Should U2 try changing up the encore?

I like the spiritual closer
23 (62.2%)
I'd like to see more of a rock closer
11 (29.7%)
I'd need to see both to decide which I prefer
3 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Ending with a bang  (Read 2595 times)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Ending with a bang
« on: February 01, 2013, 10:15:22 AM »
Since the hints of a new album have had me listening to more U2 again recently, I've gotten to thinking. One tradition that U2 have upheld almost since the beginning is the downbeat ending. Look at their more regular tour closers since 80s; "40", "Love is Blindness", "Can't Help Falling In Love", "One/Unchained Melody", "Wake Up Dead Man", "Bad", "Moment of Surrender". Mostly ballads, mostly slow, all decidedly downbeat. There have been some exceptions, of course; most notably "Walk On" which was at least upbeat although it was hardly a rocker, Vertigo sometimes in 2005-6 and Out of Control at the very very end of 360 + Glastonbury.  And we know that U2 were toying with a much more rocking encore early in 360 rehearsals, with NLOTH, Elevation, Go Crazy and Vertigo all in the encores for a while.

But of course, when you think about it, U2's relatively rare in that. An awful lot of bands tend to end with their biggest song, and a lot of others like to end with fast, loud upbeat rock songs to leave the audience wanting more and with their ears buzzing. U2 have always tended to opt for more "spiritual" closers, which maybe give more closure.

So, what do we think? Would you be interested in seeing U2 go outside their comfort zone and play more of a "rocking" encore? Or do you prefer the spiritual approach? And can any of us even imagine a setlist where WOWY is there but not in the encore?

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • I've Seen For Myself There's No End To Grief...
Re: Ending with a bang
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 11:15:40 AM »
I have no problems with U2 ending a concert with a "Moment Of Surrender" or a "Love Is Blindness". As long as they do it right then it's great.

But, I would love to see them bring out a shock ending. Think back to Glastonbury, who honestly expected them to finish with Out Of Control? But it was a great surprise. More of those would be very welcome I think.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 11:22:40 AM »
This is a great question.  I'm a fan of the "spiritual" endings I guess.  I'm sure I wouldn't be upset if I saw a rocker close a show, but I really think the spiritual closer "wraps things up" in a way.  I like that.

With that said, almost every non-U2 concert I can think of didn't end in a slow, meditative way.  Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall, the rocking lead single off Mylo Xyloto, was an amazing closer at my Coldplay concert.  Sara Bareilles played the jam-fest that was Let The Rain for her closer.  I guess it all depends on the artist.

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
  • be the insult u want to make
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 11:45:07 AM »
I'd like to see a more rocking encore, if only because they don't do that. I saw NIN 7 times, and the first 5 times they ended the night with "Head Like A Hole." When they used "In This Twilight" as their final bow on the Lights In The Sky tour, it just might have been the highlight of the night.

HyperU2

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 11:46:02 AM »
Walk On comes close to being my favorite closer, not that it's not spiritual.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 12:22:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Walk On comes close to being my favorite closer, not that it's not spiritual.

Yeah, Walk On is an interesting mix because of course it's very spiritual and emotional but it's also decidedly more upbeat and less of a ballad than most U2 closers.

Offline boom boom

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 07:06:43 AM »
Prefer a fast rocker this time like they did on 360 a couple of times and Glastonbury by coming back and playing Out of control.  I only wished they did it throughout the tour.  I think maybe ending with Vertigo next time out could be good.

Online _acrobat

• Precious Stone
  • Am I really all the things that are outside of me?
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 07:15:42 AM »
Voted spiritual, though I could definitely go for either

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 08:27:54 AM »
Closing with MOS in a stadium setting for me was brilliant.

Gave me a head start on getting out of the parking lot.

Ditto with 40, will watch the first couple mins but when it starts to be sing along time it's time to go, I did that 30 years ago many times but getting a head start on traffic is higher priority these days.

When they closed with Bad on Vertigo or Walk On I did stay to the end, so really depends on the song.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 09:54:02 AM »
I guess I like the spiritual closer more. It's one of those things that makes U2 better from other bands, ending with an uplifting song.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • ^ my face as I'm listening to the new album.
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 12:38:16 PM »
I think Walk On was the combination between a upbeat rocker and a spiritual song. While it may not be one of my favorite ending, I think it was one of the best. The song had a positive message, and the band seemed to really put emotion into it when performing it live. Not to mention it took special meaning after 9/11. Look at some of the New York City performances of the song.

zootv

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 08:18:25 PM »
I use to think I prefer spiritual closers until I got to see Out of Control close one of my 360 shows. Wow, what a closer!

Offline MASTER YODA

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 09:22:44 PM »
I would say spiritual song...but if you're talking about 40, then all bets are off

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 05:08:53 PM »
I'd like to see "40" at my U2 show if I ever see them again.

Offline Smee

• Desert Rose
  • Controversial, but true!
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 12:20:33 PM »
As with everything.....id like to see them mix it up a little. Some shows go for the spiritual/uplifting close........other shows.....finnish the show with a kick in the ass rocker