Author Topic: The NEXT TOUR?  (Read 18882 times)

Offline The Exile

• Elevated
  • WWW.DRUNK EXPASTORS.COM
Re: The NEXT TOUR?
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2013, 10:26:59 PM »
I wonder what the tour three tours from now will be like? Will they drop the songs from two albums from now that haven't been written yet?

Discuss.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Running to Stand Still
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2013, 06:14:36 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I wonder what the tour three tours from now will be like? Will they drop the songs from two albums from now that haven't been written yet?

Discuss.

Maybe they will just play a medley of their new stuff. And then all of Zooropa including the Wanderer, with Johnny Cash descending from on high for a special appearance.

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2013, 08:08:27 PM »
If Zeppelin reunited they could crush all touring records if they wanted to.

Zeppelin are only behind the Beatles in terms of records sold by a rock band. They've sold approx. double the albums U2 have and have less albums in their catalogue. All this without rarely ever releasing a single.

And they are just as popular now as they ever were. Led Zep DVD released in 2003 sold 1.3 million copies. It is the highest selling music DVD of all time and was tops on the music DVD sales charts for 3 straight years in the U.S. Their 2007 reunion concert in London set the record for most demand for a concert according to the Guinness Book of World Records with over 20 million ticket requests for the 1 show.

The Page & Plant shows were not a Led Zeppelin reunion. It was Page and Plant doing songs from their 90's albums and the Zep material they did do was with middle eastern orchestration. A Led Zep reunion with Jason Bonham on drums would be the biggest tour ever in terms of sales if they decided to play stadiums and charge what they know they can get.

The Eagles have sold almost as many albums as Led Zeppelin( 100 million in the United States alone), yet their highest grossing tour topped out at $251 million worldwide. Thats only 33% of what U2 did on 360.

So record high album sales with a small catalog of music does not mean your going to set the all time record at the concert box office.

Request for any artist that is popular that has not played in decades together, for a single show, will naturally be through the roof with individuals making dozens of requests. Thats not a sign of anything. Nor are sales of a single DVD.

Led Zeppelin's catalog album sales per year have been declining since the 1990s. Their studio albums no longer make the weekly top catalog album chart although you only have to sell 900 copies or so to make the chart. The only Led Zeppelin album that ever shows up is not a studio album but their equivalent of a greatest hits album, the Mothership album.

Then there is the fact that despite Led Zeppelin's extraordinary career, U2's 360 tour alone played to more people than Led Zeppelin did in their entire career!

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2013, 08:57:55 PM »
If Zeppelin reunited they could crush all touring records if they wanted to.

Zeppelin are only behind the Beatles in terms of records sold by a rock band. They've sold approx. double the albums U2 have and have less albums in their catalogue. All this without rarely ever releasing a single.

And they are just as popular now as they ever were. Led Zep DVD released in 2003 sold 1.3 million copies. It is the highest selling music DVD of all time and was tops on the music DVD sales charts for 3 straight years in the U.S. Their 2007 reunion concert in London set the record for most demand for a concert according to the Guinness Book of World Records with over 20 million ticket requests for the 1 show.

The Page & Plant shows were not a Led Zeppelin reunion. It was Page and Plant doing songs from their 90's albums and the Zep material they did do was with middle eastern orchestration. A Led Zep reunion with Jason Bonham on drums would be the biggest tour ever in terms of sales if they decided to play stadiums and charge what they know they can get.

The Eagles have sold almost as many albums as Led Zeppelin( 100 million in the United States alone), yet their highest grossing tour topped out at $251 million worldwide. Thats only 33% of what U2 did on 360.

So record high album sales with a small catalog of music does not mean your going to set the all time record at the concert box office.

Request for any artist that is popular that has not played in decades together, for a single show, will naturally be through the roof with individuals making dozens of requests. Thats not a sign of anything. Nor are sales of a single DVD.

Led Zeppelin's catalog album sales per year have been declining since the 1990s. Their studio albums no longer make the weekly top catalog album chart although you only have to sell 900 copies or so to make the chart. The only Led Zeppelin album that ever shows up is not a studio album but their equivalent of a greatest hits album, the Mothership album.

Then there is the fact that despite Led Zeppelin's extraordinary career, U2's 360 tour alone played to more people than Led Zeppelin did in their entire career!

Bethere, we are all major U2 fans here, but let's face the facts. U2 isn't even close to being as popular as Led Zeppelin. And I say this as someone who favorite musical act is U2. Led Zeppelin is a band that didn't even release singles, and they are second only to the Beatles in terms of records sold by a rock band. They are in the area of 300 million records sold, compared to 150 million by U2.

If Robert Plant gave the ok to do a year or more stadium tour with high ticket prices, Zep would crush 360. But I don't believe Plant will go that route even if they do reunite. My bet is he would want an arena tour.

Offline KitCat

• Precious Stone
  • Free yourself to be yourself.
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2013, 01:52:52 AM »
The Eagles have also been reunited since 1994, you can't really compare them to Led Zep. And you can't compare their tours to U2 because they play small venues.

Led Zep have a huge fanbase and a generation of them haven't even seen them live, I'm sorry, but if they staged something similar to 360, chances are they'd make a butt ton more money (not least because they likely wouldn't have a set up as expensive as the Claw.)

This isn't a dis against U2, it's just reality.

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
  • be the insult u want to make
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2013, 09:18:52 AM »
A led zep tour alone could generate enough cash to join the G8.

Its highly unlikely they would generate as much cash as U2 360 did. After all, its not a real reunion since the drummer is not there.

they wouldn't generate the same cash U2 did because Zep wouldn't tour that long; Page and Jones will both turn 70 in 2014. If they were 10 years younger, they could go out for 18 months and clear a billion dollars easily.

LOL, what do you base that on?   Plus, what does turning 70 have to do with anything? B.B. King turns 88 this year and he still does up to 100 shows a year.

Again, a real reunion of Led Zeppelin is impossible. Page and Plant did well with their 1990s shows together, but they did not set or break any major records. Adding John Paul Jones to the lineup is not going to dramatically change interest, although it would increase it.

You know what kind of show BB King does at age 88?

I have a friend who goes to see him every time he comes to town, and this is how he described it to me: the show runs about an hour, and half the time, he talks to the crowd while the band softly vamps in the background. You only get about half a dozen whole songs performed. He isn't exactly burning down the juke joint all night long these days.

I saw Sinatra back in '87, and his show was about 1 hour and 15 minutes at best - including the band intros and outros which opened and closed the show. That's about what Tony Bennett (who's in his 80s like BB) gives you these days as well. Dylan, Willie Nelson, they do shorter shows now, too. The only performer in his 70s I can think of who's doing 2-hour shows is Leonard Cohen.

Offline xy

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2013, 10:51:11 AM »
20 million people applied for tickets for the Zep reunion show (including me, I didn't get one)

20 million times say $200/ticket = $4B assuming they could stay out long enough to play to that many people.

A Zeppelin reunion is by far the most sought after show ever , more so even than a Floyd reunion.

Yes, John Bonham is dead, we know, but call it what you will, a Zep reunion tour would eat 360 for lunch.

I think the only band that *might* have a chance at competing with 360 would be the Stones.

As for reunions...most bands do it when they're too old.
3 words though: Guns. And. Roses. The original lineup once Axl and Slash come to their senses.

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2013, 12:11:01 PM »
20 million people applied for tickets for the Zep reunion show (including me, I didn't get one)

20 million times say $200/ticket = $4B assuming they could stay out long enough to play to that many people.

A Zeppelin reunion is by far the most sought after show ever , more so even than a Floyd reunion.

Yes, John Bonham is dead, we know, but call it what you will, a Zep reunion tour would eat 360 for lunch.

I think the only band that *might* have a chance at competing with 360 would be the Stones.

As for reunions...most bands do it when they're too old.
3 words though: Guns. And. Roses. The original lineup once Axl and Slash come to their senses.

The demand for the Stones isn't no where near as high as it would be for a reunited Zeppelin. The Stones have toured regularly for the last 30 years.

GnR are not even in the same ball park in terms of popularity as Zeppelin.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2013, 12:26:06 PM »
I think an ABBA reunion would unquestionably be a contender. Original line-up of the second biggest selling band of all time! It would be right up there.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:29:19 PM by Bads316 »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2013, 12:26:24 PM »
A reformed Led Zep tour would be the biggest challenger to 360 in terms of ticket demand, though in practice they probably wouldn't sell as many tickets if they did tour, because they probably wouldn't play as many shows and they might play arena shows as well as stadiums.

As for the Stones; stadium fatigue set in after the Bridges to Babylon tour.

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2013, 12:52:02 PM »
A reformed Led Zep tour would be the biggest challenger to 360 in terms of ticket demand, though in practice they probably wouldn't sell as many tickets if they did tour, because they probably wouldn't play as many shows and they might play arena shows as well as stadiums.

Venue size is decided by demand. Typically, if your playing arena's, its because you can't play a stadium in that particular market. There is NO such thing as stadium fatigue, arena fatigue, auditorium fatigue, or theater fatigue. There is such a thing though as artist losing their past level of popularity and demand to see them live in concert.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2013, 12:53:05 PM »

Venue size is decided by demand. Typically, if your playing arena's, its because you can't play a stadium in that particular market. There is NO such thing as stadium fatigue, arena fatigue, auditorium fatigue, or theater fatigue. There is such a thing though as artist losing their past level of popularity and demand to see them live in concert.

Laughing my tackle off.

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2013, 01:05:04 PM »

LOL, there may have been 20 million applications, but there were not 20 million people. It is only the dream of dedicated or near religiously devoted Zep fans that they would eat 360 for lunch and then tour the rest of the Universe.

Its easy to dream and pretend that one's long defunct beloved artist will part the seas and move mountains if they returned, but reality of what would happen is far different.

First, there was the demand levels the band had back when they were a band. Was Led Zeppelin the most in demand band back in the late 70s? Well, concert stats show that The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, and even at the time Aerosmith did shows and tours with as large or larger attendance.

Second, the drummer is no longer here meaning a true reunion is impossible. That is a fact that decreases demand.

Third, after 33 years, there are people that are no longer interested in going to events like that or perhaps are just not interested in Zep anymore enough to pay $100 dollars a ticket or greater to see them in concert. Things change, and it may not be possible to repeat a bands past glories after so much time away.

No doubt the Legend of the band is huge, but that does not automatically translate into record breaking boxoffice results. This often happens to other artist, although on a different and smaller scale.

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2013, 01:10:56 PM »
The Eagles have also been reunited since 1994, you can't really compare them to Led Zep. And you can't compare their tours to U2 because they play small venues.

Led Zep have a huge fanbase and a generation of them haven't even seen them live, I'm sorry, but if they staged something similar to 360, chances are they'd make a butt ton more money (not least because they likely wouldn't have a set up as expensive as the Claw.)

This isn't a dis against U2, it's just reality.

Thats actually incorrect. The Eagles do play stadiums. Their 1994-1996 reunion tour played many stadiums in North America and other parts of the world. Demand usually determines the size venue you play. If your playing smaller sized venues, it usually means the demand is not there to play a larger venue.

Also, reality should be based on facts. There are few facts supporting several of the assumptions about a Led Zeppelin tour 33 years after they broke up without 1/4 of the band. Also, time away especially at this length does not always insure success. In fact, it usually has a negative effect for most artist.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2013, 01:14:12 PM »
He's on a roll