Author Topic: Adam's release date  (Read 6249 times)

Offline goldtoad

• Refugee
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
Re: Adam's release date
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2013, 09:58:46 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Recent? That was from 1997 :-)

I meant recently posted to the forums here, but sometimes it does seem
like we've been talking about this album's release since 1997.   :) 

Offline xy

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2013, 11:20:54 AM »
I appreciate that each of the band members actually want to release an album, but it is clear that they are not happy with what they have. At a guess they have scrapped 3 albums worth of material over the last couple years. That's 30-40 songs of which they are happy with about 5. So their own estimates of releasing something keep blowing out.

Not happy ? Bono and Larry confirmed U2 liked the sessions with Danger Mouse - and certainly he's been producing with them ever since that 2010 announcement.

But the Spiderman songs got in the way.

Offline goldtoad

• Refugee
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2013, 03:32:11 PM »

Bono talks about the band wanting to be relevant.  If that is the case,  a single needs to be released in time
for them to play it at the 2014 Grammys. So, the album would have to be released by February 2014 at the latest.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Running to Stand Still
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2013, 09:38:26 PM »
I appreciate that each of the band members actually want to release an album, but it is clear that they are not happy with what they have. At a guess they have scrapped 3 albums worth of material over the last couple years. That's 30-40 songs of which they are happy with about 5. So their own estimates of releasing something keep blowing out.

Not happy ? Bono and Larry confirmed U2 liked the sessions with Danger Mouse - and certainly he's been producing with them ever since that 2010 announcement.

Not happy? If they were happy, would they have not released it then? Either they are being perfectionists, or they are too distracted by everything else in life, that they are no longer a band. This is the longest drought without a U2 release of any kind, in their history. So it is only natural to begin to ask questions. But no matter what they said at the time, the evidence is now that they were not happy, certainly from what Bono had to say in June of 2012.

Offline Smithy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2013, 08:31:58 AM »
well we know for sure that they are happy with 6 songs which are in the bag, need to take into account how often various members of the band travel around and world and especially bono in which a time schedule for sessions in the studio would have to fit around. but i think all they are concerned about at this point is getting it right, and thats it. some of the wait for this album might basically be an organisation in preperation for what they would like to achieve with its release, what there tour will be like and what will it entail and what songs will they use in the setlist along with there new material. also the discussion of releasing a digitalised version of the album is almost imminent which means extra thought involved in the process of its creation as it is very new to them dispite talk of it happening for some time. The only thing i am concerned about is the band second guessing themselves, a great example would be that days before the announcement of their last tour they changed it from 'kiss the future' to '360' tour. so i think that is my main concern but i have faith that they are all willing to take the creative leap in which they know they will have to take in order to still exist at all as a band, and a seemingly still relevant one at that.

cheers.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Running to Stand Still
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2013, 08:59:47 AM »
its actually getting a bit annoying about people constantly repeating that u2 have basically scrapped 30-40 songs worth of material and are doubting themselves too the extreme. lets take a look back at the facts and who they have worked with over the past 4 years since NLOTH.
David Guetta - Communication took place but nothing ended up happening, at all.
Red One - Ideas were exchanged, melodies and the like but nothing to the extent of a record.
Will.i.am - Produced a few songs, that were played to the likes of George Clooney etc but didnt end up working continually and communications broke down.
But on the other hand,
Danger Mouse - after the long search for producers who u2 want to take their sound into a different direction he has been the only person who has been
in contact and producing for u2's next record since 2010. It is clearly evident that u2 experimented with a few producers but Danger Mouse was there end choice and have been working with him for what i would say would be close to 2 years now.
So for people who insist on saying that U2 are in a state of denail and uncertanty are absoloutly wrong.
They have acomplished everything that anyone who could possibly dream of as a band and have made it clear to all of us that they are in no hurry to release a new album too soon as they would like it to be the best that it could be, which would be the sole and only reasoning if they choose to release the album early 2014.

cheers. 
No one is doubting that they have accomplished what most bands cannot even dream of, but all this self doubt that everyone is talking about in this forum and that I agree with is justified and brought upon by themselves going back to 2011 when Bono was continuously saying that they have all this material to have 3 albums worth and possibly releasing one during the 360 tour, but as to this date we have yet to get 1 album, let alone 1 new song, so I do agree they are doubting themselves again and thinking about it too much like they did with NLOTH.  It is even stated in the book From The Ground Up that they had these 3 album ready to go. (The DangerMouse sessions, the club rock album which had 8 songs with lyrics and SOA).  Whether it is scrapped or not is yet to be seen. 
Exactly!

And as I said earlier, in April 2012 they "finished" the project with Danger Mouse, only for Bono to say two months later that they needed a really special reason to even exist. It really sounds like they scrapped everything prior to June 2012 and started again. Some like myself see this as a problem. Others want to stone me for even suggesting it.

Offline striker

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2013, 11:09:29 AM »
its actually getting a bit annoying about people constantly repeating that u2 have basically scrapped 30-40 songs worth of material and are doubting themselves too the extreme. lets take a look back at the facts and who they have worked with over the past 4 years since NLOTH.
Red One - Ideas were exchanged, melodies and the like but nothing to the extent of a record.
Will.i.am - Produced a few songs, that were played to the likes of George Clooney etc but didnt end up working continually and communications broke down.
But on the other hand,
Danger Mouse - after the long search for producers who u2 want to take their sound into a different direction he has been the only person who has been
in contact and producing for u2's next record since 2010. It is clearly evident that u2 experimented with a few producers but Danger Mouse was there end choice and have been working with him for what i would say would be close to 2 years now.
So for people who insist on saying that U2 are in a state of denail and uncertanty are absoloutly wrong.
They have acomplished everything that anyone who could possibly dream of as a band and have made it clear to all of us that they are in no hurry to release a new album too soon as they would like it to be the best that it could be, which would be the sole and only reasoning if they choose to release the album early 2014.

cheers. 
No one is doubting that they have accomplished what most bands cannot even dream of, but all this self doubt that everyone is talking about in this forum and that I agree with is justified and brought upon by themselves going back to 2011 when Bono was continuously saying that they have all this material to have 3 albums worth and possibly releasing one during the 360 tour, but as to this date we have yet to get 1 album, let alone 1 new song, so I do agree they are doubting themselves again and thinking about it too much like they did with NLOTH.  It is even stated in the book From The Ground Up that they had these 3 album ready to go. (The DangerMouse sessions, the club rock album which had 8 songs with lyrics and SOA).  Whether it is scrapped or not is yet to be seen. 
Exactly!

And as I said earlier, in April 2012 they "finished" the project with Danger Mouse, only for Bono to say two months later that they needed a really special reason to even exist. It really sounds like they scrapped everything prior to June 2012 and started again. Some like myself see this as a problem. Others want to stone me for even suggesting it.
I wouldn't dwell on it. Go outside, get some fresh air! :)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2013, 01:00:59 PM »

Not happy? If they were happy, would they have not released it then? Either they are being perfectionists, or they are too distracted by everything else in life, that they are no longer a band. This is the longest drought without a U2 release of any kind, in their history. So it is only natural to begin to ask questions. But no matter what they said at the time, the evidence is now that they were not happy, certainly from what Bono had to say in June of 2012.

That's a bizarre way to think of it. Yes, it's technically true, but only because there's been no new single - but there have been more new songs appearing between NLOTH and the present day than between HTDAAB and NLOTH. I personally would take incomplete versions of Glastonbury, Every Breaking Wave, North Star, Mercy and Stingray over Window in the Skies when i comes to indications that the band have actually been doing something with their time.

Offline Executioner

• Stateless
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2013, 01:42:12 PM »
Hold your wild horses there pasha.you seem a very negative person .whatever problems you have in your life no need to bring it on here.word on the inner circle is that the album will be out before most expert.  think .infact summer release could be on the cards followed very quickly by another one by years end. No sources or detailed info will be forthcoming.just wait and see.

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »
In my opinion, release the 6 songs on an album with 4 "filler" songs. I'm sure whatever 4 songs they pick would be more than just "filler".  Then bingo, you have an album equal in quality perhaps to the Unforgettable Fire or War!

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2013, 01:55:03 PM »
But on the other hand,

cheers. 

Remember that U2 is also a business and the timing of the next album with the next tour is important to the band. The band has only been off the road now for 19 months. One should expect a minimum of 3 years between the end of one tour and the start of the next. Since the new album is tied to the next tour and would probably be released at a maximum of 6 months before the start of the next tour, the minimum time between the end of the previous tour and the release of the next is about 2 and half years. So one should, at a minimum not expect anything prior to October 2013.

Offline boom boom

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2013, 02:07:17 PM »
But on the other hand,

cheers. 

Remember that U2 is also a business and the timing of the next album with the next tour is important to the band. The band has only been off the road now for 19 months. One should expect a minimum of 3 years between the end of one tour and the start of the next. Since the new album is tied to the next tour and would probably be released at a maximum of 6 months before the start of the next tour, the minimum time between the end of the previous tour and the release of the next is about 2 and half years. So one should, at a minimum not expect anything prior to October 2013.
that's fine, and I agree, but it doesn't help when the band goes around saying we have all this material for 3 albums worth and was ready to release one during the 360 tour but then shut that idea down, people get their hopes up, and one cannot help but think yet again the are doubting what they are doing and have seconds thoughts which fits in with all the relevancy talk at the time from Bono which may had something to do with the delay of these albums if we indeed do see these albums some time in the not to distant future.(or maybe I should say distant future).

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2013, 02:33:51 PM »
But on the other hand,

cheers. 

that's fine, and I agree, but it doesn't help when the band goes around saying we have all this material for 3 albums worth and was ready to release one during the 360 tour but then shut that idea down, people get their hopes up, and one cannot help but think yet again the are doubting what they are doing and have seconds thoughts which fits in with all the relevancy talk at the time from Bono which may had something to do with the delay of these albums if we indeed do see these albums some time in the not to distant future.(or maybe I should say distant future).

There was a time back in late 1989 when Bono said that u2 needed to GO AWAY and dream it all up again! To many people, that sounded like the band might be ending and there all kinds of news articles harping on those ideas.

So wants again, been there done that, I quess. Rumors of the bands imminent demise always crop up in the period between albums and tours. Its been happening since the late 1980s.

Offline Quenchable Thirst

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • It's a private show, no one else's gonna know
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2013, 02:49:20 PM »
In my opinion, release the 6 songs on an album with 4 "filler" songs. I'm sure whatever 4 songs they pick would be more than just "filler".  Then bingo, you have an album equal in quality perhaps to the Unforgettable Fire or War!

I don't want to go off topic here, but I don't think releasing an album with filler songs, la Unforgettable Fire, would be a good idea. They should play most of their new songs in the next tour. If they decide to make another EPAA (just grab another's song melody and play it backwards, and you got a song), or an instrumental track like 4th of July. I don't think that's Danger Mouse's style anyway, that's more on the Eno side for me.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • ^ my face as I'm listening to the new album.
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2013, 04:21:58 PM »

I don't want to go off topic here, but I don't think releasing an album with filler songs, la Unforgettable Fire, would be a good idea. They should play most of their new songs in the next tour. If they decide to make another EPAA (just grab another's song melody and play it backwards, and you got a song), or an instrumental track like 4th of July. I don't think that's Danger Mouse's style anyway, that's more on the Eno side for me.

NO FILLER.

God help us if something like ABOY or Peace on Earth appears again...