Author Topic: Best version of "With or Without You" you may have not heard before  (Read 2668 times)

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
Re: Best version of "With or Without You" you may have not heard before
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2013, 01:06:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Gasp! I can't  believe the optional/erratic "Shine like stars" coda was already in existence during the JT era! I was only familiar with it from Slane castle!

I skipped straight to the 4:55 part and, one criticism: Bono's articulation ain't that great during this song. Sounds like he's slurring his words  :-\

Haven't you ever seen Rattle & Hum?

Offline THRILLHO

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2013, 02:28:24 PM »
Gasp! I can't  believe the optional/erratic "Shine like stars" coda was already in existence during the JT era! I was only familiar with it from Slane castle!

I skipped straight to the 4:55 part and, one criticism: Bono's articulation ain't that great during this song. Sounds like he's slurring his words  :-\

Haven't you ever seen Rattle & Hum?

You'd be surprised how many people here haven't seen it. Or refuse to based on bad reviews alone.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2013, 02:44:23 PM »

This version is pretty interesting, someone's spliced together lots of versions. It's amazing how powerful Bono's voice was in 87. Just listen! His 80s voice was incredible. Full voiced. That's not to say it's not matured like a fine wine but it was incredibly powerful in 87.

I'm a big fan of the Milan 2005 version shown, amazing version.

I love listening to this instrumental version too, they have taken off Bono's vocals, amazing to just hear the band playing.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:01:15 PM by eddyjedi »

Offline flopro

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • The Edge is god... Bono's just a decoy...
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2013, 04:59:43 PM »
You'd be surprised how many people here haven't seen it. Or refuse to based on bad reviews alone.

I bought and watched it the other day and what a treat it is! After reading the reviews i did wonder 'it can't be that bad can it?', but it really isn't!

I love listening to this instrumental version too, they have taken off Bono's vocals, amazing to just hear the band playing.

Sorry to point this out but that's not U2 playing, it's just a backing track with Drums and Bass then the person has added some synth and guitar. At the end of it (3:47 in) it is the band though.  :P

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2013, 05:00:54 PM »

I bought and watched it the other day and what a treat it is! After reading the reviews i did wonder 'it can't be that bad can it?', but it really isn't!

Sorry to point this out but that's not U2 playing, it's just a backing track with Drums and Bass then the person has added some synth and guitar. At the end of it (3:47 in) it is the band though.  :P

It is U2 I've played the two tracks together, it's identical.

Offline THRILLHO

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2013, 05:09:49 PM »

It's not bad. A lil to serious and sometimes cheesy but its worth seeing.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2013, 05:10:59 PM »

It's not bad. A lil to serious and sometimes cheesy but its worth seeing.

Play the song alongside it, it's definitely the band.

Offline THRILLHO

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2013, 05:12:12 PM »
I wasn't responding to you sorry I misquoted.

Offline flopro

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • The Edge is god... Bono's just a decoy...
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2013, 05:22:35 PM »

Point 1). There are no natural harmonics played at 2:30, in the originel band version The Edges plays harmonics and a basic chord

Point 2). There is no riff change at 3:04, in the originel band version The Edges plays the echo riff then changes to chord this it where Bono sings 'Ooooo oooo o oooo'

Point 3). The Edge use's a sustain guitar on the song, with a slight echo and shimmer. On this video it sonds more like a keyboard synth with slight reverb and little echo.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2013, 05:28:52 PM »

Point 1). There are no natural harmonics played at 2:30, in the originel band version The Edges plays harmonics and a basic chord

Point 2). There is no riff change at 3:04, in the originel band version The Edges plays the echo riff then changes to chord this it where Bono sings 'Ooooo oooo o oooo'

Point 3). The Edge use's a sustain guitar on the song, with a slight echo and shimmer. On this video it sonds more like a keyboard synth with slight reverb and little echo.

It's identical, it doesn't have all the guitar parts as it's obviously a selected track mix, the drums and the sound of the riff are identical to the song.

Offline singnomore

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2013, 07:17:46 PM »
I've removed some posts that have nothing at all to do with the discussion and remind posts should be about the topic not having a go at someone with a different point of view.

Back to the discussion..

Offline stuc

• Stateless
  • I can't change the world but .....
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2013, 08:18:12 PM »

Maybe that's because of where they've placed it in their shows; as far as I know, it's always been one of the encore songs right from the beginning of the 1987 tour. Perhaps they should move it around in the setlist a bit; I'd like to see them come out with a couple of more uptempo songs and then go into WOWY in the #3 spot.   8)

Yeah  Ive thought this for a while, would definitely suit an earlier slot

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2013, 04:55:38 PM »
This version from L.A in 1987 is pretty good. It has the extended Shine Like Stars/Love Will Tear Us Apart ending.

I have a bootleg of the Vancouver arena Zoo TV show in 1992 where Bono just takes off at the end, but unfortunately couldn't find it on Youtube.

Gotta disagree with the poster who said that 360 With or Without You is being done well. I checked out some different versions on Youtube and came to the same conclusion I did from the 2 360 shows I saw myself, and that is that U2 can not do justice to this song anymore. Bono needs Edge to help him a lot more on the vocals, and he gets the crowd to sing a lot of the Ohoo Ohoo Ohoos.

Offline THRILLHO

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2013, 05:37:08 PM »
This version from L.A in 1987 is pretty good. It has the extended Shine Like Stars/Love Will Tear Us Apart ending.

I have a bootleg of the Vancouver arena Zoo TV show in 1992 where Bono just takes off at the end, but unfortunately couldn't find it on Youtube.

Gotta disagree with the poster who said that 360 With or Without You is being done well.
I checked out some different versions on Youtube and came to the same conclusion I did from the 2 360 shows I saw myself, and that is that U2 can not do justice to this song anymore. Bono needs Edge to help him a lot more on the vocals, and he gets the crowd to sing a lot of the Ohoo Ohoo Ohoos.

most all of us disagree that the song should stay. and yea that Vancouver boot is greatness

Offline stuc

• Stateless
  • I can't change the world but .....
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2013, 07:58:05 PM »

This is from Chicago on the first leg of the Joshua Tree tour.  I feel this is such a strong performance. 

Bono goes somewhere differently vocally between 4:55-5:30 and I get goosebumps everytime.  Larry is also really kicking it hard. 

I know the Rattle and Hum version is awesome but as far as unofficial versions, this ranks atop the rest.
I bought a two disc bootleg of this show on Ebay when I was 16.  This in my opinion is the best Joshua Tree show.
Let me know what you think
I mainly want anyone who hasn't heard it before to hear it.  I prefer to listen with headphones.  Love to hear

Just listened to imo best WOWY versions from each tour since '87 and its sad that the song has lost so much of its tempo, urgeny and passion.  Yes every song should be somewhat reinvented as the years go on both for the artist and fans sakes but only if it still does the original compositio justice.  Thanks you for this version, this is now the default setting for WOWY performances