Author Topic: Bono vs. Freddie Mercury  (Read 16324 times)

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
Re: Bono vs. Freddie Mercury
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2018, 02:36:08 PM »
Bono has sung a much wider variety of song types (not all operatic) - he's post-punk and soulful as well as operatic.  Bono can now command an audience as much as Freddie did, but came to this a bit later than Freddie.  Freddie's catsuits looked ridiculous, and Bono looked great in a waistcoat and trousers (no shirt) in his prime.  Bono's sexier.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2018, 05:30:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Bono has sung a much wider variety of song types (not all operatic) - he's post-punk and soulful as well as operatic.  Bono can now command an audience as much as Freddie did, but came to this a bit later than Freddie.  Freddie's catsuits looked ridiculous, and Bono looked great in a waistcoat and trousers (no shirt) in his prime.  Bono's sexier.

Haha I thought that Freddie totally rocked those satin catsuits.  I do agree though that Bono was very sexy in those waistcoats! and those beautiful wails that he did.

Offline jono2u

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "i was born to sing for you"
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2018, 02:30:55 PM »
Bono would be my own personal preference however there is no doubt Freddie was one of the great live performers/ frontman of all time. Those 20 mins at Live Aid alone 👏👏👏

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2018, 02:02:18 PM »
I think Queen as a band is very overrated. Freddie Mercury on the other hand was an amazing front man. I think he is one of the few who could beat Bono in his prime as a singer and showman - but I much prefer the music of U2.

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2018, 06:28:34 AM »
U2 is my favorite band and Bono is a stellar frontman and driving creative force, but Freddie Mercury is unmatched. I'm comfortable saying that in the knowledge that Bono would probably agree.  ;D

Offline welshguy77

• Babyface
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2018, 05:20:48 PM »
Both are/were great.  Freddie had the better voice of course, but both were brilliant entertainers.  Maybe Freddie edges this, but U2 are the better band overall.

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2018, 02:37:57 AM »
From a personal p.o.v, I obviously prefer the B-man, I think the songs and the band are just so much more personal to me than Queen. That said, I absolutely love Freddie, and Queen. His voice was just immense but when i listen to Queen i think 'Wow this is great, they were great good for them' kinda thing whereas with U2 it tends to be so much more relateble

Online laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2018, 05:18:31 PM »
Wow, what an interesting question. And I never knew it was so commonly discussed.

I'm a U2 fan. I do like Queen quite a bit, and I know a fair number of their songs, but I haven't studied them. I'm not clear on the chronology and I can't speak to how Freddy's voice sounded live.

That said, I've always assumed Freddy had the better voice. He does have a higher range, and his voice is clearer. I've heard Bono miss notes, maybe Freddy did too but I haven't studied him. Made in Heaven is a jaw-dropping vocal performance, and he made it seem effortless. He was obviously quite the showman too. And I did love his style very much.

Still, Bono's my guy. I do hear more of a range in vocal emotion from him - not to say at all that Freddy was stunted in that department though. Bono's type of showmanship just appeals to me like nobody else. Freddy had a gorgeous voice, but he can't soothe me like Bono can.