Author Topic: U2 Fans Liverpool?  (Read 5356 times)

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
Re: U2 Fans Liverpool?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 06:32:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
P.S. flopro and other possibly Scouse-types: I will definitely be visiting your fine region this July.  We're coming in via Manchester's airport and will try our darnedest not to murder anyone on the roads as we figure out your whole "drive on the left" as we head into Liverpool.  If there's anything I must see in the area (and think broadly as we will have the car) please share your recommendations.  ;D

Visit Goodison Park, the home of the only football club of consequence in Liverpool.

Every fall from age 5 to age 17, I was on at least one soccer team.  From the time I was 13, I was certified as a referee and picked up quite a nice bit of money on weekends with that gig. And yet in all those years of association with the game, I never got into professional soccer.  This is the great irony of the white suburban American, and this is why Major League Soccer is not a huge hit in this country.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 06:42:03 PM »
I live round your way and Zoost was from your neck of the woods before he ended up in Alaska.

I'm not alone!... Wait, what about Zoost?  ???

I lived in Crosby all my life until I was 39. I moved to Alaska in 2009.

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 08:44:31 AM »
P.S. flopro and other possibly Scouse-types: I will definitely be visiting your fine region this July.  We're coming in via Manchester's airport and will try our darnedest not to murder anyone on the roads as we figure out your whole "drive on the left" as we head into Liverpool.  If there's anything I must see in the area (and think broadly as we will have the car) please share your recommendations.  ;D

Visit Goodison Park, the home of the only football club of consequence in Liverpool.

...unless you want to see trophies, then you need to head to Anfield.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 09:16:15 AM »

No, you head to Anfield if you want to see a slippery creature, diving more than a penguin.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 11:14:58 AM »

Only go there if you are Caucasian. Unless you are player, they have no time for other race, color or creed.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 01:53:00 PM »

Only go there if you are Caucasian. Unless you are player, they have no time for other race, color or creed.

I think you're getting Louis Saurez and all of Liverpool confused.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 03:53:10 PM »

Nope. I meant Liverpool Football club as a whole. Their ownership, management and other players all condone what that little s*** does, says or how he behaves.

As for the fans, as the majority of LFC supporters come from everywhere but the city of Liverpool, Norway mostly, I cannot vouch.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 04:32:35 PM »

Nope. I meant Liverpool Football club as a whole. Their ownership, management and other players all condone what that little s*** does, says or how he behaves.

As for the fans, as the majority of LFC supporters come from everywhere but the city of Liverpool, Norway mostly, I cannot vouch.

The MAJORITY come from Norway? Ahem, I'm not even going to argue with that. I don't think Anfield is filled with tourist fans tbh, not in the same way Old Trafford is for example. Sure, they have a more global fanbase than Everton but they've got a passionate local support too.

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 04:36:33 PM »
^ Love the passion, fellas! As a soon-to-be guest in the city, you've taught me my first important lesson: don't bring up the football clubs.  :)

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 05:25:18 PM »
^ Love the passion, fellas! As a soon-to-be guest in the city, you've taught me my first important lesson: don't bring up the football clubs.  :)

Just remember, Everton FC are the People's Club, the people of Liverpool.

Yes we are passionate, very. And it's very hostile. Never used to be, but ever since LFC supporters once denied Everton FC a legitimate shot at being champions of Europe, many years banned from Europen competition, and then when they (LFC) were allowed back into Europe, UEFA started changing the rules of qualification to suit them and allowed them to compete even when they did not earn it. All this has given them an (in their own fans and clubs view) attitude that they have a god-like status and everyone should bow down to them because of there past achievements.

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2013, 06:07:13 PM »
Good to have a little history.  And here I was thinking I was clever for even knowing that there's more than one team in town!  There are many important things left off the official tourism bureau's website.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2013, 07:08:03 PM »

No, no, no, DO bring up football; Liverpudlians will like a Yank even more if they think you're into football.  The wife of Liverpool FC's American owner got a huge welcome at a match when she showed she knew the words to a chant. 

But as Zoost points out, just be aware that Everton FC are the people's club on Merseyside.  JUST BE AWARE.

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2013, 07:32:23 PM »

No, no, no, DO bring up football; Liverpudlians will like a Yank even more if they think you're into football.  The wife of Liverpool FC's American owner got a huge welcome at a match when she showed she knew the words to a chant. 

But as Zoost points out, just be aware that Everton FC are the people's club on Merseyside.  JUST BE AWARE.

Thanks for the tip and the ominous caps. I'm of the American variety that tells ourselves we don't get overly ruffled or rabidly excited about anything (as it's quite important to distinguish ourselves from the NASCAR-watching, firearm-toting, apocalypse-prepping hordes we imagine occupy all the land between the coasts) so I've very little experience with extreme fanaticism.

...and yet here I am in a U2 forum...

(but for fear of offending, I think I'll just listen if anyone brings up your football clubs). 

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2013, 07:33:15 PM »

The MAJORITY come from Norway? Ahem, I'm not even going to argue with that. I don't think Anfield is filled with tourist fans tbh, not in the same way Old Trafford is for example.

The only real difference between Old Trafford and Anfield is that at Old Trafford the fans eat prawn sandwiches, where as at Anfield they eat humble pie.

Offline Aprilshack

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2015, 04:04:31 AM »
Howdie - Im in Southport just down the road, hows that for you?

Peace
Gav

Ooh, another u2 fan in Southport! :)