Author Topic: Analyze an album thread!  (Read 10291 times)

Offline _acrobat

• Precious Stone
  • We live inside a dream
Analyze an album thread!
« on: May 22, 2014, 03:31:06 PM »
I couldn't think of a good title but this is a fun thing I've seen done on other sites.

The jist of it is is that you post an album and then post your favorite track, runner up, least favorite, over-rated, and under-rated. If you'd like, you can include a numerical ranking for the album, and say whether you consider the album as a whole to be over-rated or under-rated.

Offline _acrobat

• Precious Stone
  • We live inside a dream
Re: Analyze an album thread!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 03:35:11 PM »
Here's an example:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Favorite: Downbound Train
Runner up: Bobby Jean
Least favorite: Glory Days, though it's not a bad song
Under-rated: I'm on Fire
Over-rated: Dancing in the Dark is the obvious one, but I like it too much to put it.

Score out of ten: 8.5/10
Over or Under-rated: Despite being Springsteen's most well known, I feel like it gets unfairly dismissed as his brush with mainstream pop radio. In fact, it's my favorite of his only behind Darkness on the Edge of Town, so I'm gonna have to say under-rated

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 03:55:11 PM »
Sounds fun!

Hesitation Marks - Nine Inch Nails

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Favorite: All Time Low
Runner Up: Came Back Haunted
Least Favorite: Running
Under-rated: Satellite

Score out of ten: 9/10
Over-rated or Under-rated: It's difficult to say because this is relatively recent. I will go with underrated to a very mild degree, as the album does  an excellent job of mixing different era and sounds that NIN has experimented with over the years.

Offline AJ

• Elevated
  • Vinyl Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 04:42:12 PM »

Flamingo - Brandon Flowers

Favorite: Crossfire
Runner Up: The Clock Was Tickin' (off the deluxe)
Least Favorite: Playing With Fire
Under-Rated: Swallow It

Score out of ten: 7.5/10

I always thought this entire album was under-rated, its a direction that he couldn't have gone into with the Killers and the songs really compliment his voice well. I'd prefer to listen to Flamingo over Day & Age.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
  • II-V
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 05:49:49 PM »
At first I got excited when I saw "analyze" in the title. I thought I was going to start writing three-page essays on the symbolism in rock opera lyrics or somesuch nonsense. :D

Let's go with:

Us by Peter Gabriel.

Favorite: Come Talk To Me
Runner Up: Secret World
Least Favorite: Fourteen Black Paintings
Unerrated: Washing of the Water

Score out of 10: 8.5 maybe.
Everyone always loves So and dislikes Us for being too low-key and resembling So too much. On the contrary, Us is my favorite Peter Gabriel album and one of my favorite albums period.

Offline Taco

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I like tacos
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 11:07:45 PM »
Comedown Machine - The Strokes

Favorite: Call It Fate, Call It Karma
Runner Up: Tap Out
Least Favorite: One Way Trigger
Under-Rated: Every song on the album

Score out of ten: 8/10

I think this album is hugely underrated.  Although it is almost a polar opposite of earlier, more popular Strokes albums, I still love this one.  It's a little more experimental than past Strokes albums.  Also, Julian Casablancas really shows off his vocal range on this album, which I love.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 11:16:29 PM »
R.E.M.-Around the Sun

Favorite: Electron Blue
Runner-Up: I Wanted to Be Wrong
Least Favorite: High Speed Train
Overrated: Final Straw
Underrated: Make It All Okay

Score: 7/10

This is in no way R.E.M.'s best album but it does get maligned far too easily. The stale production and mid-tempo arrangements leave something to be desired but there are some touching and memorable songs sprinkled throughout. I love the emotional directness of the record and it seems more vulnerable and less obtuse than some of their other work. I'd say it's underrated, though I do understand why many don't like it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 11:18:34 PM by Thunder Peel »

smee

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 09:45:45 AM »
Im going to enjoy this thread. Will be keeping a regular eye on it :)

Offline imaginary friend

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • take the long way home
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 12:54:12 PM »
Tool - Lateralus

favorite: Lateralus
runner-up: The Grudge
least favorite: Schism
underrated: Ticks and Leeches
overrated: Schism

score: 10/10

The high point of their career to date, this album is 78 minutes of pure evil, perfectly paced between "quiet and creepy" and punishingly brutal....while exposing true vulnerability on both ends. Lyrically, it's a dissection of relationships, both within/around the band and in Maynard James Keenan's personal life, and his singing rides the complex waves of the music with a level of skill that's truly scary. Best album of the '00s, as far as I'm concerned.

Edgedisciple

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 01:56:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Tool - Lateralus

favorite: Lateralus
runner-up: The Grudge
least favorite: Schism
underrated: Ticks and Leeches
overrated: Schism

score: 10/10

The high point of their career to date, this album is 78 minutes of pure evil, perfectly paced between "quiet and creepy" and punishingly brutal....while exposing true vulnerability on both ends. Lyrically, it's a dissection of relationships, both within/around the band and in Maynard James Keenan's personal life, and his singing rides the complex waves of the music with a level of skill that's truly scary. Best album of the '00s, as far as I'm concerned.

I love it too. This album is a masterpiece, a dark journey through the human mind.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
  • II-V
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 03:20:28 PM »

Favorite: The Book I Read
Runner-Up: Psycho Killer
Least Favorite: Happy Day
Underrated: First Week/Last Week... Carefree
Overrated: ???

Score: 8/10 (maybe)
This is my favorite Talking Heads album and another one of my favorite albums overall. Probably everyone raves about Remain In Light but I adore the first album because it helped me feel more natural and at home with myself. I guess I could sympathize with the lyrics. For personal reasons, it will remain a fave!

Offline _acrobat

• Precious Stone
  • We live inside a dream
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 07:00:31 PM »
Reminds me, I need to pick up 77 soon.

Slanted & Enchanted - Pavement

Fav: In the Mouth a Desert
Runner up: Trigger Cut
Least fav: No Life Singed Her
Underrated: Perfume-V
Overrated: Summer Babe

Score: 9.5/10. One of my all time faves and while the majority of the album deserves a solid ten, there are one or two weak tracks that keep it from perfection.

Offline AJ

• Elevated
  • Vinyl Guru
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 07:17:23 PM »
The White Stripes - De Stijl

Favorite: Truth Doesn't Make A Noise
Runner Up: Little Bird
Least Favorite: Sister, Do You Know My Name?
Underrated: Lets Build A Home
Overrated: Hello Operator

Score - 9/10
My favorite WS album, their best effort at blues rock which is what they were best at. Also near the end of Little Bird is one of my favorite parts of a WS song.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 07:21:29 PM »

Favourite: "All My Friends"
Runner Up: "Are You Sad?"
Least Favourite: "Right Behind You (Mafia)"
Underrated: "Made To Heal"
Overrated: "Life"

Score: 9/10
Our Lady Peace's best album by a landslide. One of my all-time favourites. Definitely underrated when it was released, but has since become recognized as a high point of their career.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 08:14:34 PM »

Favourite: "No Distance Left To Run"
Runner Up: "Trimm Trabb"
Least Favourite: "B.L.U.R.E.M.I."
Underrated: "Trailerpark" - Southpark should have used it in the movie like they were going to.
Overrated: Tough one. Of the well known songs, I guess Tender, but regardless, what a song.

Score: 9.5/10
Blur's masterpiece. The sound of Damon ripping out his soul and Graham fighting with his guitar endlessly. Britpop was over and these guys got better and better.