Author Topic: Analyze an album thread!  (Read 9859 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: Analyze an album thread!
« Reply #150 on: January 31, 2017, 11:07:03 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Favorite: What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Runner-up: Crush With Eyeliner
Least Favorite: You
Underrated: King of Comedy
Overrated: Bang and Blame

Score: 9/10

Masterpiece of an album. What's the Frequency, Kenneth? is a perfect opening to the record that illustrates exactly R.E.M. were trying to do with Monster. Hate to choose You as my least favorite, but that's only because every song on here is incredible.

Just like Pop with u2 fans this album is for me criminally underrated....Kenneth was a fantastic single a proper attitude filled rocker and the album is just immense...

Crush with Eyeliner, Circus Envy, Star 69, Let me In....For me REM's best album - but it suffers from taking fans out of the comfort zone that the big commercially successful albums before it had created for their fans.

The Monster tour show at Milton Keynes Bowl was a great day too......great show and great support from The Cranberries and Radiohead....Dolores was top of her game then and they were superb..

Offline il_capo

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #151 on: January 31, 2017, 11:37:29 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Masterpiece of an album. What's the Frequency, Kenneth? is a perfect opening to the record that illustrates exactly R.E.M. were trying to do with Monster. Hate to choose You as my least favorite, but that's only because every song on here is incredible.

Just like Pop with u2 fans this album is for me criminally underrated....Kenneth was a fantastic single a proper attitude filled rocker and the album is just immense...

Crush with Eyeliner, Circus Envy, Star 69, Let me In....For me REM's best album - but it suffers from taking fans out of the comfort zone that the big commercially successful albums before it had created for their fans.

The Monster tour show at Milton Keynes Bowl was a great day too......great show and great support from The Cranberries and Radiohead....Dolores was top of her game then and they were superb..

I was at the gig the night before when Blur were in support and I won't pretend it wasn't pretty good (once Blur had gone home) if you were near the front, but nothing to write home about further back - the Bowl is not a great outdoor venue.  The show was not a patch on their 1980s live performances.  Then again I did contract Glandular Fever at the 1995 show, and that has perhaps coloured my view of the day  :P

As for Monster... they hyped it as getting back to the raw rock sound of "Document" but their songwriting was too developed and the influence of grunge on the production marred it.  I don't think REM fans underrate it because it takes us out of a "comfort zone".  REM were a far more challenging band in the 80s - Murmur and Fables being particularly obscure on first listens.  I don't dislike Monster but I disappointed by it when it came out - as I was by Pop.  I think both albums could've been much better.  In REM's case I don't think songs like Star 69 and Bang and Blame are up to much - compare them to songs like Exhuming McCarthy and Disturbance at the Heron House on Document, a much better album IMO.  Monster also suffered because it came out the same year as In Utero, which was a more intense and cathartic rock record.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Desert Rose
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #152 on: January 31, 2017, 12:05:08 PM »

I totally agree. It is very reminiscent of Achtung Baby and Pop. Lots of attitude and bad-assery.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #153 on: January 31, 2017, 01:36:56 PM »
Monster has some great cuts but overall it's probably my least favorite R.E.M. album. I feel like they did the gritty rock sound much better on New Adventures in Hi-Fi and Accelerate. Half of the album is brilliant but the other half is forgettable to me.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 01:39:10 PM by Thunder Peel »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #154 on: January 31, 2017, 03:29:45 PM »

I was at the gig the night before when Blur were in support and I won't pretend it wasn't pretty good (once Blur had gone home) if you were near the front, but nothing to write home about further back - the Bowl is not a great outdoor venue.  The show was not a patch on their 1980s live performances.  Then again I did contract Glandular Fever at the 1995 show, and that has perhaps coloured my view of the day  :P

As for Monster... they hyped it as getting back to the raw rock sound of "Document" but their songwriting was too developed and the influence of grunge on the production marred it.  I don't think REM fans underrate it because it takes us out of a "comfort zone".  REM were a far more challenging band in the 80s - Murmur and Fables being particularly obscure on first listens.  I don't dislike Monster but I disappointed by it when it came out - as I was by Pop.  I think both albums could've been much better.  In REM's case I don't think songs like Star 69 and Bang and Blame are up to much - compare them to songs like Exhuming McCarthy and Disturbance at the Heron House on Document, a much better album IMO.  Monster also suffered because it came out the same year as In Utero, which was a more intense and cathartic rock record.

I probably should have explained i meant fans who only really got on board with out of time and automatic...

Which as you will know over here were the first albums of theirs to really make big waves.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 03:31:44 PM by an tha »

Offline il_capo

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #155 on: January 31, 2017, 03:42:05 PM »

I probably should have explained i meant fans who only really got on board with out of time and automatic...

Which as you will know over here were the first albums of theirs to really make big waves.

Fair point: I think Out of Time (Losing My Religion & Shiny Happy People) and then Automatic (esp. Everybody Hurts) won them lots of new fans.  They're both very good albums, but I can see how fans who came along with those albums may have been disappointed with the dirtier songs/sounds on Monster. 

Offline AJ

• Elevated
  • Vinyl Guru
« Reply #156 on: February 04, 2017, 01:36:54 AM »
Really nice AJ - and thanks for bringing me back to one of my favourite threads. On the back of these posts I remember going back and listening to a lot of the albums, several I'd never listened to in full before so it was great. 

Love the site and the close ups of the vinyls - if you're on twitter let me know your handle, easier to follow then when you have new posts! (@east13melbourne is me)

cheers
Hey, thank you so much! I really appreciate the feedback. Sorry for the late response, school and work have kept me really busy so far this year, I miss keeping up on the forum.

My Twitter is @ajmartin33 and I gave yours a follow, your photography and concert reviews are always fun to read.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Desert Rose
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #157 on: February 04, 2017, 12:41:16 PM »

Favorite: Blackstar
Runner-up: Lazarus
Least Favorite: I Can't Give Everything Away
Underrated: Girl Loves Me
Overrated: I Can't Give Everything Away

Score: 8/10

An incredible last effort from Bowie. He is a great example of an artist who never let their fame and fortune get over their head, in terms of music. A weird album that gets better after each listen. The title track is funky, mysterious-sounding masterpiece... probably the best of Bowie's latest works.

Offline Pride

• Numb
  • I wanna be the SuperTux.
« Reply #158 on: February 12, 2017, 04:55:45 PM »
The Tragically Hip by The Tragically Hip (1987)

Favorite: Killing Time
Runner-up: Small Town Bringdown
Least Favorite: I'm a Werewolf Baby
Overrated: Highway Girl (not really overrated, but close enough)
Underrated: Cemetary Sideroad

Up to Here by The Tragically Hip (1989)

Favorite: Another Midnight
Runner-up: New Orleans is Sinking
Least Favorite: Crap, do I have to pick one? 38 Years Old, I guess
Overrated: 38 Years Old
Underrated: When The Weight Comes Down

Road Apples - The Tragically Hip (1991)

Favorite: Bring It All Back
Runner-up: Fight
Least Favorite: Long Time Running
Overrated: Cordelia
Underrated: Fight

Fully Completely - The Tragically Hip (1992)

Favorite: Pigeon Camera
Runner-up: Locked in the Trunk of a Car
Least Favorite: Fully Completely
Overrated: Courage (for Hugh MacLennan)
Underrated: Eldorado

Day For Night - The Tragically Hip (1994)

Favorite: Greasy Jungle
Runner-up: Thugs
Least Favorite: Daredevil
Overrated: Nautical Disaster
Underrated: Titanic Terrarium

Trouble at the Henhouse - The Tragically Hip (1996)

Favorite: Sherpa
Runner-up: Don't Wake Daddy
Least Favorite: Coconut Cream
Overrated: Ahead By a Century
Underrated: Let's Stay Engaged

Phantom Power - The Tragically Hip (1998)

Favorite: Membership
Runner-up: Chagrin Falls
Least Favorite: Save the Planet
Overrated: Poets
Underrated: Emperor Penguin

Music@Work - The Tragically Hip (2000)

Favorite: Wild Mountain Honey
Runner-up: Tiger the Lion
Least Favorite: My Music at Work
Overrated: My Music at Work
Underrated: Literally every song on the album besides My Music at Work (specifically Wild Mountain Honey)

In Violet Light - The Tragically Hip (2002)

Favorite: The Dark Canuck
Runner-up: Leave
Least Favorite: All Tore Up
Overrated: Silver Jet
Underrated: The Dark Canuck

In Between Evolution - The Tragically Hip (2004)

Favorite: You're Everywhere
Runner-up: Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
Least Favorite: Summer's Killing Us
Overrated: Vaccination Scar
Underrated: One Night in Copenhagen

World Container - The Tragically Hip (2006)

Favorite: Last Night I Dreamed You Didn't Love Me
Runner-up: Luv (sic)
Least Favorite: In View
Overrated: In View
Underrated: The Kids Don't Get It

Will add We Are the Same later

Now For Plan A

Favorite: We Want to Be It
Runner-up: Done and Done
Least Favorite: The Lookahead
Overrated: Goodnight Attawapiskat
Underrated: About This Map

Man Machine Poem

Favorite: Man
Runner-up: Machine
Least Favorite: In Sarnia
Overrated: In a World Possessed by the Human Mind
Underrated: Great Soul