Author Topic: Bono vs. Freddie Mercury  (Read 11069 times)

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • I’m born again to the latest sound
Re: Bono vs. Freddie Mercury
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2015, 10:45:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Never cared for Freddie or Queen at all .
             Bono by a landslide !

Queen was all right, but nothing close to U2 for me.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2015, 05:03:52 AM »
Freddie was a great entertainer. Bono has so many sides (as the Edge says ''he's a nice bunch of guys'').
I loved the MC Physto type !!

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2015, 08:29:55 PM »
Before I got back in to U2 I love listening to Queen, used to be my favorite band. Hard to call, both have great charisma and amazing voices...
Draw.

Offline erboe

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2015, 04:35:25 PM »
Before I got back in to U2 I love listening to Queen, used to be my favorite band. Hard to call, both have great charisma and amazing voices...
Draw.
Couldn't agree more. I also listened to Queen a lot before I got more into U2, and I still really love Queens music. To me, Queen is Queen, and U2 is U2, and both bands were and are great on what they did. I can't imagine Bono singing Queens' music and vice versa :)

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2015, 07:17:33 PM »
o man Bono's voice doesn't <also, didn't> come close to Mercurys!!!!

Offline skaertus

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2016, 09:27:00 AM »
Well, although this is an old topic, I couldn't help noticing it.

It seems natural that most people in a U2 forum would prefer Bono to Freddie Mercury. Both are/were great singers, entertainers and frontmen. And they were in two of the biggest bands in the world. But they had different styles as well.

Now, while Bono is a great singer, his voice is nowhere near Freddie's. You may have your personal preference, but you have to agree that Freddie Mercury's voice is really unique and something else (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login). This can be especially noticed in the songs of the late era. Just listen to How Can I Go On, I Was Born to Love You or The Show Must Go On.

As for songwriting, Queen and U2 have different styles as well, but I am not sure whether Freddie Mercury or Bono are to be blamed for all the songs of their bands.

The lyrics in U2 songs are somewhat more consistent, but some are also very cliché: You could have flown away / A singing bird / In an open cage / Who will only fly / Only fly for freedom. Some of them also show a similar verse structure, such as: All that you fashion / All that you make / All that you build / All that you break / All that you measure / All that you feel / All this you can leave behind (which seems taken from Pink Floyd's Eclipse).

Some of Queen songs have really stupid lyrics (Bicycle Race). But some of them are really genius, such as Innuendo (If there's a God or any kind of justice under the sky / If there's a point, if there's a reason to live or die / Ha, if there's an answer to the questions we feel bound to ask / Show yourself, destroy our fears, release your mask) or The Show Must Go On, which has some lyrics very difficult to fit in any kind of tune (Empty spaces, what are we living for / Abandoned places, I guess we know the score / On and on, does anybody know what we are looking for / Another hero, another mindless crime / Behind the curtain, in the pantomime / Hold the line, does anybody want to take it anymore) and some metaphors (My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies / Fairy tales of yesterday will grow but never die / I can fly, my friends).

It is of course a matter of personal preference, but Queen's songs seem more complex, elaborate and sophisticated to me.

Now, on stage, Bono is a beast, one of the best frontmen in rock, along stellar guys such as Jim Morrison, Paul McCartney, Steven Tyler, Axl Rose, Ozzy Osbourne, Jon Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, Kurt Cobain and even Elvis Presley. But the fact is that in every list of world's biggest frontmen in rock history, three names almost always come at the top, and among them Freddie Mercury is usually #1, followed by Robert Plant (#2) and Mick Jagger (#3), although sometimes they are interchangeable, but they rarely leave the top 3. Of course this is really very hard to measure, as all of them are great. Bono fronted the highest-grossing tour ever, with an average attendance of 66,000 people in 110 concerts. Freddie Mercury was the showman as Queen performed for some of the largest audiences ever, including stealing the show in some large scale rock festivals (Live Aid, Rock in Rio). You cannot measure or compare greatness.

Offline xy

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2016, 09:44:42 AM »
Freddie Mercury without a doubt. He would never let his voice degrade like Bono did

His voice may not have changed as much as Bono's but you can hear subtle differences in 70's, 80's or early 90's Mercury. Also, Bono has about 10 years of age on Mercury now. Does anyone really think Freddie at 55 would sound the same ?

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2016, 03:44:54 PM »
Freddie (and Robert Plant, certainly) have more natural talent. Having said, that I think Bono wins due to the soul factor.  He's done a lot with what God's given him.

Offline Smee

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2016, 05:46:01 AM »
Freddie Mercury without a doubt. He would never let his voice degrade like Bono did

His voice may not have changed as much as Bono's but you can hear subtle differences in 70's, 80's or early 90's Mercury. Also, Bono has about 10 years of age on Mercury now. Does anyone really think Freddie at 55 would sound the same ?
Speculation is pointless. Fact is, at comparitive stages of their lives/Careers, Freddies voice blew Bono's out of the water...and im a way bigger u2 fan than i am a Queen fan.

Offline skaertus

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2016, 08:22:20 AM »

Well, Freddie Mercury died at 45. Bono is currently 56. When Bono was 45 (shortly after the time of release of How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb), his voice was nowhere near Freddie's voice at the time of his death. And Freddie Mercury's voice blew Bono's away at the peak of both careers.

Online riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2016, 08:29:51 AM »
Freddie and Bono are SO different. Both super passionate, but very different. Freddie was wonderful. Freddie was a GREAT front man, as is Bono. I think Freddie could have been a great solo act...Bono needs U2. Not that that is a bad thing!

Offline skaertus

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2016, 08:30:45 AM »
Freddie (and Robert Plant, certainly) have more natural talent. Having said, that I think Bono wins due to the soul factor.  He's done a lot with what God's given him.

This may be a little unfair to say.

Bono puts a lot of effort in U2 concerts, and he certainly has a lot of the "soul factor". In fact, sometimes Bono seems to do everything to please his audience.

But both Freddie Mercury and Robert Plant put out great concerts as well. What these artists did on stage was not just "natural talent". Just take a look at videos from Queen and Led Zeppelin concerts. Queen in the 80s and Led Zeppelin in the 70s, I mean. The real thing, not those after-life reunions. Freddie Mercury and Robert Plant dominated the audience and showed generations to come what a rock star should be. Queen and Led Zeppelin on stage were pretty much everything you could expect of a rock concert.

Offline skaertus

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2016, 08:35:31 AM »
Freddie and Bono are SO different. Both super passionate, but very different. Freddie was wonderful. Freddie was a GREAT front man, as is Bono. I think Freddie could have been a great solo act...Bono needs U2. Not that that is a bad thing!
You never know. They both did some solo acts, but their solo careers never really took off.

Freddie Mercury had just two solo albums released before his death, and he had no real time to develop a career here. These albums had their share of success, but not in the level of Queen.

Bono has no solo career on his own, but has collaborated with a few artists. Some great things, including a duet with Frank Sinatra, but that does not make a solo career.

Offline xy

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2016, 09:05:34 AM »

Speculation is pointless. Fact is, at comparitive stages of their lives/Careers, Freddies voice blew Bono's out of the water...and im a way bigger u2 fan than i am a Queen fan.

You and skaertus , see my first post in this thread re : Freddie being better.

I'm just saying Bono has 10 - and counting - years on Freddie now. A lot can happen to a voice in 10 years. Plus Freddie didn't tour for the last few years of Queen - not touring helps.

It's also important to note Bono, like most rock singers, has aged vocally. On the other hand of the spectrum, there's guys like Freddie or Roy Orbison that can still sound great throughout their career.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2016, 10:14:12 AM »
Now that I'm older, and have "grown out" of Queen, (Hate to use that term, but couldn't think of anything else.) I think Bono is my favorite of the two. I prefer his voice, especially how it was utilized in the '90s, having a grittier sound. Lyrically, I think Bono is much better at writing meaningful songs... but I may need a refresher.