Poll

Difficult to visualise without knowing a solid theme but what do you expect the new cover to feature?

Band photo
18 (38.3%)
Fine art photo without band
10 (21.3%)
Illustration / painting
14 (29.8%)
Multiple images
5 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: November 11, 2013, 03:27:05 PM

Author Topic: The new album cover will be what?  (Read 2958 times)

Offline Pocket Merlin

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: The new album cover will be what?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 08:11:11 AM »
Whatever the album cover is, it needs to be rooted in the theme of the album. All of their album covers from The Joshua Tree onward have had this, except for, arguably, Atomic Bomb. I don't really care if it's a photo if it does a good job of expressing whatever theme they are getting at with the next offering.

Offline skelter

• Numb
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 08:17:41 AM »
Bomb has the red/black/white stripes theme going on, very atomic bomb! (and also the colors or rock & roll. heh)

Offline Pocket Merlin

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 08:19:37 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Bomb has the red/black/white stripes theme going on, very atomic bomb! (and also the colors or rock & roll. heh)

Yeah, I think it fits, but I could see some potential disagreement so I said "arguably."

Offline theocean

• Deep In the Heart
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 08:33:27 AM »
The band should make a specific website encouraging artists, graphic designers, and others to help and create an album cover for the band. They could give some information on the thematic ideas of the album, and maybe some lyrics, and people can use that to create any sort of art they would like (as long as there isn't any huge crudeness)

Then a couple of winners could be picked out, with the first winner being the album cover, and the rest being covers of singles from the album.

I love that idea.... :) i like illustration album #3

Offline Fist-O

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I leave behind video cameras for all of you!
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 10:32:02 PM »
The band should make a specific website encouraging artists, graphic designers, and others to help and create an album cover for the band. They could give some information on the thematic ideas of the album, and maybe some lyrics, and people can use that to create any sort of art they would like (as long as there isn't any huge crudeness)

Then a couple of winners could be picked out, with the first winner being the album cover, and the rest being covers of singles from the album.

I love that idea.... :) i like illustration album #3

Didn't they do that with the Achtung Baby anniversary some months ago?

Offline Alton Dalton

• Babyface
  • Off with the horns, on with the show.
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 02:09:46 AM »
Whatever it is, chances are it will be black and white or at best with MINIMAL color (see: everything except October and the 90's). Can't get any worse than Wide Awake in America though...I'm confident in saying that. U2 album covers, in general, have been...underwhelming. By now it's obvious what the band prefers. But hey, it's their product.

By the way it still bothers me that the grown up boy from Boy and War wasn't used on the cover of HTDAAB considering all the linking back that album and tour did. 

Offline boom boom

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 05:22:56 AM »
multiple images

Offline theocean

• Deep In the Heart
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 06:08:17 AM »
i like boom booms idea, multiple stuff....a collage maybe...

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
  • be the song u want to sing
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 09:32:22 AM »
I hope Roger Dean does it:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Pocket Merlin

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 02:39:38 PM »
It'd be cool if they were able to associate this album with some image-based media that made a distinct impression in people's minds. I really like Coldplay's concept with Mylo Xyloto and the graffiti...it was also a good idea of them to have an app where you could make your own version of the album cover with your own initials (rather than the M and X), which led to the likeness of their album cover beings spread around social media a bit.

U2! You could be so much more creative in this realm than you have been!

Offline goldtoad

• Stateless
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2013, 05:08:18 PM »

The best marketing of the new album would be to use colorful artwork instead of a group photo. 
They have not done that since Zooropa and that would be a good way to announce this is something
different from U2...  Assuming we do get a fresh, new sound from U2 on the new album.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline AchtungPop

• Numb
  • Walk On
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2013, 05:41:08 PM »
I like ATYCLB and TJT covers so band photos can be good.

Everyone seems to be ranking everything else, so album covers:  8)
1. Zooropa
2. ATYCLB
3. Achtung Baby
4. Joshua Tree
5. Pop
6. No Line on the Horizon
7. Unforgettable Fire
8. War
9. Rattle & Hum
10. HTDAAB (should've done something with the graffitti of the Vertigo DVD which I love)
11. October
12. Boy (It's like a plain version of War, and the October hair is funny)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 07:44:36 PM by AchtungPop »

Offline Fist-O

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I leave behind video cameras for all of you!
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2013, 12:00:18 AM »
My ten favorite album covers (includes compilations and live dvds)

1. War

2. Best of 1980-1990

3. Zooropa

4. Achtung Baby

5. ZooTv: Live from Sydney

6. Vertigo: Live from Chicago

7. Unforgettable Fire

8. Joshua Tree

9. Elevation: Live from Slane Castle

10. Under a Blood Red Sky

Offline singnomore

• Global Moderator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2013, 03:48:27 AM »
Hoping for option 3

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Running to Stand Still
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2013, 05:25:24 AM »
The Joshua Tree album cover is still the best. It's the perfect mix of an artistic photo of both the band and setting.