Author Topic: 30 Years of 'War'  (Read 993 times)

Offline singnomore

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
30 Years of 'War'
« on: February 17, 2013, 06:29:06 AM »
So seeing some of the poll results and with War's 30th Anniversary almost upon us I thought it would be interesting for people to share their thoughts/opinions or memories about War. Do you like it? If you don't why not? What does this album mean to you on the U2 journey? Anything that you care to share!

So lets see what people think

Offline Zoost

• Up With the Sun
Re: 30 Years of 'War'
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 10:20:19 AM »
What does it mean to me? Well, everything really.

I was 13 (very nearly 14) when a kid I went to school with showed up in class one day with an LP under his arm. It had this mesmerizing black and white image on the cover of an angry, frightened and confused young boy, bordered by startling red letters reading War! Who or what was this U2? I just had to find out. I did, it's still my second favorite album, and the reason I got into U2.

Still Stunning 30 years on.

Good thread Sing.

Offline Droo

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • when the soul wants, the soul waits
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 10:26:40 AM »
I used to like it a lot more than I do now. I still love Drowning Man and New Year's Day, and like Seconds and Red Light, but the rest of the songs don't do much for me anymore. I am glad it exists though to pull U2 back from the abyss after October (an album I like way more than War, but that nearly ended them commercially) so they could go on to bigger and better things.

Offline THRILLHO

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 10:30:22 AM »
I love war but don't listen to it nearly as much as I used to. The obvious highlights being 40 sbs nyd surrender 2hbao. My appreciation for drowning man has increased and red light refugee decreased

Offline The Exile

• Elevated
  • Exile, it's a small price to pay for bliss....
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 10:47:27 AM »
First U2 album I bought (in '83 at age ten) after hearing New Year's Day on KROQ. Never looked back.

Offline Zoost

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 11:21:44 AM »
My dad made me a deal. Save up my pocket money to meet half the price and he would treat me and pay the other half. I still have that original copy too.

Offline _acrobat

• Desert Rose
  • Am I really all the things that are outside of me?
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 11:22:16 AM »
War has the song that originally got me into U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday - and for that I'm thankful. However, besides a couple songs (SBS, NYD, Two Hearts, 40) the rest is take it or leave it.

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
  • be the insult u want to make
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 12:50:54 PM »
Liked it a lot at the time, but it's aged horribly. Far and away my least fave U2 album now. Haven't listened to it since sometime in the late '90s, and I'll be happy if I never have to endure the whole thing at one sitting ever again.

Offline Zoost

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 01:08:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Liked it a lot at the time, but it's aged horribly. Far and away my least fave U2 album now. Haven't listened to it since sometime in the late '90s, and I'll be happy if I never have to endure the whole thing at one sitting ever again.

A Little harsh don't you think?

Offline THRILLHO

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 01:27:10 PM »

lol. he's trolling.

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
  • be the insult u want to make
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 01:34:19 PM »
^ not everyone sees things the way you do. now, who wants cookies?

trust me, I'm being kind.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
  • There is no Them, only Us
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 02:08:24 PM »
War made an enormous impression on me at a very vulnerable time in my life. Having troubles at home and in school and trying to find where I fit in, on that cusp between being a child and an adult, the themes of War resonated with me and seemed to coinside with exactly what I was experiencing in life at the time. Funny how U2 has that knack. . . .

War saved U2 for me. I loved Boy, hated October. Was about to give up on what I thought was my favorite band. Luckily a well timed birthday coincided with War's release and the former bf who turned me on to U2 in the first place gave me War as a birthday present.  "Just give it a try." he knowingly said. And I did. It took several listens but when it clicked, it clicked and solidified U2 as my favorite band (I know, right now Larry is probably breathing a sigh of relief! ;) ). Whenever I feel I am tired of U2 or even after I have taken a U2 hiatus, War is always the album that brings me back. I have tired of SBS on tour, however, once that drum kicks in when the CD goes into my car stereo, I am right back there. I still believe that NYD is one of U2's best tracks-- not because it is an awesome song- but because it is one of the first tracks where everyone is firing on all cylinders. Bono wrote awesome lyrics and his vocal is passionate and strong, Edge has a fabulous rif, the drumming never quits and there is something about that bass track that gets me no matter how many times I hear it. I have said this before but being such a huge nerd in school, I was a huge National Geographic buff and convinced The Refugee was written for this woman. . .

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I was a little sad when I learned it wasn't, but it is still one of my favorite tracks. Who knew U2 actually knew how to have fun?  Also is there really a stranger pair up in music than U2 and the girls from Kid Creole and the Coconuts? Seriously?

Probably my least favorite track is Two Hearts. . . I just don't feel it matches the rest of the album.  In college Like a Song became my personal anthem. I think War was just the right album at the right time in my life.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • ^ my face every time the album is delayed
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 02:20:27 PM »
Easily the best of the trio of early albums when the band were still in post-punk phase. Also one of the albums that I've grown to like more and more over the years. At this point, I enjoy just about every song with maybe the exception of the sonically out of place Refugee.

War always seemed sort of like a dancey post punk album in how most of Larry's drumming is. Two Hearts, Red Light, Surrender, and NYD all have that quality on them. The rest of the album is more straightforward rock, and I call it some of the most straight rock the band has and probably will ever do.

Sits in my top 5 now as of today.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Yes, I'm a raving feminist. What of it?
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 08:24:39 AM »
I love War. I totally agree with Beli; just when I think I'm tired of SBS, I hear it afresh on the actual album.

I love Drowning Man... always have... And I'm one of the few people who apparently love Red Light.

Achtung Baby is what made me a U2 fan... But after I bought that album, I started buying the back catalog and War was one of my first (after Joshua Tree). I was so excited because I'd heard NYD once when I was younger on New Year's day... and now I knew the band who did it!!!

I like War from start to end and I think it is in my top 5.

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
  • Touch me...take me to that other place..
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 08:16:29 PM »
I love this album. 

I am part of the " MTV" generation. I would watch videos of songs and if I liked them I would then purchase the album or cassette.. I will never forget seeing 4 lads riding horses in the snow...white flags, snow, bass, piano and drums. Then Bono sang... " All is quiet on New Years Day"..It still makes me dance. And yes,  I begged my parents for the money to purchase the album!! Wonder whatever happened to that cassette?! lol

SBS, Seconds, 2 Hearts, Surrender...love!

Drowning Man is my favourite song by U2. I can't explain why it was back then but as an adult it helped me deal with loss. "Take my hand..you know I'll be there..." Just a very personal song for me while dealing with heartache..

"40" will always remind me of my first U2 show (TUF)...We (the masses) sang that song loud and proud and continued singing long after U2 left the stage!! For one moment we were all one... Gives me shivers thinking about it still!!

Love....