Author Topic: Analyze an album thread!  (Read 10538 times)

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
Re: Analyze an album thread!
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2014, 08:29:06 PM »
Weeer-Raditude

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Favorite: Put Me Back Together
Runner Up: I Don't Want to Let You Go
Underrated: Love is the Answer
Overrated: Can't Stop Partying

Overall: 3/10

This one is pretty awful, a sad case where you can actually judge a record by its title and cover. There are a few decent tracks but they're few and far between. I like a lot of post-Pinkerton output but this one is definitely their weakest and time hasn't changed my feelings on it. Grown men should not be singing about topics that make them sound like they're still in high school.

jimothy17

« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2014, 08:35:59 PM »
Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP2 (2013)

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Favourite - Rap God
Runner Up - Berzerk
Least Favourite - The Monster (feat. Rihanna)
Underrated - Rhyme or Reason
Overrated - The Monster (feat. Rihanna)

7/10

« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 12:26:45 AM by jimothy17 »

Offline TheU2Ken

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • You can see me in person on July 1st in Cleveland
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2014, 09:43:23 PM »
last 3 are pretty much spot on

Except

AM - I love No. 1 Party Anthem, R U Mine? is my fav, and I Want It All is the worst sog

Ratitude - If You're Wondering is my fav

MMLP2 - Bad Guy is my 2nd fav

Offline AJ

• Elevated
  • Vinyl Guru
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2014, 10:30:08 PM »
AWOLNATION- Megalithic Symphony

Favorite: Not Your Fault (used to be Sail but its been overplayed)
Runner Up: Wake Up
Least Favorite: People
Underrated: Soul Wars
Overrated: Sail

8/10

jimothy17

« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2014, 11:18:21 PM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
last 3 are pretty much spot on

Except

AM - I love No. 1 Party Anthem, R U Mine? is my fav, and I Want It All is the worst sog

Ratitude - If You're Wondering is my fav

MMLP2 - Bad Guy is my 2nd fav
I think im the only one in this world that digs I Want it All. And, Oh yes, Bad Guy is simply epic. My third fave.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2014, 12:33:25 AM »

Righto. I'd resisted but it's time to deal with the greatest album of all time  ;)

Favorite: Yes
Runner Up: She Is Suffering
Underrated: Faster. It's impossible for this song to ever be 'rated' enough.
Overrated: Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayit'sworldwouldfallapart

Overall: 10/10

An epic masterpiece from the brilliant but by now fragile and destrctive mind of Richey Edwards. The soundbite introductions to songs, the way in which James Dean Bradfield is able to capture the essence of lyrics he didn't write and blend them perfectly with music he did, the nihilistic anger, the melancholy of 4st 7lbs and This is Yesterday, this is the perfect album. Released at a time where Grunge and Britpop were head to head in the charts, the incredible assault on my 16 yo ears by something that was neither just blew me away then, and still does with every listen.

I've listened to many of the albums people are bringing up here in the past week - it's great! So if you've any inclination to do the same, grab a copy, put on some headphones, turn off the lights and enjoy this one, even if it makes you feel uncomfortable. It probably will. But you'll want to listen to it again and again to strip back the layers even further.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2014, 01:11:44 AM »

Righto. I'd resisted but it's time to deal with the greatest album of all time  ;)

An epic masterpiece from the brilliant but by now fragile and destrctive mind of Richey Edwards. The soundbite introductions to songs, the way in which James Dean Bradfield is able to capture the essence of lyrics he didn't write and blend them perfectly with music he did, the nihilistic anger, the melancholy of 4st 7lbs and This is Yesterday, this is the perfect album. Released at a time where Grunge and Britpop were head to head in the charts, the incredible assault on my 16 yo ears by something that was neither just blew me away then, and still does with every listen.

I've listened to many of the albums people are bringing up here in the past week - it's great! So if you've any inclination to do the same, grab a copy, put on some headphones, turn off the lights and enjoy this one, even if it makes you feel uncomfortable. It probably will. But you'll want to listen to it again and again to strip back the layers even further.

Briscoe - think you've captured this bang on - a great album - I always feel weird listening to this and actually any Manics album - Richey Edwards is the forgotten Jim Morrison of his time in a way i think.

Off for a listen again!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2014, 04:54:07 PM »

I was waiting for this - was going to do it myself

Of walking abortion is my favourite though - although they are all just immense

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2014, 05:18:14 PM »
Placebo - Without You I'm Nothing

Favourite: Brick Shithouse
Runner Up: Without You I'm Nothing
Underrated: The Crawl (Please listen to this stunning song if you haven't heard it)
Overrated: Nothing really is IMO but maybe "Pure Morning" if pushed to pick one. It opens the album and its the weakest song on it IMO - it certainly does not act as an indicator of the great stuff that follows.

Overall 10/10

Placebo are a band I love - and this is them at their peak. A mix of raw energy and beautiful melancholy.

It is an autobiographical album IMO of Brian Molko's youth and feelings of angst, being vulnerable and confused, relationships that are f***** and alienation and hedonism.

The songs at times have lyrics that are bit "cringey" but that has always been the case with them, and whilst they are a bit cliched at times they don't in any way detract from the thrilling sound of the record.

It is a very powerful record - with some powerful sounds, but its softer moments also pack a real punch.

The record has a way of drawing me in even now, but it really did when it was released back in 98 when I was a lad in my 20's not the miserable old get in his 40's I am now!

The album can be brutal at times (Brick Shithouse) and just beautiful and heartbreaking at others (The Crawl, Burger Queen - to name two)

If you haven't ever given this band a go - give this album a go, you won't be disappointed.

Tracklisting

1.   "Pure Morning"     4:14
2.   "Brick Shithouse"     3:18
3.   "You Don't Care About Us"     3:58
4.   "Ask for Answers"     5:19
5.   "Without You I'm Nothing"     4:08
6.   "Allergic (To Thoughts of Mother Earth)"     3:49
7.   "The Crawl"     2:59
8.   "Every You Every Me"   3:33
9.   "My Sweet Prince"     5:45
10.   "Summer's Gone"     3:05
11.   "Scared of Girls"     3:01
12.   "Burger Queen/Evil Dildo"     22:39
Total length:
65:48

« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 05:22:18 PM by an tha »

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2014, 07:18:43 PM »
Arctic Monkeys - AM (2013)

Favourite - Do I Wanna Know?
Runner Up - Arabella
Least Favourite - No. 1 Party Anthem
Underrated - I Want It All
Overrated - I Wanna Be Yours

9/10

My favourite Arctic Monkeys album!
I might be crazy, but LOVE No. 1 Party Anthem.  ;D

Offline TheU2Ken

« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2014, 07:19:28 PM »
Arctic Monkeys - AM (2013)

Favourite - Do I Wanna Know?
Runner Up - Arabella
Least Favourite - No. 1 Party Anthem
Underrated - I Want It All
Overrated - I Wanna Be Yours

9/10

My favourite Arctic Monkeys album!
I might be crazy, but LOVE No. 1 Party Anthem.  ;D
I guess both of us are crazy  8)

jimothy17

« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2014, 07:20:26 PM »
Its my least fav on AM, but I still like it!!!

jimothy17

Analyze an album thread!
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2014, 08:25:22 PM »
The Killers - Battle Born (2012)

Favourite - Be Still
Runner Up - Flesh and Bone
Least Favourite - Here With Me
Underrated - Be Still
Overrated - Miss Atomic Bomb

5/10

Be Still is pretty damn good, but the rest is just sad when compared with the genius that is Hot Fuss.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 12:29:10 AM by jimothy17 »

Offline TheU2Ken

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2014, 08:52:42 PM »
Be Still is great live. My fav is Battle Born. Also my fav TK song

Offline AJ

• Elevated
  • Vinyl Guru
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2014, 09:56:16 PM »
Battle Borns actually grown to be my 2nd favorite Killers album behind Sams Town.
Hot Fuss is great for the first 5 songs.