Author Topic: Ideas for 2009 Tour Setlist  (Read 15618 times)

Offline FishLips

• Stateless
Re: Ideas for 2009 Tour Setlist
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 01:25:48 AM »
Their back catalog of music is large enough and I've gone to enough concerts, I don't really care what it is they play pre-NLOTH.  But what I hope they do is something similar to the ZooTV tour:  by kicking it off with a good solid 7-8 song set from NLOTH.  This album deserves to be represented well.

Offline Chas

• Refugee
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 05:14:09 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ok now that a lot of people have heard the songs of the new album, how about we suggest our ideas for the Setlist of the next tour ?

Here's mine

Long Intro (ala Elevation Tour)
Magnificent
Get On Your Boots
Elevation
Still Havent Found
Gloria
Boy / Electric Co.
Fez / Being Born (larry continues the military drum roll and then fully blasts Sunday Bloody Sunday)
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Stand Up Comedy
Until The End Of The World
Unknown Caller
No Line On The Horizon
Love And Peace Or Else
Desire
Running To Stand Still
Moment Of Surrender (keyboars slowly segues into one of the most recognizable riffs, A big red background... you see what i'm trying to do  8) )
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

The Fly
Pride
City Of Blinding Lights

White As Snow
Bad / 40

As you can see, i ditched some big chunks (Bullet The Blue Sky, With Or Without you) But kept staples like Streets, I can't picture a U2 Concert without Streets.

I like the idea of SBS into SUC. Larry can use the drums for SBS to lead right into it.

Offline FishLips

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 05:24:00 PM »
I forgot to say in my earlier post that I would definitely like to see Pop represented this tour.. even if it's just 1 song a night.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 06:11:53 PM »
Their back catalog of music is large enough and I've gone to enough concerts, I don't really care what it is they play pre-NLOTH.  But what I hope they do is something similar to the ZooTV tour:  by kicking it off with a good solid 7-8 song set from NLOTH.  This album deserves to be represented well.

I am hoping the same thing.  That tour set an amazing precedent by featuring the AB songs, and it seems like the PopMart stuff alternated between new and old every other song for much of the set.  I'd rather have the first chunk be all the new stuff, and then select some classics from the back catalog, plus the essential staples.

U2-obsessed-and-proud - you are in for a treat if you get to go this tour.  Once you have seen it live in the room, you will know why all the fans RAVE about Streets live.  It has been said that God walks through the room when they play that song, and that is no stretch.

--edit---
Oh and I forgot to mention - nice set list - I could go for that.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 09:26:30 PM by EdgeUK8_my_mind »

Offline kristbg

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Head first, then foot, then heart sets sail
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 11:57:19 AM »
Is Matt going to do another edition of the setlist prediction contest this year?

Offline LarsO

• Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »
My list: (I made another one in another thread.. My imagination changes)

1 Magnificent (with long intro)
2 No Line On The Horizon
3 I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
4 Unknown Caller
5 An Cat Dubh
6 The Fly
7 Mysterious Ways
8 Mofo
9 Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
10 Get On Your Boots
11 Twilight
12 An Cat Dubh
13 Into The Heart
14 October
15 Please
16 Cedars Of Lebanon
---------------------
17 Where the streets have no name (long intro that starts REALLY low from the moment the previous song ends)
18 Even Better Than The Real Thing
19 Until The End Of The World
20 The Unforgettable Fire
21 Moment Of Surrender
22 The Ground Beneath Her Feet (acoustic)

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 10:52:59 PM »
Setlist is good minus Elevation, have a feeling that's for the chop. Think maybe Unforgettable Fire may make a retunr would fit well with he new songs.
Can't wait to see the sets though.
I think we may see the end of a few old timers.
SBS
Bullet
WOWU

My thoughts exactly.  With the past 2 tours U2 have brought back some songs they had not play too much of in the 90s - Out of Control, Into the Heat, An Cat Dubh, and Electric Co, and full band electric version of Sunday Bloody Sunday.  All of the songs that they brought back shared some point of reference or similiarities with the new album at the time.  Unforgetable Fire would be a great fit.

I'd like to see Unforgettable Fire, Sort of Homecoming, Bad, Wire, Zooropa, Wake Up Dead Man, Wanderer, Dirty Day, Gone, Please and Stay get alot of play.  All of these, I think would fit really well with NLOTH

Since  "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" almost certainly will be on the tour due to it being a single, I can really see it being played next to "In A Little While" ... which I would love!

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 10:58:17 PM »

That would be great!  I can see 1 or 2 well placed songs inserted somewhere in there though

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 11:55:37 PM »

01. NLOTH (performed somewhere between the bside version and the album version, and yes, with the "NO! ...LINE"  chants, its just too infectious free and energetic to leave outto leave out
02. Stand Up Comedy (imagine the segue that can happen between edge's solo here and into...)
03. Until The End Of the World (again imagine the segue that could happen)
04. Breathe
05. Get On Your Boots
06. The Fly
07. Unknown Caller (the long intro would be needed here after that intense start)
08. Beautiful Day
09. Magnificent
10. Where The Streets Have No Name
11. City of Blinding Lights
12. Kite
13. Stay
14. In A Little While
15. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
16. Gloria
17. Fez - Being Born
18. The Unforgettable Fire
19. Zooropa
20. Ground Beneath Her Feet
21. Please
22. Sunday Bloody Sunday
23. Love and Peace
24. White As Snow
25. One
26. Moment of Surrender
27. Bad/Walk On/40 (Im sure Bono would be able to work a "Let Me In the Sound" chant into Bad toward the end)

Offline latindrummer2112

• Refugee
  • my gig review blog ->latindrummer.wordpress.com
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 01:32:16 AM »
Bet you guys didn't see this coming...

MAIN SET = 100:00
1. No Line on the Horizon
2. Magnificent
3. Moment of Surrender
4. Unknown Caller
5. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
6. Get On Your Boots
7. Stand Up Comedy
8. Fez - Being Born
9. White As Snow
10. Breathe
11. Cedars of Lebanon

12. 11 O Clock Tick Tock
13. I Will Follow
14. Vertigo
15. Beautiful Day
16. City of Blinding Lights
17. Mercy
18. The Unforgettable Fire (all guitar arrangement..hehehe)
19. Where the Streets Have No Name

zooENCORE 1 = 20:00
20. Zooropa/Lemon/Discoteque/The Fly/Mysterious Ways/Ultra Violet
22. Acrobat
23. One

ENCORE 2 = 20:00
24. Party Girl (vocals & guitar: The Edge)
25. In God's Country (vocals and acoustic guitars: Bono & Edge)
26. One Tree Hill
27. Bad

Now THAT would be a hell of a show. New album in it's entirety, some older gems, different arrangements, and a total lack of "big" singles and war horses like WOWY, Still Haven't Found, Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Years and Rattle & Hum material. Note the big ass Zoo Medley in the first encore.

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 06:21:11 PM »
Depending on the what they decide the purpose of the tour should be, this might be a cool list.  I purposefully left off a lot from Boy, War, JT, and AB.  Though there are a few staples mixed in.  I'm wondering if they might feel they have filled out the "Biggest Band" application enough with the last two tours and ditch the old format.  I think this list would tie in nicely with the new album and allow for a whole new emotional context to grow out of some of the older songs because of the order. 

Opening Set:
No Line on the Horizon (that whole extended buzzing intro would really get people fired up)
Magnificent
Get on Your Boots
Vertigo (Love it or hate it, this is not going anywhere. It might serve as a Last Night/Until the End...combo)
Stand Up Comedy
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet the Blue Sky

Acoustic Set
White as Snow
Van Diemen's Land
(I have a feeling this might creep in considering they recently revived this on TV somewhere.  Plus it might hit home with the pilgramage motif Bono described for the new album.)

2nd Half
Unknown Caller
I Will Follow (Slightly Possible)
Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
Moment of Surrender (somebody mentioned the organs mixing in with the red,etc.  That would be wicked fun.)
Streets

Encore:
Breathe
Beautiful Day (the chant of "these days" from Breathe would seem to be a perfect tie in,)
I'll Go Crazy
City of Blinding Lights (piano from Crazy would lead in)
One (or Moment of Surrender)
Cedars of Lebanon
Unchained Melody

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 09:17:12 PM »
IS THERE NO LOVE FOR WITH OR WITHOUT YOU ANYMORE???? 

If they dont play it at the concert I attend, I will be SOOOOO mad!!!!!!!  2nd favorite song to Beautiful Day.

Offline kristbg

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Head first, then foot, then heart sets sail
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 09:30:13 PM »
This is too fun to not give a try. :)

Fez/Being Born
No Line On The Horizon
Get On Your Boots
Vertigo
Beautiful Day
Stand Up Comedy
Moment Of Surrender
Unknown Caller
New Year's Day
The Unforgettable Fire
Pride (In The Name Of Love)

Breathe
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
One

Magnificent
Mysterious Ways
Where The Streets Have No Name

I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Bad
All I Want Is You

I'm pretty sure GOYB will segue into Vertigo. I also think neither Magnificent or MoS will be close to Streets.

Offline fadedu2

• Babyface
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 01:01:20 AM »
I would also get rid of I still haven't found, U2 always seems to play about 8 or 9 new songs from their new album and then slowly as the tour goes on the drop 2 or 3 new songs for some old hits that don't seem to do it anymore.  Even though I love All I want is you and I still haven't found and pride, but I think they need to give them a rest and play other songs.  U2's set list hasn't changed for the last 3 tours except for the new songs they play from the new album they are touring other wise is the same old songs.  I did like in the beginning of the vertigo tour when they were changing the setlist a lot and played older songs especially from boy that they haven't played i a long time.  or when they played discotheque twice or gloria.

Offline fadedu2

• Babyface
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 01:08:04 AM »
this is how I see it. because the way U2 has been playing boots with the intro and all, I think it will be the first song on the setlist.