Author Topic: Peter Gabriel's Genesis  (Read 1267 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Peter Gabriel's Genesis
« on: February 13, 2014, 12:09:08 PM »
thoughts? suggestions? ive been thinking about gettin some of the early pre-Phil Collins-lead albums. I own We Can't Dance and that's it, so i wanted to try the real stuff. Post youtube links were applicable.

thanks.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
  • II-V
Re: Peter Gabriel's Genesis
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 12:37:43 PM »
My automatic reaction was to say The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. It's Peter Gabriel's last album with Genesis, and it's really awesome. But it's also long- four sides of vinyl, so about 24 songs- and it's a rock opera with a very, very confusing plot. So if you focus on lyrics more than music it can be pretty hard to get into.

I wouldn't know where else to start, but I've been thinking about getting into PG-era Genesis too.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 12:49:48 PM »
yea i figured you'd chime in, Chilly! i read that Selling England by the Pound is the highest rated one.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 01:32:50 PM »
the Collins-Genesis sounds so much like his solo albums that i'm more interested in the pre-Collins stuff

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 01:39:09 PM »
My take:

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is probably the easiest to get into.  The plot's a mess, but the tunes are mostly approachable, being shorter songs, and PG doesn't sound too different from his first solo album.  There's definitely some noodling and filler, but the title track, Back in NYC, Carpet Crawlers, and In the Cage are great, great songs.

Selling England by the Pound is also very good--possibly the best, and most consistent, of PG's Genesis albums.  Longer songs, but lots of great melodies.  I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) and Firth of Fifth are super, as is Cinema Show.

Foxtrot also has Supper's Ready, which is an album-side suite.  It's a pretty amazing piece of music.

Those are probably the best.  I have Nursery Cryme, but don't remember much of anything from it.

Also, if you only have the later, more popular Phil Collins Genesis albums, I highly recommend A Trick of the Tail.  It might be my favorite Genesis album in their entire career.  It's still quite "proggy", and bears little resemblance to the popular stuff of the 80's and beyond.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 01:41:11 PM »
i also have PG's 3 and Us

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 01:45:31 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Heck, I'd recommend pretty much every PG album, while I'm at it--I'm a big fan, and actually prefer his solo material to Genesis.  Security (4) and So are kind of essential, though you've certainly heard plenty from the latter album.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 01:53:50 PM »

Heck, I'd recommend pretty much every PG album, while I'm at it--I'm a big fan, and actually prefer his solo material to Genesis.  Security (4) and So are kind of essential, though you've certainly heard plenty from the latter album.

:o

..........Sledgehammer and Big Time are PG songs???

color me uninformed. Now im suddenly more interested in this

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 01:55:43 PM »
Lanois did this??

Ok forget it i want this now.

and just how "prog rock" are the early Genesis albums? I mean are we talking King Crimson levels orrrrrrr?

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
  • II-V
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 02:17:56 PM »
So is awesome and probably the most accessible. Start listening there! Although I've guess you've already listened to PG3 ("Melt") and Us... and Us is the best in my opinion.

I meant to check out Foxtrot, because Supper's Ready is so cool...

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 02:21:05 PM »
Lanois did this??

Ok forget it i want this now.

and just how "prog rock" are the early Genesis albums? I mean are we talking King Crimson levels orrrrrrr?

Early Genesis is about as "prog" as anything I know of, but it's much less "rock" than King Crimson.  They were certainly among the early prog giants, along with Yes and KC, but they were much more whimsical and pastoral, drawing from English culture.  The music is sprawling but lightly textured.

And yeah, Lanois was involved with PG starting with his soundtrack to Birdy, and then So, which was GIGANTIC for both of them, and then Us.  If you didn't realize Sledgehammer and Big Time were PG, then you haven't even scratched the surface.  You have a LOT to get into, and a lot of it is great.  (I wouldn't even say those two songs are among my favorites of his.)  I can't recommend his stuff enough.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 02:23:07 PM »
Unfortunately i havent heard them in years so it's all but forgotten. I will revisit them. I've had a fire lit under my butt to try early Genesis stuff. Dunno why. My friend posting this photo did it i guess?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 02:26:16 PM »
LOL.  Yeah, that should tell you that early Genesis is a bit....different from the more mainstream stuff he did in the 80's.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • A-B-C, easy as 1-2-3
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 04:20:18 PM »
Foxtrot, Lamb and Selling England...although the Phil Collins-led albums from Trick of the Tail through Abacab were Genesis' best, imo.

Offline flopro

• Party Girl/Boy
  • The Edge is god... Bono's just a decoy...
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 04:07:27 PM »
I love Peter Gabriel as a solo artist, his melt the face album hasn't got a bad track on it! Heard a few songs from when he was in Genesis and it was a bit strange, i mean i like strange but it was too strange!