as the fans, especially if they get stuck with a bunch of tickets that won't sell i.e. - bad seat location, over priced ticket, decreased demand due to additional concert dates being offered, or additional tickets released for a show previously listed as sold out.  Eventually it will be in their best interest to sell those leftover tickets; the trick is to leverage the circumstances in your favor to force the scalpers to lower their prices.  In the end it will all come down to timing & research into what ticket options are available.

2) For anyone who doubts the viability of doing concerts in only select cities, I would point to the last concert of the Vertigo Tour in Honolulu, Hawaii back in December 2006.  What this showed was that U2 fans from all across the globle were willing to spend money & travel to a vacation destination just to see a concert.  U2 fans have proven that they will go to just about any length to see their favorite band play in concert.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 02:51:53 AM by LToy »

Offline boom boom

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 06:28:58 AM »
Well, the Stones are supposedly about to pull the select-cities thing, so I'd be surprised if a lot of superstar-level acts aren't at least considering doing the same thing.
Yeah, this seem to be the new trend, especially with the older acts.  Select cities with high ticket prices. 

Offline shorne

• Refugee
  • Two crap albums in a row and we're done...
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 06:48:15 AM »
This'll be like ZOO TV all over again.  U2 will sart in arenas... and market forces forces will force them to play in bigger places. Or maybe not.

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 07:20:05 AM »
For the next tour, I think they should stick to stadiums.  U2 was able to sell 80,000 seats with just one venue.  It makes it much easier to get tickets.  Plus, our stadium is better than our arena, especially with sound quality.

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • when the soul wants, the soul waits
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 11:37:25 AM »

I'm a bit like you, but I live in Siberia. I saw them in Moscow in 2010, but that was already 3500 kms. Nothing is ever close for me. How amy times have you seen them play?

I saw them 4 times on the 360 Tour. Once in 2009 and three times in 2011.

Offline singnomore

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 03:07:48 PM »
According to my sources they are planning a 15 date tour of Scotland

Offline _acrobat

• Desert Rose
  • Am I really all the things that are outside of me?
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 03:27:43 PM »

Talking to executioner again? ;D

Offline singnomore

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 03:30:32 PM »

Talking to executioner again? ;D

Indeed - seemingly they are playing 14 of those nights in my home town! Imagine how lucky that is  ;)