Author Topic: Analyze an album thread!  (Read 9874 times)

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
  • II-V
Re: Analyze an album thread!
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 03:13:44 PM »
^Reminds me I need to finish listening to that! I tried to listen to it one morning but I was feeling sick and stopped after the third song. It didn't mix well.

But man, I feel like I would love Blur if I listened to more of their albums.

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 04:42:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The White Stripes - De Stijl

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Favorite: Truth Doesn't Make A Noise
Runner Up: Little Bird
Least Favorite: Sister, Do You Know My Name?
Underrated: Lets Build A Home
Overrated: Hello Operator

Score - 9/10
My favorite WS album, their best effort at blues rock which is what they were best at. Also near the end of Little Bird is one of my favorite parts of a WS song.

Great choice, great album

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 01:34:37 PM »
The Breeders - Title TK

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Favorite: Sinister Foxx
Runner up: Huffer
Least favorite: Son Of Three
Under-rated: Off You
Over-rated: London Song (still like it though)

Score out of ten: 8/10
Kim Deal was my favorite member of the Pixies, one of my favorite bands. Her work away from the Pixies is just as stunning and I like all the albums released by The Breeders, with Last Splash being one of my favorite albums ever. I prefer Title TK to Pod, its a great listen with some real gems on it.

Offline TheU2Ken

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • You can see me in person on July 1st in Cleveland
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 01:46:03 PM »

Favourite: "No Distance Left To Run"
Runner Up: "Trimm Trabb"
Least Favourite: "B.L.U.R.E.M.I."
Underrated: "Trailerpark" - Southpark should have used it in the movie like they were going to.
Overrated: Tough one. Of the well known songs, I guess Tender, but regardless, what a song.

Score: 9.5/10
Blur's masterpiece. The sound of Damon ripping out his soul and Graham fighting with his guitar endlessly. Britpop was over and these guys got better and better.
spot on

I'll do two

Paramore - Brand New Eyes

Favorite - Playing God
Runner up - Careful
Least Favorite - Looking Up *Still a good song*
Under-rated - All I Wanted *Most Die-hard are obsessed with the song, as am I, and are craving for a live performance*
Over-rated - The Only Exception *still a good song*

Score - 9.8/10
The band was having fight after fight and this album showed it. The songs are about troubles the members were having and it was their way to vent. The last album as a 5-piece is my favorite and a top 5 album of all time

Paramore - Paramore

Favorite - Last Hope
Runner Up - Ain't It Fun
Least Favorite - Still Into You
Underrated - (One of Those) Crazy Girls *saw the only live performance. epic*
Overrated - Fast in My Car

Score - 9/10

This was a dramatic change from the first 3 albums, especially in the mood of the album. Most of this album was much happier than anything ever before, from Ain't It Fun to Fast in My Car, the whole band had fun.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Stanley Cup Champions
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 04:32:30 PM »

Im going to enjoy this thread. Will be keeping a regular eye on it :)

Same here

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 04:54:27 PM »

Favorite: Late Night
Runner Up: Out of the Woods
Least Favorite: Step Son
Underrated: Prelude - A slow burning album opener with some great guitar work that will make you bob your head.
Overrated: My Number - Still a good song, but I feel like there are plenty of better songs on the record.

Score: 7/10 - Definitely worth a listen for the catchy guitar links and overall good song structure. However, the album does fall off in the second half somewhat.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Stanley Cup Champions
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 05:52:47 PM »

Favorite: In Hiding
Runner-up: Do the Evolution
Least Favorite: Red Dot (Track 8 )
Underrated: No Way
Overrated: probably Given to Fly but I love it

Score out of ten: 9/10

Over or under rated?: There are a couple of popular PJ songs on this one (even if they weren't chart toppers) but I think this album is very underrated. It's different at times but I think that every track is great in its own way.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:54:18 PM by Starman »

Offline TheU2Ken

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2014, 07:16:10 PM »
Yea this is way too much fun

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Stanley Cup Champions
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2014, 08:01:08 PM »

Yea this is way too much fun

+1

Offline TheU2Ken

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2014, 08:54:20 PM »
I'll just do all of Coldplay

Favorite - Trouble
Runner Up - Shiver
Least Favorite - High Speed
Underrated - Don't Panic
Overrated - Everything's Not Lost

8/10 - Good first album. Not many faster songs, but the ballads are great

Favorite - God Put A Smile Upon Your Face
Runner up - Green Eyes
Least Favorite - A Whisper
Underrated - A Rush of Blood to the Head
Overrated - In My Place *but I love it live*

9/10 - introduction to modern Coldplay. Started the trend of arena/stadium anthems for the band.

Favorite - White Shadows
Runner Up - Talk
Least Favorite - What If
Underrated - A Message
Overrated - The Hardest Part

9.7/10 - Although many hate it, it's my favorite CP album. The darkness of the album draws me in.

Favorite - Lovers in Japan
Runner Up - Strawberry Swing
Least Favorite - Reign of Love
Underrated - Death and All of His Friends
Overrated - Viva la Vida

9.5/10 - Considered to be CPs finest by many, I too love it. Although I'm not the biggest fan of the albums biggest song

Favorite - Charlie Brown
Runner Up - Hurts Like Heaven
Least Favorite - Princess of China
Underrated - Up With the Birds or Don't Let It Break Your Heart
Overrated - Paradise

7/10 - Coldplay's biggest flop. Still filled with great songs but a lot of meh to mediocre songs.

Favorite - O
Runner Up - Midnight
Least Favorite - Oceans
Underrated - True Love
Overrated - Magic

8.8/10 - Great album. A little too much Chris but it's still amazing. Perfect nighttime listen
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 08:58:22 PM by TheU2Ken »

meximofo

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2014, 08:56:37 PM »
Radiohead OK Computer:

Favorite: Paranoid Android
Runner-up: Karma Police
Least favorite: The Tourist
Underrated: Fitter Happier
Overrated: Lucky --just because I had to pick one, still awesome

Score out of ten: 9.8/10

I love Pop, but OK Computer was 1997's definite album (I'm getting old!). When everyone was expecting a similar album to their successful The Bends, they came up with this experimental album, lacking of marketable singles (sounds familiar?), which ended up being one of the most influential albums of the 90's. From distorted guitars, background noise, string sections written for 16 instruments to lyrics inspired by Chosmky, and an artwork based on corporate logos and texts in Esperanto (!), the whole album is a statement about anti-corporate and anti-yuppie living styles.
  This was before saying that you liked Radiohead was the epitome of cool. I am a huge fan myself, but Radiohead fans can be very pretentious nowadays. They think that liking both Radiohead and U2 is an act of treason.  >:(

Offline _acrobat

• Precious Stone
  • We live inside a dream
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2014, 06:25:39 AM »

Favorite: Sister Ray
Runner up: I Heard Her Call My Name
Least Favorite: Here She Comes Now (only track that isn't great, it's not bad but is surprisingly unremarkable)
Underrated: The Gift
Overrated: Lady Godiva's Operation

Overall score: 8.5/10. Properly rated, a screeching masterpiece that influenced punk, post-punk, alternative, noise rock, industrial, pretty much everything. I'll take it over their debut any day. The solo on I Heard Her Call My Name is matched only by Love Is Blindness in my opinion.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Stanley Cup Champions
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2014, 07:33:38 AM »
^Here She Comes Now is my favorite on the album

Offline _acrobat

• Precious Stone
  • We live inside a dream
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2014, 07:42:32 AM »
^Here She Comes Now is my favorite on the album

Really? I've always though it to be a good but not great velvets-by the numbers track.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Stanley Cup Champions
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2014, 08:01:12 AM »
The Gift is my least favorite, but it's hard to rate. Sister Ray is hard to rate too.