Author Topic: Analyze an album thread!  (Read 10695 times)

Offline TheU2Ken

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • You can see me in person on July 1st in Cleveland
Re: Analyze an album thread!
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2014, 10:35:44 PM »
Yea. HF is my least fav TK album

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
  • II-V
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2014, 06:16:42 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Favorite- Swim Until You Can't See Land
Least Favorite- Nothing Like You
Underrated- Not Miserable
Overrated- Probably Swim Until You Can't See Land again. Though obviously not by me.

Really it's too hard to discuss individual songs on this album because the whole thing fits together so well. The band went to a secluded place by the Scottish seaside to record this deeply personal (at least, it seems that way to me; the band claims it's all fiction) album about a man restarting his life after some tragedy. Constant imagery is that of the sea and cold water. The heavy, textured songs bring about a release. 9/10

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2014, 09:01:19 AM »
Plankeye-Strange Exchange

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Favorite: The Way of the Earth
Least Favorite: Let Me Be Near You (still a great song though!)
Underrated: Remind
Overrated: Maybe the hidden track at the end. I can't think of a song on here that isn't great.

Plankeye's final album is a masterpiece, one of those rare albums that does everything right, both lyrically and musically. They weren't well-known outside the underground Christian scene but they were smart enough and talented enough to reach anyone. I can't see any music fan not liking a song like "Chemicals and Sleep" or "The Meaning of It All". Seeing them grow from a typical punk/pop band to a rock band with different styles and more sonic curiosity was a real treat.

10/10
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 09:04:04 AM by Thunder Peel »

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2014, 04:26:27 PM »
KISS - KISS

Favorite - Black Diamond
Runner Up - Deuce
Underrated - Nothing to Lose
Overrated - Firehouse

KISS is a band that many people automatically dislike because of the makeup and that the show was as important as the music, but you don't sell 100 million albums by just wearing makeup and having fireworks at the show, you gotta have the tunes to have fans buy the albums. While KISS will never be mistaken for Bob Dylan in terms of great lyrics and do not write songs with a lot of meaning; they do write some of the greatest 3 minute straight ahead rock songs about sex, partying, and rock n roll. Not a band to put on for any spiritual journey, political thinking, etc.. but if you're going to a house party or looking for girls at a bar there's not many bands better.

KISS's debut self titled album is their best album, and one of the best debut's in rock history. More then half the album ended up being setlist staples for most of the bands 40 year history. The debut album contains 4 of the bands best songs and 2 of the best hard rock songs ever.

Deuce opened many of their concerts and it is Gene Simmons best song and has one of Ace Frehley best solos. Nothing to Lose is great Gene song that is sung by himself, Paul Stanley, and drummer Peter Criss. I never knew when I was a kid that the song was about Gene trying to get his girlfriend to try anal sex. Strutter is one of the great 3 minute rock songs out there. Black Diamond is in my mind KISS's best song. Written by Paul Stanley and sung by Peter Criss it was the song that closed many of KISS's shows and has been covered by Pearl Jam and the Smashing Pumpkins.

10/10

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Back to back champions!
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2014, 06:15:44 PM »
Yeah, Kiss really wasn't all that bad

jimothy17

« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2014, 11:01:45 AM »
The Beatles - Revolver (1966)

Favourite - Eleanor Rigby
Runner Up - Taxman
Least Favourite - Yellow Submarine
Underrated - And Your Bird Can Sing
Overrated - Yellow Submarine

9.5/10
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 12:30:31 AM by jimothy17 »

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Righto. I'd resisted but it's time to deal with the greatest album of all time  ;)

Favorite: Yes
Runner Up: She Is Suffering
Underrated: Faster. It's impossible for this song to ever be 'rated' enough.
Overrated: Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayit'sworldwouldfallapart

Overall: 10/10

An epic masterpiece from the brilliant but by now fragile and destrctive mind of Richey Edwards. The soundbite introductions to songs, the way in which James Dean Bradfield is able to capture the essence of lyrics he didn't write and blend them perfectly with music he did, the nihilistic anger, the melancholy of 4st 7lbs and This is Yesterday, this is the perfect album. Released at a time where Grunge and Britpop were head to head in the charts, the incredible assault on my 16 yo ears by something that was neither just blew me away then, and still does with every listen.

I've listened to many of the albums people are bringing up here in the past week - it's great! So if you've any inclination to do the same, grab a copy, put on some headphones, turn off the lights and enjoy this one, even if it makes you feel uncomfortable. It probably will. But you'll want to listen to it again and again to strip back the layers even further.

I was waiting for this - was going to do it myself

Of walking abortion is my favourite though - although they are all just immense

My favourite as an aside is She Is Suffering - as An Tha says its an immense album. One 'heavy' album in the truest sense of the word...

Offline imaginary friend

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • take the long way home
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2014, 12:59:34 PM »
Yeah, Kiss really wasn't all that bad

they. sucked. half a dozen good songs at most.

Offline horizon

• Elevated
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2014, 11:04:37 PM »

I know jtimothy already did this album but I thought I'd do it again, if only to include Newborn on the overrated list.
Favorite: Plug in Baby
Runner Up: Citizen Erased
Least Favorite: New Born
Underrated: Bliss
Overrated: New Born

Rating: 7.5/10

macfoley

« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2014, 07:49:54 AM »
Tool - Lateralus

favorite: Lateralus
runner-up: The Grudge
least favorite: Schism
underrated: Ticks and Leeches
overrated: Schism

score: 10/10

The high point of their career to date, this album is 78 minutes of pure evil, perfectly paced between "quiet and creepy" and punishingly brutal....while exposing true vulnerability on both ends. Lyrically, it's a dissection of relationships, both within/around the band and in Maynard James Keenan's personal life, and his singing rides the complex waves of the music with a level of skill that's truly scary. Best album of the '00s, as far as I'm concerned.

Best album of all time in my opinion.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Back to back champions!
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2014, 10:34:48 AM »
I really need to start listening to Tool

Edgedisciple

« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2014, 10:40:04 AM »

Yes you have!  :)

macfoley

« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2014, 01:41:11 PM »

Yes you do! Get in the mood for the now 8 year gap since their last album. The new one is coming out either this year or next year! :D

Managed to catch a couple of Tool shows last time they came over to the UK, and I would consider the 10,000 days tours also as one of the best gigs I have ever seen, along with Rage Against The Machine live at Finsbury Park free gig in London and ZOO TV.

macfoley

« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2014, 01:42:37 PM »

Righto. I'd resisted but it's time to deal with the greatest album of all time  ;)

Favorite: Yes
Runner Up: She Is Suffering
Underrated: Faster. It's impossible for this song to ever be 'rated' enough.
Overrated: Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayit'sworldwouldfallapart

Overall: 10/10

An epic masterpiece from the brilliant but by now fragile and destrctive mind of Richey Edwards. The soundbite introductions to songs, the way in which James Dean Bradfield is able to capture the essence of lyrics he didn't write and blend them perfectly with music he did, the nihilistic anger, the melancholy of 4st 7lbs and This is Yesterday, this is the perfect album. Released at a time where Grunge and Britpop were head to head in the charts, the incredible assault on my 16 yo ears by something that was neither just blew me away then, and still does with every listen.

I've listened to many of the albums people are bringing up here in the past week - it's great! So if you've any inclination to do the same, grab a copy, put on some headphones, turn off the lights and enjoy this one, even if it makes you feel uncomfortable. It probably will. But you'll want to listen to it again and again to strip back the layers even further.

Brilliant album.

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2014, 02:36:29 PM »
The Beatles - Revolver (1966)

Favourite - Eleanor Rigby
Runner Up - Taxman
Least Favourite - Yellow Submarine
Underrated - And Your Bird Can Sing
Overrated - Yellow Submarine

9.5/10

My favorite album and I'd probably choose the same group of songs except Tomorrow Never Knows would be my favorite.