Author Topic: Bono vs. Freddie Mercury  (Read 10533 times)

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
Re: Bono vs. Freddie Mercury
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2016, 02:00:41 PM »
In those polls of greatest frontmen, Freddie Mercury is the only one who, when he comes in front of Bono, I think "I would have voted Bono but yeah, you can have that." And I'm not a Queen fan apart from the odd song.

I prefer Bono as his vocals can be so hypnotic, his songs so healing and powerful, and his lyrics speak to me more than anyone's. He actually writes about the real world whilst Queen - albeit with few equals as musicians - seemed to write overblown concept pieces that weren't really about what is going on in our world.

The problem (or brilliance) with Bono is that he is incredibly gifted in multiple disciplines but some of these fall outside music. So that distracts from his work as a musician and of course even loses him points in the respectability stakes. Freddie I think was pure music and if you sat him down at a piano to write an album / musical, he would come up with the goods whereas Bono would need collaborators or his band around him.

Offline skaertus

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2016, 04:14:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Now that I'm older, and have "grown out" of Queen, (Hate to use that term, but couldn't think of anything else.) I think Bono is my favorite of the two. I prefer his voice, especially how it was utilized in the '90s, having a grittier sound. Lyrically, I think Bono is much better at writing meaningful songs... but I may need a refresher.

Bono's voice is great, but Freddie's is technically superior. It is really hard to find a rock singer that can surpass Freddie Mercury's voice. Of course you may prefer the way Bono's voice sounds, but that is a matter of personal preference.

As for the lyrics, I honestly think U2 songs are overrated. I mean, some lyrics are good, but they pretend to be better than they really are. The lyrics in the latest albums contain so many clichés... some Queen songs have much more sophisticated lyrics, which are more layers of meaning.

Offline skaertus

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2016, 04:22:01 PM »
In those polls of greatest frontmen, Freddie Mercury is the only one who, when he comes in front of Bono, I think "I would have voted Bono but yeah, you can have that." And I'm not a Queen fan apart from the odd song.

I prefer Bono as his vocals can be so hypnotic, his songs so healing and powerful, and his lyrics speak to me more than anyone's. He actually writes about the real world whilst Queen - albeit with few equals as musicians - seemed to write overblown concept pieces that weren't really about what is going on in our world.

The problem (or brilliance) with Bono is that he is incredibly gifted in multiple disciplines but some of these fall outside music. So that distracts from his work as a musician and of course even loses him points in the respectability stakes. Freddie I think was pure music and if you sat him down at a piano to write an album / musical, he would come up with the goods whereas Bono would need collaborators or his band around him.

Oh, come on. Bono is not "incredibly gifted in multiple disciplines". He is not Leonardo Da Vinci. And he does not distract himself. He is committed to social causes, and raises flags. But he is also a businessman and capitalizes a lot on that. Truth be told. There are superior musicians to Bono, but Bono knows very well how to market himself.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2016, 06:16:29 PM »
Now that I'm older, and have "grown out" of Queen, (Hate to use that term, but couldn't think of anything else.) I think Bono is my favorite of the two. I prefer his voice, especially how it was utilized in the '90s, having a grittier sound. Lyrically, I think Bono is much better at writing meaningful songs... but I may need a refresher.

Bono's voice is great, but Freddie's is technically superior. It is really hard to find a rock singer that can surpass Freddie Mercury's voice. Of course you may prefer the way Bono's voice sounds, but that is a matter of personal preference.

As for the lyrics, I honestly think U2 songs are overrated. I mean, some lyrics are good, but they pretend to be better than they really are. The lyrics in the latest albums contain so many clichés... some Queen songs have much more sophisticated lyrics, which are more layers of meaning.
If we are speaking technically, then Freddy's voice is clearly better, I agree. I just prefer my rock singers to sing with more grit, and Bono brings that to the table. I'm not going to pretend that you'll find much meaning behind any lyrics in U2's latest works. In the '90s, however, Bono wrote some incredible songs.

Offline skaertus

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2016, 08:03:22 PM »
If we are speaking technically, then Freddy's voice is clearly better, I agree. I just prefer my rock singers to sing with more grit, and Bono brings that to the table. I'm not going to pretend that you'll find much meaning behind any lyrics in U2's latest works. In the '90s, however, Bono wrote some incredible songs.

Yes, as I said, it is a matter of personal preference. I like both Freddie and Bono, but I have to say I like Freddie better.

All U2 songs are meaningful. But I would expect the lyrics to be somewhat more sophisticated. At the same time, I found several layers of meaning in some Queen songs from which I would expect very little.

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2016, 08:29:35 PM »
I take Bono any time. He writes better songs and melodies, his lyrics are more meaningfull to me and he shows more variety in his singing approach. Live, Bono is and was (up to elevation even more I'd say) an amazing performer. To pull-off shows as varied as ZooTV, Elevation and Popmart takes a lot of talent as a frontman.

Offline skaertus

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2016, 08:47:31 PM »
I take Bono any time. He writes better songs and melodies, his lyrics are more meaningfull to me and he shows more variety in his singing approach. Live, Bono is and was (up to elevation even more I'd say) an amazing performer. To pull-off shows as varied as ZooTV, Elevation and Popmart takes a lot of talent as a frontman.

Well, anyone has the right to express his own opinions. But Queen songs are lyrically and musically more sophisticated than U2 songs. Queen songs show much more variety than U2 songs; Bohemian Rhapsody, Innuendo, We Are The Champions, The Show Must Go On, Crazy Little Thing Called Love - these are all very different songs from one another. U2 does not have this variety.

As for the tours, ZooTV, Elevation and Popmart were very different, but because of their concepts. This has nothing to do with the frontman. Bono was there pulling up a great show in each tour, but I don't see how these different concepts would require much more from the frontman himself.

Offline craola

• Wanderer
  • https://soundcloud.com/ambulai/
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2016, 02:04:03 AM »
But Queen songs are lyrically and musically more sophisticated than U2 songs.
and infinitely more obnoxious. and even at his worst, bono never gets as cringey lyrically as crap like "we are the champions"

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2016, 11:35:50 AM »

Well, anyone has the right to express his own opinions. But Queen songs are lyrically and musically more sophisticated than U2 songs. Queen songs show much more variety than U2 songs; Bohemian Rhapsody, Innuendo, We Are The Champions, The Show Must Go On, Crazy Little Thing Called Love - these are all very different songs from one another. U2 does not have this variety.

As for the tours, ZooTV, Elevation and Popmart were very different, but because of their concepts. This has nothing to do with the frontman. Bono was there pulling up a great show in each tour, but I don't see how these different concepts would require much more from the frontman himself.
It's not because something is more sophisticated that it is better. In fact, with art, it tends to be the opposite.

Offline georgemccauley

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2016, 12:55:16 PM »
Bono is incredibly soulful and has a great range to his voice, he can sing low, high with grit, without grit, with attitude, without attitude.... Bono officially has a higher vocal range than Mercury if you look for the facts you will find it.

Not saying Freddie is bad by any stretch, he was a great front man and a great rock singer. But I find his vocal performances all too samey for my liking. There is not enough variety with Mercury to make him superior to Bono,

U2 are a greater band for quite a few reasons, their longevity is a major factor.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2016, 02:03:25 AM »
Bono is incredibly soulful and has a great range to his voice, he can sing low, high with grit, without grit, with attitude, without attitude.... Bono officially has a higher vocal range than Mercury if you look for the facts you will find it.

Not saying Freddie is bad by any stretch, he was a great front man and a great rock singer. But I find his vocal performances all too samey for my liking. There is not enough variety with Mercury to make him superior to Bono,

U2 are a greater band for quite a few reasons, their longevity is a major factor.
He is soulful, and i would love to hear him do more soulful stuff. And next to that he is an outstanding entertainer.

Offline Samdoyle1987

• Babyface
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2017, 06:10:54 PM »
Freddie  (with a range of F2 to F6!)had a superior range to bono (who has a range of  E2 to G#5). Bono did (does?) Have an excellent range, but not quite as expansive as Mercurys was at his peak. But of course range is not everything, and the quality of ones voice is far more important. I tend to think that bono has a slightly better voice that Freddie, just because of bonos emotion, passion and desperation that his voice conveys. Bono has one of the most effective and expressive voices I have ever heard. Think of the bitterness and regret in "one", the desperate and determined " wide awake" of Bad, the yearning and hope in "where the streets have no name". Freddie's voice was amazing also, (think of Barcelona, how can I go on, don't stop me now, and the legendary " prophet's song".  As songwriters, I find bono superior. I know this sounds pretentious, but bonos lyrics seem more "mature" than Freddie's. His songwriting can be very hazy and impressionistic (TUF), it can have a narrative appeal (ISHFWILF), and have a beautifully poetic nature as well (OTH). I find Freddie's writing to be good, but not particularly resonant.
I must say, Freddie had an amazing knack for melodies and catchy vocal hooks. There are so many catchy and unique sounding queen songs. So for creating a memorable melody, I must give the edge to Mercury.
As performers, it is hard to decide. Freddie was larger than life, eccentric and energetic. Bono is those things, but to a lesser degree. I find bonos live performances to create a genuine emotional connection with the audience, and he seems to go to a spiritual place for some songs. As a classic frontman, Freddie wins.  Its impossible to definitively say, but I slightly prefer Bono.