Author Topic: Songs that sound like U2  (Read 24861 times)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: Songs that sound like U2
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2013, 02:51:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"Open Your Eyes" by Snow Patrol, "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon, and "I Gotta Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas, all have chord progressions and pacing that are similar to "Streets".

There is an interesting parallel between Streets and many dance/electronica songs like "I Gotta Feeling". Verse stays on one chord for a long time and changes up in chorus over that kind of rhythm.

Bono himself was quoted, I believe in U2 At the End Of the World, as saying that Streets was sort of a predictor of techno.  However, there's a fine line between acknowledging some similarity and knowing that Bono is also completely full of BS.  Even the author seemed a tad bemused by Bono's assessment.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2013, 03:09:01 PM »
"Open Your Eyes" by Snow Patrol, "Use Somebody" by Kings of Leon, and "I Gotta Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas, all have chord progressions and pacing that are similar to "Streets".

There is an interesting parallel between Streets and many dance/electronica songs like "I Gotta Feeling". Verse stays on one chord for a long time and changes up in chorus over that kind of rhythm.

Bono himself was quoted, I believe in U2 At the End Of the World, as saying that Streets was sort of a predictor of techno.  However, there's a fine line between acknowledging some similarity and knowing that Bono is also completely full of BS.  Even the author seemed a tad bemused by Bono's assessment.

I think that the Pet Shop Boys can take credit for turning Streets into a techno song.  Then Bono probably thought: "That's a neat idea, why didn't we think of that?" and then takes partial credit for it.

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • WE'RE SO SICK OF IT.
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2013, 07:38:40 AM »

I love David Bowie and am still discovering his material. I think U2 members themselves would say they wouldn't be completely what they are without Bowie. He's like the European Elvis, right? I think the question was just meant to explore how other artists might have a similar sound. And the Bowie suggestions actually made me listen to his new album (which I really like so far). The similarities between Bowie and U2 in the two songs mentioned are only parts of the song. The rest of the songs are completely his own thing. I also don't think it does any disservice to Bowie or U2. There are U2 songs where a certain part reminds me of another band younger (Example: Some of the guitar in "All Because of You" reminds me a bit of Oasis. Some may roll their eyes at that but it does. Yet Edge does it in his own distinctive style). Bowie and U2 have their own unique sounds but it doesn't mean they can't look to be fresh from artists younger than them. It's actually one of the things I have always loved about U2. They are very open with their influences and will be complimentary of other artists. And with rare exception, they don't ascribe to that theory about putting other bands down through the media like - again - Oasis or others.

I definitely encourage exploring Bowie.  "European Elvis" is probably over-simplifying his importance, since Elvis was more a matinee idol than a true "artist", whereas Bowie is maybe more an "artist" than simply a singer or rock star.  You will hear many callbacks on The Next Day to his (truly amazing) 70's run of albums, between Ziggy Stardust and Scary Monsters, once you explore them.
I think being a singer or rock star can be a form of art and Elvis has had an influence on the performance art without a doubt. I like Low okay and Ziggy Stardust. Station to Station was on repeat for awhile.

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • WE'RE SO SICK OF IT.
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2013, 06:33:47 PM »

I think that the Pet Shop Boys can take credit for turning Streets into a techno song.  Then Bono probably thought: "That's a neat idea, why didn't we think of that?" and then takes partial credit for it.

[/quot

Now that you mention I believe Adam had said something about streets and dance music. I can really hear it in the pop mart version.

Offline imaginary friend

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • take the long way home
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2013, 08:26:44 PM »

ever hear Streets before all the synths got taken out?   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2013, 08:33:35 PM »
The intro to "Midnight Show" by the Killers is a lot like I Will Follow.

Offline bonoxylove

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2013, 04:13:23 AM »
Gavin Friday - Able

How about this one?

Offline J_Rock321

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Hiiipower
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2013, 12:06:40 PM »

actually edge or adam said the same thing in a documentry for the the joshua tree

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2013, 05:07:11 PM »

actually edge or adam said the same thing in a documentry for the the joshua tree
Yeah, Adam said that.

Offline EoinGilligan

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2016, 04:38:23 PM »
I think Rain by The Cult sounds ridiculously like a u2 song and I love it.  What a classic. Please reply if you agree

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2016, 10:39:22 AM »
I think Rain by The Cult sounds ridiculously like a u2 song and I love it.  What a classic. Please reply if you agree
I agree.

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2016, 11:57:22 AM »

Yeah! Really a perfect song.

Offline benpoke

• Stateless
« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2016, 03:14:37 AM »
I get a lot of stick from my mates for saying this, but I'm 100% sure of it, so here it is:

Without Passengers, there would have been no Kid A.

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2016, 09:59:54 AM »
I get a lot of stick from my mates for saying this, but I'm 100% sure of it, so here it is:

Without Passengers, there would have been no Kid A.

Interesting. But what makes you think that?

Offline shanep

• Stateless
« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2016, 02:32:27 PM »
Desire by Ryan Adams. It could be considered Desire Pt II. Sounds like R&H era U2(Desire and Hawkmoon 269).

Great song.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 02:35:22 PM by shanep »