Author Topic: Peter Gabriel's Genesis  (Read 1144 times)

Offline TotallyDaft

• Stateless
Re: Peter Gabriel's Genesis
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 01:28:53 PM »
Don't forget to check the early Genesis w/Gabriel performances that are available on YouTube.  There is some really classic footage out there. Gabriel as a large flower is one of my favorites.  ;)

Edited to add some links:

Watcher of the Skies -    You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I Know What I Like ( In Your Wardrobe) - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Dancing with the Moonlit Night -  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Very "trippy", but I still love these. 8)

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 07:34:41 PM by TotallyDaft »

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 01:31:45 PM »
See, i'm afraid it's gonna be a lil "too prog". Lacking pop sensibilities in the style of later Genesis. As much as i can enjoy King Crimson or ELP, they're not entirely accessible.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 02:47:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
See, i'm afraid it's gonna be a lil "too prog". Lacking pop sensibilities in the style of later Genesis. As much as i can enjoy King Crimson or ELP, they're not entirely accessible.

Sometimes music can become so arty farty that is ceases to be enjoyable to actually listen to.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 03:13:37 PM »

Sometimes music can become so arty farty that is ceases to be enjoyable to actually listen to.

I agree. My brother is an early Genesis fan and played me a DVD when I was over at his place. Peter Gabriel was dressed as a flower pretending to mow the lawn. That was the point I told him I had to get going.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 03:15:12 PM »

I agree. My brother is an early Genesis fan and played me a DVD when I was over at his place. Peter Gabriel was dressed as a flower pretending to mow the lawn. That was the point I told him I had to get going.

Haha, that would have been while performing I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) then.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
  • II-V
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 04:16:31 PM »
Don't even get started on the costume changes in Supper's Ready, either! There's a flower and a demon-thing and what's probably an angel at the end.For some it might keep the attention during a 24-minute song... for others it's just distracting from that music.

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 04:22:22 PM »
Don't even get started on the costume changes in Supper's Ready, either! There's a flower and a demon-thing and what's probably an angel at the end.For some it might keep the attention during a 24-minute song... for others it's just distracting from that music.

From what i read it was all done as a reaction to the vocals being low during the early shows so he kept their attention with costumes.

Wikipedia -

Costumes
Gabriel as "Britannia", or "The Moonlit Knight" 1974

Early Genesis concerts were hampered by a bad PA system which made it difficult for audiences to understand what Gabriel was singing. According to Mike Rutherford, this drove Gabriel to find other ways to impress his personality on the audience, leading to his performing in various costumes.[12]

In an episode of the 2007 British documentary series Seven Ages of Rock, Steve Hackett recalled the first appearance of Gabriel "in costume". It was the dress-wearing, fox-headed entity immortalised on the cover of Foxtrot. Hackett and the rest of the band had no inkling that Gabriel was going to do this, and at the time Hackett worried that it would ruin the performance. It was a success, encouraging Gabriel to continue wearing costumes while singing.

Among Gabriel's many famous costumes, which he developed to visualise the musical ideas of the band as well as to gain press coverage, were "Batwings" for the band's usual opening number, "Watcher of the Skies".

Other costumes included "The Flower" and "Magog", which were both alternately worn for "Supper's Ready" from the album Foxtrot.

"Britannia" was worn for "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight", and "The Reverend" for "The Battle of Epping Forest" (both from Selling England by the Pound).

"The Old Man" was worn for "The Musical Box" from Nursery Cryme.

"The Slipperman" and "Rael" were worn during "The Colony of Slippermen", in which "Rael" was the protagonist of the album The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
  • II-V
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 04:51:10 PM »
On the other hand, I have no problem with Rael... *shifty eyes*

The flower and the fox are kind of endearing though.

I've read that article plenty of times before, ha. :D

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 04:11:20 PM »

This is why I say go with Lamb Lies Down on Broadway first, if you're interested in PG-era Genesis.  It's a double album, yes, and there's certainly some padding in there, but I'd say most of the songs are approachable, pop-structured songs.  There are less of the 10 minute long prog workouts on there, I'd say--and the "proggy" stuff is still pretty approachable, imo.

But first, you sound like me before I got "into" them.  I tend to work better going backwards, starting with something a little more familiar.  Genesis purists might scoff, but try this: Carpet Crawlers 1999.  It's a song from Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, re-recorded by the full band with PG, in 1999.  Both he and Phil Collins share vocals, it's very "modern-produced", but the song is still intact.  I mean, this was released as a SINGLE.

Carpet Crawlers 1999: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Now, the original version.  Just a gorgeous song.  When the reunited without PG a few years ago, this was, fittingly, the last song in the set.

Carpet Crawlers:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Now that you're listening to the original work, you can go to any of the other great songs on the album.

Back in NYC:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

About as rocking as PG got within the band.  Or ever, really.

Lamb Lies Down on Broadway:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Great tune.

From there, try the full album.  They're not quite as inscrutable as you might think.

Offline feedback

• Refugee
  • 'Father is an Elephant'
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2017, 09:17:52 PM »
Selling England By The Pound is one of the greatest Prog-rock albums of all time. And 'Genesis Live' (1973) ain't too shabby either. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 12:33:33 AM by feedback »