Author Topic: Adam's release date  (Read 6042 times)

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Running to Stand Still
  • There is no them, there's only us
Adam's release date
« on: February 20, 2013, 02:13:16 AM »
Shoot me, I know, I'm commenting on the release date of the album again. But is it really that pessimistic to say that U2 are no closer to releasing an album than they were two years ago? Adam's comments about the end of the year lead me to continue to doubt their progress. When I say doubt, I mean that they doubt themselves, they doubt their own material. U2 are being too perfectionist and in the process are likely killing off their creativity.

They should just release what they have now. But I don't think we will see anything until April 2014 at this rate.

zootv

Re: Adam's release date
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 05:31:43 AM »
Here we go again

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 07:44:46 AM »
To repeat again (And I suspect we'll be having this discussion many times to come);

1) The general framework time-wise we have been told is September - December this year. That's pretty consistent with a release some time in December - March 2013 - 2014.

2) I still think the "Perfectionist U2 spend too long on their songs' meme has managed to gain a lot of currency with stunningly little evidence to back it up.

Offline The Exile

• Elevated
  • WWW.DRUNK EXPASTORS.COM
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 11:41:04 AM »
Anyone remember that episode of 30 Rock where Liz is stuck on the runway in the plane that her boyfriend, played by Matt Damon, is piloting? They're having technical difficulties, and Damon says over the mic that takeoff will happen in about 30 minutes. When Liz points out that he said the same thing 30 minutes ago, he explains that this is just what pilots say, regardless of how long it will really take, because 30 minutes is a reasonable enough time to not upset people too much and keep them sufficiently hopeful.

Not sure why I shared that, it just popped into my head for some reason....

Offline Jono

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 11:52:28 AM »
First single will be released on my bday (10/1) and album/cd out for the holidays! I thought of it, I then wrote it and now it's on the web, so it must be true!!

Exile, sorry your favorite show is ending :(

Offline Quenchable Thirst

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • It's a private show, no one else's gonna know
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:53:59 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Anyone remember that episode of 30 Rock where Liz is stuck on the runway in the plane that her boyfriend, played by Matt Damon, is piloting? They're having technical difficulties, and Damon says over the mic that takeoff will happen in about 30 minutes. When Liz points out that he said the same thing 30 minutes ago, he explains that this is just what pilots say, regardless of how long it will really take, because 30 minutes is a reasonable enough time to not upset people too much and keep them sufficiently hopeful.

You'll have to go through this old b****** first!

That's actually a good analogy for Adam's comment. Although, it could be that different band members are giving slightly different release dates (yet nothing concrete) because they have different points of view on the album. Larry said "by the end of summer", Edge said "by the end of summer" as well, Bono said they had 6 out of 10 songs done (at least that's how most people interpreted his statements), McGuiness said to "certainly expect a new album on 2013", and now Adam is saying they're only halfway done. I believe Edge and Larry feel confident about their new songs, but perhaps Adam and Bono are reluctant.

Either way, we can now be practically sure there will be a new album this year, or very early next year at the latest. I'm thinking it will see the light of day on 2013, but just because I'm trying to stay positive ;D

Offline U2runnr

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Vision over visibility
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 01:45:38 PM »
To repeat again (And I suspect we'll be having this discussion many times to come);

1) The general framework time-wise we have been told is September - December this year. That's pretty consistent with a release some time in December - March 2013 - 2014.

2) I still think the "Perfectionist U2 spend too long on their songs' meme has managed to gain a lot of currency with stunningly little evidence to back it up.
I agree with this. It may not come out this year, but you can't possibly count out everything the band has said. A release this year looks very possible to me.  :)

Offline The Stingray Guitar

• Refugee
  • You're in my mind all of the time,
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 02:38:15 PM »
This time around I would guess that U2 are aware of how they tend to over think their albums, that will be why they've surrounded themselves with people like Danger Mouse and Jimmy Iovine who will let them know when it's time to release, especially Jimmy who is basically the guy who is pushing U2 for that hit single in a way they probably haven't been pushed since they released Beautiful Day. There's also guys at the record label looking after U2 and making sure there next album will be a success, after all U2 are their biggest asset so they'll want them to deliver.

Offline Jono

• Numb
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 03:27:06 PM »
This time around I would guess that U2 are aware of how they tend to over think their albums, that will be why they've surrounded themselves with people like Danger Mouse and Jimmy Iovine who will let them know when it's time to release, especially Jimmy who is basically the guy who is pushing U2 for that hit single in a way they probably haven't been pushed since they released Beautiful Day. There's also guys at the record label looking after U2 and making sure there next album will be a success, after all U2 are their biggest asset so they'll want them to deliver.
as they say...this!

Offline The Exile

• Elevated
  • WWW.DRUNK EXPASTORS.COM
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 03:43:01 PM »

Even though we've been only mere months away from a new album since spring of '09, I will say that if U2 cares about popularity and sales as much as we think they do, they'd be smart to release this thing in time for Christmas. They planned to do that for NLOTH, but it was delayed and the sales disappointed (and whether the delay occasioned the poor sales is beside the point, I just hope the band thinks it did!).

Offline AchtungPop

• Running to Stand Still
  • Walk On
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 04:11:03 PM »
In other news...he cut his hair  8)

I think it will be out Sept-Dec. Either the album will be out by Holiday or maybe a single. But I feel like they'll want it out in time for the holiday season rather than release in January or February.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Running to Stand Still
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 06:27:42 PM »

1) A Sep-Dec framework is not consistent with up to March.
2) Here's some evidence:
- April 24, 2012: Danger Mouse *finishes* producing the new album.
- But in June 2012 Bono is saying, "Looking for the perfect pop song", "gotta do something very special to have a reason to exist right now", "there won't be a U2 album unless there's something really special".
That certainly sounds like perfectionism to me, two months after the album was allegedly finished no less.

I love your sense of humour. You nailed it on the head.

While I wish that were true, U2 have always had more say than the record company which is why their career became so successful. But they had a bigger drive to release when they were younger than they do now. If they release now it will be cream on the cake. They don't need another cake.

In other news...he cut his hair  8)

I think it will be out Sept-Dec. Either the album will be out by Holiday or maybe a single. But I feel like they'll want it out in time for the holiday season rather than release in January or February.

Yes, they need to get it out this year to be guaranteed of success. The only real indicator we have of a release date is the time since the last album. The pattern has been roughly every 3.5 to 4 years since Zooropa. The longest was 4 years 3 months between Atomic Bomb and No Line. U2 have never allowed a blow out to 5 years, so they desperately need to release this year.

Any lack of confidence from any member of the band at this point is either a bad sign or evidence of perfectionism.

Think I'll go back and listen to the alternate version of Breathe, so I don't hold my breath while waiting for the new album.

Offline AchtungPop

• Running to Stand Still
  • Walk On
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 06:58:34 PM »
And technically its the longest stretch with no new music of any kind. HTDAAB between NLOTH had the release of "Saints are Coming" and "Window in the Skies" in 2006. HMTMKMKM & Passengers in 1995 between Zooropa and Pop.

Offline johno11

• Refugee
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 07:56:18 PM »
As I have said all along I think new album will be out in June 2014 ;-)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 07:59:12 PM »
1) A Sep-Dec framework is not consistent with up to March.

I'm factoring in U2time. Last time we were told to expect an album in Autumn, we got it in March. This time, they appear (Loaded word!) to have more songs done, so... we'll see.

2) Here's some evidence:
- April 24, 2012: Danger Mouse *finishes* producing the new album.
- But in June 2012 Bono is saying, "Looking for the perfect pop song", "gotta do something very special to have a reason to exist right now", "there won't be a U2 album unless there's something really special".
That certainly sounds like perfectionism to me, two months after the album was allegedly finished no less.

We don't know nearly enough about the real details of this, and we'd need to be able to compare the early versions of the songs to the final versions to know for sure.