Author Topic: 30 Years of 'War'  (Read 1032 times)

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
Re: 30 Years of 'War'
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 10:58:33 PM »
Thanks everyone for sharing your War memorie :)  War was such an influential album to so many of us during those formative, adolescent years. Maybe it's so special to us who were teens because this was an adolescent album for U2.

To me, Boy, October and War are the "purity" trifecta. The music, songwriting and production is just so raw and well, pure. Some may say "unpolished" but there is beauty in unrefined things.

War was my 3rd U2 album - I bought it in the fall of 9th grade. And by the fall of 11th grade, the cassette was worn out. Remember when that was a sign of how passionate you were as a fan? (And for the record, I still have the cassette. I also have it as a gold plated CD).

War will always be a winter album to me. I remember making my friends listen to it in my parents' living room with heavy snow falling outside on a gray December afternoon; holing up in my bedroom on those long winter nights listening to it over and over while my mom yelled at me about the bass; making my dad and brother listen to it on our many ski trips; a classmate telling our social studies teacher on a class ski trip that there was a song called "Sunday Bloody Sunday" on War (we studied the Russian Revolution in 9th grade, which also had a "Bloody Sunday". I'm sure that social studies teacher is still being regaled by students with the fact that U2 sings that song  ::) And to this day, I REALLY hope that guy realizes that the SBS U2 sings about is not the Russian SBS). 

The album varies between punk, rock n' roll and poetry:
  • Primal and punky - SBS, Seconds, The Refugee, THBAO
  • Rock and roll - NYD, Red Light
  • Melancholic and yearning - Drowning Man and Surrender
  • Pure lyrical and musical perfection- 40

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Yes, I'm a raving feminist. What of it?
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 06:55:37 AM »
Very nice, Garden Tart! Thanks for sharing! And juls!!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Desert Rose
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 03:29:53 PM »
It's rightly regarded as a classic--maybe THE classic from their catalog.  It could never mean to me what it must have meant to fans who were there at the time--for me, it was always sort of their first "statement" album, where they clearly defined themselves to their audience.  Joshua Tree was probably the next one of those, and the first one I felt attuned to, even if I was late to that particular party.  I don't play it terribly often.  The production is actually not very good, with Edge's guitar sounding more clipped and abrasive than the more robust-sounding Boy, but that's part of its charm.  It does take some work to get past the over-exposure of NYD and SBS, but it really does hold up as a complete work.  Good--maybe even great--album.

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
  • Touch me...take me to that other place..
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 03:32:43 PM »
Thank you so much for the lovely article, Sing!! Great memories.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 03:59:48 PM »
Very nice, Garden Tart! Thanks for sharing! And juls!!

Thanks MG!

Offline Hawkmoon2e

• Global Moderator
  • Numb
  • Every man dies, not every man really lives. -WW
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 10:10:51 AM »
It's my favorite album title, and my favorite album cover.
And after years and years of hearing hundreds of live versions of SBS and NYD, it's still refreshing to go back and listen to those originals for the freshest perspective.

But I have to give a shout-out to Like A Song...
To me, this song captures the early angst of Bono better than most. And I love his lyrics here:

Angry words won't stop the fight
 Two wrongs won't make it right
 A new heart is what I need
 Oh God, make it bleed
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:12:44 AM by Hawkmoon2e »

Offline miryclay

• Child of Grace
  • It's 2014
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 05:12:32 PM »
I thought when glancing upon the OTR writing that it was written about the Thirty Years' War