Author Topic: Pope Benedict resigning  (Read 6266 times)

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
  • be the insult u want to make
Pope Benedict resigning
« on: February 11, 2013, 06:06:10 AM »
He gave his two-weeks notice a few hours ago; thoughts?

Offline striker

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Dream Out Loud
Re: Pope Benedict resigning
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 07:06:01 AM »
I guess he couldn't handle Twitter.  Rage quit 8)

Anyway, we can now rest easy that the rightful pope will take his place.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 07:48:39 AM »
He is resigning because of health issues.  I would like to see the next Pope be from the United States.  I think that American Catholics may be more liberal in belief.  Birth Control is fine, pre-menopausal women use it for medical reasons and family planning.  Condoms prevent the spead of disease and every Catholic I know, has no problem with gay marriage. 

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 09:53:42 AM »
I'm glad to see him being proactive about the Holy See rather than dying in office. Too many leaders insist on staying in office (or running for office) without considering what would happen if they were to drop dead tomorrow.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 10:01:54 AM »
Catholic Church out of touch ? Hell no, when we resign we do it in LATIN !!!!

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 11:14:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
He is resigning because of health issues.  I would like to see the next Pope be from the United States.  I think that American Catholics may be more liberal in belief.  Birth Control is fine, pre-menopausal women use it for medical reasons and family planning.  Condoms prevent the spead of disease and every Catholic I know, has no problem with gay marriage. 

The archbishop of New York, Timothy Dolan, is said to be in the running, along with a high ranking Canadian bishop. There is also a few from Latin America, Ghana, and the Philippines that are looked at as candidates, as well of course the Italians and other Europeans. I think it is time to look seriously at candidates outside of Europe, but even more then that is to look at candidates who are closer to 60 then in their 70's. Let's have someone who will have the required energy it takes to do the job.

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • when the soul wants, the soul waits
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 11:17:33 AM »
Goodbye, Ratzinger. Don't let the giant golden door hit you in your homophobic Nazi butt on the way out. :)

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 11:18:12 AM »

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Why bother posting on this topic? There are many on here who hold their faith and the papacy dear.

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 11:19:55 AM »
Goodbye, Ratzinger. Don't let the giant golden door hit you in your homophobic Nazi butt on the way out. :)

You're a clown. EVERY male child his age was placed into the Nazi youth camps, he wasn't there by choice.

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 11:24:51 AM »
Joseph Ratzinger’s claims about the Hitler Youth are not true. Compulsory membership was first defined in 1936 and reinforced in 1939, not in 1941 as he says. Ratzinger also says that he was “still too young” at the time, but he was 14 in 1941 and not too young at all: between the ages of 10 and 14, membership in the Deutsche Jungvolk (a group for younger children) was mandatory. Yet there is no mention of Raztinger belonging. If he had managed to avoid the required membership in the Deutsche Jungvolk, why did he suddenly join the Hitler Youth in 1941?

Source:

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 11:28:06 AM »
Joseph Ratzinger’s claims about the Hitler Youth are not true. Compulsory membership was first defined in 1936 and reinforced in 1939, not in 1941 as he says. Ratzinger also says that he was “still too young” at the time, but he was 14 in 1941 and not too young at all: between the ages of 10 and 14, membership in the Deutsche Jungvolk (a group for younger children) was mandatory. Yet there is no mention of Raztinger belonging. If he had managed to avoid the required membership in the Deutsche Jungvolk, why did he suddenly join the Hitler Youth in 1941?

Source:

Take a look at who the source article is from: atheeism.com. I'm sure they are an objective group with no bias towards the church.

This is from wikipedia

"Following his 14th birthday in 1941, Ratzinger was conscripted into the Hitler Youth—as membership was required by law for all 14-year-old German boys after December 1939[13]—but was an unenthusiastic member who refused to attend meetings, according to his brother"
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:32:29 AM by So Cruel »

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 11:31:59 AM »
It's actually from about.com's atheism subpage.

Besides, people could and did resist compulsory enlisting in the Hitler Youth. Ratzinger did not.

Ultimately, though, I'm really just having a jab at his youthful involvement with the Nazis. My real beef is with his spouting of homophobic and hateful rhetoric.

EDIT: "According to his brother." Oh yeah. THAT'S not a biased source. /sarcasm
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:37:40 AM by Drooropa »

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 11:58:21 AM »
It's actually from about.com's atheism subpage.

Besides, people could and did resist compulsory enlisting in the Hitler Youth. Ratzinger did not.

Ultimately, though, I'm really just having a jab at his youthful involvement with the Nazis. My real beef is with his spouting of homophobic and hateful rhetoric.

EDIT: "According to his brother." Oh yeah. THAT'S not a biased source. /sarcasm

The FACT that at 14 German males were forced into the Nazi youth camp was sourced from the book "The Third Reich in Power". The comment that he was unenthusiastic and didn't attend meetings was from his brother.

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 01:20:40 PM »
I know. But it's how he reacted to the conscription that really matters, and I hesitate to take his brother's word on that, considering the obvious bias inherent there.

This is an exciting time for the Church. If they choose the right kind of Pope, they can go a long way to updating their antiquated positions on certain subjects to align with modern knowledge. Much like the Republican party, how they proceed from here can either sink or swim their standing on the world stage.

Offline striker

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 01:35:18 PM »

Why bother posting on this topic? There are many on here who hold their faith and the papacy dear.
Why not? Look, the mitre was clearly made to accommodate a rabbit's ears is all I'm saying.