Author Topic: Songs that sound like U2  (Read 27810 times)

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • WE'RE SO SICK OF IT.
Re: Songs that sound like U2
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2013, 04:48:04 PM »
Not Even Jail by Interpol (songs keep coming to me. The list is long, I think.)

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • WE'RE SO SICK OF IT.
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2013, 05:06:55 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm almost positive I've seen this thread before but I couldn't find it, so here goes:

1. If You Can See Me - David Bowie (opening wails are so Bono)
2. I'd Rather Be High - David Bowie (guitar is so Edge)
3. Superhero (Entourage theme song) - Jane's Addiction (opening "yeah yeah"s)
4. Save Me (Smallville theme song) - Remy Zero

Thanks for the Bowie suggestions. Love this - def. hear U2ness.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • welp, looks like I'm not making it to 10k posts
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2013, 08:05:03 PM »
I'm almost positive I've seen this thread before but I couldn't find it, so here goes:

1. If You Can See Me - David Bowie (opening wails are so Bono)
2. I'd Rather Be High - David Bowie (guitar is so Edge)
3. Superhero (Entourage theme song) - Jane's Addiction (opening "yeah yeah"s)
4. Save Me (Smallville theme song) - Remy Zero

Thanks for the Bowie suggestions. Love this - def. hear U2ness.

you guys know that one of the biggest criticisms of Bono in the early days was that he was just an out-of-breath Bowie imitator, right?

Offline smalin186

• Refugee
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2013, 10:37:43 PM »
Hearing them again in The Next Day's "You Feel So Lonely You Could Die." U2-ness all over this album!

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • WE'RE SO SICK OF IT.
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2013, 06:24:35 AM »

you guys know that one of the biggest criticisms of Bono in the early days was that he was just an out-of-breath Bowie imitator, right?

That would probably put him in a big group in the early days since David Bowie influenced so many. I love how much Bono's voice has improved over 30 years. I love Bowie but never heard him sound like Bono as he does at the beginning of "If You Can See Me."

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • WE'RE SO SICK OF IT.
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2013, 06:36:34 AM »
"Open Your Eyes" by Snow Patrol, "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon, and "I Gotta Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas, all have chord progressions and pacing that are similar to "Streets".

There is an interesting parallel between Streets and many dance/electronica songs like "I Gotta Feeling". Verse stays on one chord for a long time and changes up in chorus over that kind of rhythm.

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • WE'RE SO SICK OF IT.
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2013, 06:45:52 AM »
Editors are more audibly inspired by Joy Division (as are U2) and New Order I think.

They could be great if only they wrote more diverse music.

Agreed. Interpol much like Joy Division, too.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2013, 08:17:16 AM »
Yeah, I'm sorry, I think framing any David Bowie song as "sounding like U2" is really kind of missing the boat.  Even Bowie's current guitarist, Gerry Leonard, who often employs a slew of effects, has established his own distinct voice with the instrument.  (Listen to his part on Bowie's "Sunday", on the Heathen album as a perfect encapsulation of what he can do.)  Saying a guitar part "sounds like the Edge" seems to be double-speak for "this guitar line is so simple, even the Edge could play it."

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • WE'RE SO SICK OF IT.
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2013, 09:32:38 AM »
Every guitarist has influences though. Example Edge being clearly influenced by the Clash on Sunday Bloody Sunday while still having his own sound. I think with Edge its more of tone and delay that is influential and it is heard in a Bowie song called I'd Rather Be High. It isn't an insult to Bowie or his guitarist. Just hear a similarity in the sound. I don't think anyone is missing the boat as much as seeing another boat and saying that two boats are similar.

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2013, 10:59:19 AM »
Rain in the summertime by the alarm
Butterfly on a wheel by the mission
Both these bands funny enough had supported U2 on tour and then proceeded to
Release songs that were not there natural sound and more U2

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2013, 11:49:23 AM »
Every guitarist has influences though. Example Edge being clearly influenced by the Clash on Sunday Bloody Sunday while still having his own sound. I think with Edge its more of tone and delay that is influential and it is heard in a Bowie song called I'd Rather Be High. It isn't an insult to Bowie or his guitarist. Just hear a similarity in the sound. I don't think anyone is missing the boat as much as seeing another boat and saying that two boats are similar.

Fair enough.  I certainly can't stop anyone from hearing elements as "similar to U2" in any song.  I just think saying so of Bowie's work is like saying "U2 reminds me of Coldplay", or any other younger, indebted act.  It's not a completely equivelant comparison, as Bowie's work is newer than anything from U2 at this point, but as a pretty die-hard Bowie fan, I think it's a disservice to one's self and the artists in question to view everything through a singular, "what can I find that reminds me of U2" kind of lens.  There just seems to be so much more going on with the songs mentioned--lyrically, harmonically, vocally--to simply stamp them "Sounds Like U2".

Offline smalin186

• Refugee
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »
In the words of the Joker..."Why so serious?" I was just asking what songs remind you of U2 on the surface...

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2013, 10:09:50 PM »
In the words of the Joker..."Why so serious?" I was just asking what songs remind you of U2 on the surface...

I'm just saying that none of the Bowie songs sound like U2 "on the surface"--you have to pull it apart to find a guitar part that "sounds like the Edge".  At that rate, we could find a tambourine part in some song that reminds us of something from ATYCLB.

As for another song that sounds like U2: Bob Dylan's "Series of Dreams".  Considering it was produced by Daniel Lanois, it might not be terribly surprising.  Other than Bob's distinctive vocal, it sounds like it could have come from the Joshua Tree.

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • WE'RE SO SICK OF IT.
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2013, 08:04:07 AM »

Fair enough.  I certainly can't stop anyone from hearing elements as "similar to U2" in any song.  I just think saying so of Bowie's work is like saying "U2 reminds me of Coldplay", or any other younger, indebted act.  It's not a completely equivelant comparison, as Bowie's work is newer than anything from U2 at this point, but as a pretty die-hard Bowie fan, I think it's a disservice to one's self and the artists in question to view everything through a singular, "what can I find that reminds me of U2" kind of lens.  There just seems to be so much more going on with the songs mentioned--lyrically, harmonically, vocally--to simply stamp them "Sounds Like U2".

I love David Bowie and am still discovering his material. I think U2 members themselves would say they wouldn't be completely what they are without Bowie. He's like the European Elvis, right? I think the question was just meant to explore how other artists might have a similar sound. And the Bowie suggestions actually made me listen to his new album (which I really like so far). The similarities between Bowie and U2 in the two songs mentioned are only parts of the song. The rest of the songs are completely his own thing. I also don't think it does any disservice to Bowie or U2. There are U2 songs where a certain part reminds me of another band younger (Example: Some of the guitar in "All Because of You" reminds me a bit of Oasis. Some may roll their eyes at that but it does. Yet Edge does it in his own distinctive style). Bowie and U2 have their own unique sounds but it doesn't mean they can't look to be fresh from artists younger than them. It's actually one of the things I have always loved about U2. They are very open with their influences and will be complimentary of other artists. And with rare exception, they don't ascribe to that theory about putting other bands down through the media like - again - Oasis or others.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2013, 09:58:59 AM »

I love David Bowie and am still discovering his material. I think U2 members themselves would say they wouldn't be completely what they are without Bowie. He's like the European Elvis, right? I think the question was just meant to explore how other artists might have a similar sound. And the Bowie suggestions actually made me listen to his new album (which I really like so far). The similarities between Bowie and U2 in the two songs mentioned are only parts of the song. The rest of the songs are completely his own thing. I also don't think it does any disservice to Bowie or U2. There are U2 songs where a certain part reminds me of another band younger (Example: Some of the guitar in "All Because of You" reminds me a bit of Oasis. Some may roll their eyes at that but it does. Yet Edge does it in his own distinctive style). Bowie and U2 have their own unique sounds but it doesn't mean they can't look to be fresh from artists younger than them. It's actually one of the things I have always loved about U2. They are very open with their influences and will be complimentary of other artists. And with rare exception, they don't ascribe to that theory about putting other bands down through the media like - again - Oasis or others.

I definitely encourage exploring Bowie.  "European Elvis" is probably over-simplifying his importance, since Elvis was more a matinee idol than a true "artist", whereas Bowie is maybe more an "artist" than simply a singer or rock star.  You will hear many callbacks on The Next Day to his (truly amazing) 70's run of albums, between Ziggy Stardust and Scary Monsters, once you explore them.