Author Topic: New Tour (Or Dream) Setlist, what does it look like?  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Spinning_Jay

• Wanderer
  • Nerdfighters DFTBA!
New Tour (Or Dream) Setlist, what does it look like?
« on: February 16, 2013, 09:58:38 PM »
With all this talk about the new album me and some friends were talking about what we think the new setlist will look like or what we hope it to look like. So what I want to know is what does your dream setlist look like? Remember to include space for the new songs and if you'd like to add switches between the songs then feel free to do so. Also try to keep the setlist from 22-25 songs.

Here's what I hope the new tour setlist looks like, I have a feeling it's going to be gun control heavy for the North American leg. The pop songs I feel would most likely be played in Mexico and South America.

1. New Song
2. New Song
3. New Song
4. Discotheque/Mofo/Gone
5. Get On Your Boots/vertigo
6. Out Of Control/I Will Follow
7. Elevation/Beautiful Day
8. Breathe/No Line On The Horizon/Mercy
9. I'll Go Crazy Tonight (Album version)
10. New Song
11. City Of Blinding Lights/Zooropa/The Unforgettable Fire
12. Kite/Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
13. Stand By Me/Love Rescue Me/One Tree Hill
14. Bad/Walk On/Pride (In The Name Of Love)
15. Where The Streets Have No Name
16. Sunday Bloody Sunday/Exit/Drowning Man
17. Running To Stand Still/Mothers The Disappeared (dedicated to gun violence victims)
18. Bullet The Blue Sky (Anti-Gun violence like elevation tour)
19. Until The End Of The World
20. The Fly
21. One
22. Ultra Violet (Light My Way)/Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
23. Love Is Blindness/Moment Of Surrender/With Or Without You
24. New Song

Offline flopro

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • The Edge is god... Bono's just a decoy...
Re: New Tour (Or Dream) Setlist, what does it look like?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 10:39:10 AM »
1). New song
2). New song
3). The Electric Co.
4). Even Better Than The Real Thing - into - Vertigo
5). Bad
6). Who's Gonna Ride Your White Horses
7). New song
8). New song
9). The Fly
10). Lemon
11). New song
12). Bad
13). Where The Streets Have No Name
14). New song
15). Winter
16). Party girl - into - Moment Of Surender
17). Peace On Earth
18). A Sort Of Homecoming
19). Miracle Drug
20). If God Will Send His Angels
21) Sunday Bloody Sunday
22). "40"
23). Love Is Blindness
24). With Or With Out You
25). Exit (If there's time)

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Running to Stand Still
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 04:18:01 AM »
Only 5 or 6 new songs? That's not good enough. Personally I feel that if a song is good enough to make it on to an album then it should be good enough to play live. Therefore if there are 11 songs on the album they should all be played. Knowing that does not happen, 7 is an absolute minimum, and 9 is a better number. All new songs should be rotated from show to show, so that they all get a run.

Offline striker

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 11:22:18 AM »
They should stick to newer songs. The classics have been overdone, and if they are performed people will just b**** about them 'not sounding as good as before.' It just gets old.
It'd be cool if they could just perform new material and be all about that. All about the U2 of now, the U2 at 50 years of age and counting. Maybe some rare stuff in the mix. Based on how long it's taking them to put another album out, and a new direction with DM, I'd say we have a pretty good setlist coming up.

No sense in pretending songs like New Year's day/WOWOY/Bad, etc still have the same fire/meaning as before, because they don't. Going through the motions in their last tour with said songs is disappointing. Don't get me wrong, I love the JT/Zoo eras, and a few classics in the new show could work, but I'd rather live in the now than pretend we'll ever get those songs with the JT/Zoo passion again.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:24:33 AM by striker »

Offline Quenchable Thirst

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • It's a private show, no one else's gonna know
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 04:07:56 PM »
@Spinning_Jay: that setlist looks pretty much like a 360 replica. I would hate it if they tried playing too many of their classics and very few new songs again. It was nice that they played Scarlet, Your Blue Room, TUF and some others, but I'm getting tired of WOWY and One (go ahead and hate me for that).

@flopro: Hmm... I don't think Bono will ever be able to sing Lemon again (at least not as it should be sang). WGRYWH sounds like something they could pull off though, I'd love to see that being played.

I do hope they play some songs we rarely get to hear as well as some B-sides, but what I really hope is that they have enough confidence in their new album to play many of their songs.

Offline Spinning_Jay

• Wanderer
  • Nerdfighters DFTBA!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 05:27:57 PM »
I agree and I hope the band has enough confidence to play their new songs and more from their most recent albums but I have a feeling that with Bono trying to remain "relevant" they're going to sink back into the U2 greatest hits juke box phase, especially after the success with they had with the 360 tour.

Plus these set lists aren't meant to be taken seriously it's a fun idea that popped into my mind I think most of my picks come from the fact that I haven't had the chance to see U2 live and are the songs I would have liked to have seen played had I attended a concert.

Offline Allie79

• Numb
  • Mild, green and squeaky clean
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 05:40:09 PM »
New song
New song
New Years Day
Ultraviolet
Gone
Exit
New song
Wire
Gloria
Bad
New song
No line on the horizon
Where the streets have no name
I Will Follow
New song
Fez being born
Last Night On Earth
Love is blindness
New song
Even better then the real thing
Until the end of the world
Surrender
New song
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
New song
Party Girl/40

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 09:45:39 PM »
I was thinking about this again, and the desire that U2 not become a greatest hits band, but hopefully that they can remain creative and contemporary. To this end I think that many songs need to be retired from the greatest hits barrage.

My list (based on my opinions of course) of songs that remain is this:
1) New Years Day
2) Sunday Bloody Sunday
3) Where the streets have no name
4) The Wanderer (my indulgence, but most likely not included!)
5) Beautiful Day
6) Vertigo (may not stand the test of time in the future, but is still a recent hit single that should be included).
7) City of Blinding Lights
8) Yahweh (another of my indulgences)
9) Magnificent
10) Moment of Surrender

That's only ten songs from the past, or 8 as the case may be, which leaves room for 12 new songs. A U2 show often runs for 20-22 songs, so there should be room to play the entire new album. What better way for them to be contemporary, especially since this next album should be the best they have ever released as they are taking so much extra time to finish it.  ;)

Offline So Cruel

• Precious Stone
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 11:38:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was thinking about this again, and the desire that U2 not become a greatest hits band, but hopefully that they can remain creative and contemporary. To this end I think that many songs need to be retired from the greatest hits barrage.

1) New Years Day
2) Sunday Bloody Sunday
5) Beautiful Day
6) Vertigo (may not stand the test of time in the future, but is still a recent hit single that should be included).
9) Magnificent
10) Moment of Surrender

That's only ten songs from the past, or 8 as the case may be, which leaves room for 12 new songs. A U2 show often runs for 20-22 songs, so there should be room to play the entire new album. What better way for them to be contemporary, especially since this next album should be the best they have ever released as they are taking so much extra time to finish it.  ;)

So out of their 3 biggest selling albums (JT, R&H, AB) you think they're only gonna play 1 song from all 3 combined? Not a chance.

Offline flopro

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • The Edge is god... Bono's just a decoy...
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 12:53:28 AM »
@flopro: Hmm... I don't think Bono will ever be able to sing Lemon again (at least not as it should be sang). WGRYWH sounds like something they could pull off though, I'd love to see that being played.

If they change the pitch of the song or make a new arrangement i think Lemon could work, but would need allot of work to work! And the band have said that they'll never be abel to play WGRYWH live because of it's complex argument, but i'm sure they'll find a way of doing it and do it good!

Taken from Wiki: Adam Clayton said, "It's a great torch song, with melody and emotion, but I don't think we ever captured it again and we have never really been able to play the song live."

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 03:13:25 AM »

1) New Years Day
2) Sunday Bloody Sunday
5) Beautiful Day
9) Magnificent
10) Moment of Surrender

So out of their 3 biggest selling albums (JT, R&H, AB) you think they're only gonna play 1 song from all 3 combined? Not a chance.

Achtung Baby, Schmachtung Baby.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 03:15:24 AM »
When I think back over the last thirty years (apart from my two indulgences and Vertigo), those are the seven songs that stand out the most. You could add in One of course, but One doesn't do it for me that much. I happen to like Even Better... and The Fly quite a lot, but I just think they should be rested and are not as good as the other 7 (in my list).

There is nothing from Rattle and Hum that is a stand out.

With or without you, Still haven't found, Bullet the Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still are fantastic songs that are definitely stand outs. From that list it could be good for them to bring Running to Stand Still back in, but the other 3 could use a rest.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 03:19:45 AM by Pasha »

Online Pocket Merlin

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 10:20:13 AM »
I want to hear:

"Grace"
"When I Look At The World"
"Being Born"
"Some Days Are Better Than Others"
"Sweetest Thing"
"Window In The Skies"
and loads of new songs.

I don't care if it's too hard. I don't care if you need 2 or 3 extra musicians. Make it happen!

Offline striker

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 10:57:23 AM »
I want to hear:

"Grace"
"When I Look At The World"
"Being Born"
"Some Days Are Better Than Others"
"Sweetest Thing"
"Window In The Skies"
and loads of new songs.

I don't care if it's too hard. I don't care if you need 2 or 3 extra musicians. Make it happen!
This.

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
  • be the insult u want to make
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 06:32:21 PM »
WOWY no later than 5th in the set, preceded by 2 to 4 new songs.    8)