Author Topic: Has U2 Finally Become Lyrically Bankrupt?  (Read 14693 times)

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Has U2 Finally Become Lyrically Bankrupt?
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2013, 06:29:11 PM »
I disagree Jick Bon Jovi.    NLOTH is loaded with great lyrics:

"Im a traffic cop, Rue du Marais, the sirens wailing but its me that wants to get away".  -- I remember hearing this for the first time and thinking, I have way too much in common with this guy.

"I was speeding on the subway, through the stations of the cross, every eye looking every other way, counting down 'til the pain would stop".  --  Painful/powerful stuff..

"From the womb, my first cry, it was a joyful noise"   --   That line alone is a masterpiece.

I think the problem is with everyone OTHER than Bono.    Case in point, "Fez-Being Born".    That's a song that isnt necessarily lyrically "brilliant", yet I think it's the best song on there.   

Offline U2runnr

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Vision over visibility
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2013, 06:34:06 PM »
"The stone was semi-precious
We were barely conscious
Two souls too smart to be
In the realm of certainty
Even on our wedding day

We set ourselves on fire
Oh God, do not deny her
Itís not if I believe in love
If love believes in me
Oh, believe in me

At the moment of surrender
I folded to my knees
I did not notice the passers-by
And they did not notice me

Iíve been in every black hole
At the altar of the dark star
My bodyís now a begging bowl
Thatís begging to get back, begging to get back
To my heart
To the rhythm of my soul
To the rhythm of my unconsciousness
To the rhythm that yearns
To be released from control "

Masterpiece.

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2013, 06:50:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think, however, their best lyrics came from the Joshua Tree era. There isn't one song there that has bad lyrics; all of them are uniquely great!

TJT is the be-all and end-all for me but I occasionally scratch my head over the "I want to reach out and touch the flame" lyric and we all know what song THAT is from.    Sounds to me like he just needed something to rhyme with "name"..

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2013, 06:56:06 PM »
Not to dwell on this or nothing, but what about the line from EBW, "we know the fear of 'when', so we end before we begin".   If that isn't sinking in when you first read it, give it some time..

Offline U2runnr

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Vision over visibility
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2013, 08:20:50 PM »
Not to dwell on this or nothing, but what about the line from EBW, "we know the fear of 'when', so we end before we begin".   If that isn't sinking in when you first read it, give it some time..

An excellent line, but itn't it "we know the fear of winning, so we end before we begin"? At least that's what i'm hearing!

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2013, 09:11:58 PM »
I hear it as "winning", too. Which is still a brilliant line.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2013, 09:39:45 PM »

An excellent line, but itn't it "we know the fear of winning, so we end before we begin"? At least that's what i'm hearing!

EBW proves that he can still write pretty fantastic lyrics, even if it is hit or miss now.

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2013, 10:00:52 PM »

That is what is on the lyrics page but it's incorrect.   Speaking of which, I notice how the lyric in Heartland;"heavens gate, here in the heartland" didn't make it on the lyric page correctly either.

Offline feedback

• Refugee
  • 'Father is an Elephant'
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2013, 11:14:46 PM »
If a Bon Jovi fan starts criticizing your lyrics, you know you're in trouble.

But in all fairness to Jick, Bono does need a thesaurus. He should either:

a) find new ways to say the same thing
                                                                      or
                                               b) start conveying something different altogether.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:35:06 PM by feedback »

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2013, 11:33:30 PM »
If a Bon Jovi fan starts criticizing your lyrics, you know you're in trouble.

But in all fairness to Jick, Bono does need a thesaurus. He should either a)find new ways to say the same thing or b)Start conveying something different entirely.

Maybe that is Bono's problem. He relies too much on computers now to write his lyrics.  Where are the good old days when he would write them on paper?  It gives it a more organic and natural feel.

Cheers,

J

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2013, 12:54:01 AM »
Bono is running out of ways to tell us how much he loves his god.

Do I detect that you are mocking Bono? Why is it you are a U2 fan?

Ummm, who are you to question my fandom exactly ?

You win.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2013, 12:56:02 AM »
I don't find anything spiritual about All Because Of You. I always thought it was a song to Ali, not God.

Magnificent, too, I interpret in a more humanistic way rather than religious.

That may be, but I can see much in there that is spiritual. But there's no point arguing that with you. It does annoy me that you want to criticise Bono for his spirituality though.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2013, 12:57:56 AM »
Okay, where does this sudden interpretation of ABOY as a religious song come from? The song is dripping in sex.

"I'm alive, I'm being born, I just arrived, I'm at the door of the place I started out from, and I want back inside"

Bono either has a, er, "special" relationship with God, or it's not a religious song.

You don't understand metaphor?  Or is it just because you can not imagine a lyric unconnected with sex?

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2013, 01:02:31 AM »
-White as Snow is an extremely profound song.

But this thread is about lyrics. Is "to sleep the night, shooting out the stars" a good line? I don't know what it means.

-Magnificent a deep song of worship.

Yes, but the lyrics aren't very good (despite its being my favorite song on NLOTH)

-Original of the Species speaks perfectly as a father to his first born child.

Again, it's not about what the song is like or even about, but whether its lyrics are good. "I'll give you everything you want, except the thing that you want"? "I want the lot of what you got, and I want nothing that you're not"?

-I can also speak first hand to "All because of you I am."
"Intellectual tor-TOISE." 'Nuff said.

-Bono's relationship with his father in Sometimes you can't make it... is nothing short of tear jerking.

That song's lyrics, though, are horrendous. "Tough. You think you got the stuff"? There are some decent lines in there, though.

-Yahwheh is a song that brings me from the depths of my own sinfulness into the joyous hope of faith in God.

Yahweh has got to be the bottom of the barrel, lyrics-wise. I know you're a Christian, Pasha, which is probab;y why you prefer the songs you do. But lyrically, Yahweh sucks. "Click-clacking down some dead-end street"? Is Bono in eighteenth-century Holland wearing wooden clogs? "Polyester white trash, made in nowhere"? Ugh.

I feel sorry for people who can't appreciate the lyrical depth of the last three albums. They have only continued to get deeper in my opinion.

I can list roughly half the songs from each of their last three albums as evidence of how false that claim is. Yes, there are some great lines in there (MOS, BB, WILATW), but the majority of them are banal at best, embarrassing at worst.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Shooting out the stars,- lying beneath the stars pretending to shoot them all; watching shooting stars. Makes sense to me.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2013, 03:46:09 AM »
My view is those albums you hold dear musically are those therfore you probably relate more lyrically to. Not surprised AB is being positioned as Bono's lyrical peak since this forum has a huge sway of preference to that album as being U2's best work.

For me I love 80's U2 and I relate more to those lyrics as they combined with the songs themselves are what got me hooked inthe first place.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say..!