Author Topic: U2 Withdrawals  (Read 1562 times)

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
  • be the insult u want to make
Re: U2 Withdrawals
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2014, 07:27:45 AM »
I've never had U2 withdrawals. Always new music to either write or listen to.

Offline bonofaninaustin

• Global Moderator
  • Intellectual Tortoise
  • Time leaves us polished stones
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2014, 08:41:22 AM »
I am trying to distract myself from thinking about the new album because the wait was becoming unbearable. I have mainly been listening to Arcade Fire after seeing them this spring.

Offline macfoley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 08:43:25 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yeah, plus for me every disappointing delay and unsubstantiated rumor from the band's own mouths lessens my interest in their old material too. I cannot separate the current goings on from the glorious past, and I don't want to. They have tarnished their legacy already for me at least, plus I'm not sure I can listen to any new material with fresh ears if it's attached to so much annoyance either. It would probably be better not to have any news.

I just don't feel the need to pick out a U2 album and listen to it. It is the same with a lot of bands. After overplaying them, same with The Cure (who have the same amount of albums) I feel that I don't need to listen to it for a while. And then after a year or so of not listening to it, you listen again and it is like something that you met in your life and spent a lot of time until you got sick of it, and then not seeing them for a good while and it's all gravy again! You are reminded about what you liked about it the first time and the things that made you cringe "stuck my tongue in her ear" you kind of not as shocked the second time you listen to it. To eventually you end up saying, that line Bono, really is a sh** one.

Offline macfoley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2014, 08:46:14 AM »
I am trying to distract myself from thinking about the new album because the wait was becoming unbearable. I have mainly been listening to Arcade Fire after seeing them this spring.

I had a rough time with them to begin with. Didn't know if I would like them or not, but I kept playing the albums until something clicked. Now I think they are a fantastic band. Interesting to see where they go next.

Offline macfoley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 08:47:45 AM »

I remember you saying you like TOOL. Have you seen A Perfect Circle Stone and Echo live at Red Rocks on youtube? Maynard sounds fantastic on it.

Offline an tha

• Precious Stone
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2014, 08:48:13 AM »
U2's back catalogue will be there for me forever whenever I want to dip into it.

In terms of actively listening to new music I'll give it a go when it arrives, but if it is more stuff that I don't like then u2 become a band I will always look at fondly due to what I love from them, but in terms of being an active fan I don't think I'll be one anymore - as in paying money to see them live, and following them closely.

TUF, AB, Zooropa and Pop will always have a special place in my music collection and heart though.

Offline macfoley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2014, 08:51:18 AM »
U2's back catalogue will be there for me forever whenever I want to dip into it.

In terms of actively listening to new music I'll give it a go when it arrives, but if it is more stuff that I don't like then u2 become a band I will always look at fondly due to what I love from them, but in terms of being an active fan I don't think I'll be one anymore - as in paying money to see them live, and following them closely.

TUF, AB, Zooropa and Pop will always have a special place in my music collection and heart though.

I still think the years of Red Rocks 83 all the way up to Popmart 98, everything U2 touched, turned to gold.

Offline an tha

• Precious Stone
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2014, 09:22:36 AM »

I still think the years of Red Rocks 83 all the way up to Popmart 98, everything U2 touched, turned to gold.

Aye, although I wasn't taken with JT and R&H personally, but you can't question the impact made

Offline macfoley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2014, 09:45:49 AM »

Aye, although I wasn't taken with JT and R&H personally, but you can't question the impact made

No you can't ask the question. JT for me was probs the first refined album I heard from U2. War previous to that. UF to me is more like the rebirth of U2 still finding it's feet but still painting some fantastic pieces of art along the way.

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Precious Stone
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2014, 09:54:28 AM »
Everyone's said it beautifully already--there are plenty of other artists to keep my happy and occupied! I've even gotten some good recommendations on the forum, so thank goodness for the collective exasperation and continued music appreciation of U2 fans.

Offline macfoley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2014, 10:08:01 AM »
I am also rediscovering (again) the legends, from starting the beginning of their journey's. The Beatles, The Doors, Pink Floyd, Hendrix and Zeppelin.

Always I will go back to Pearl Jam too, Radiohead and The Cure.

Tool are probably my favorite band to listen to as in albums from start to finish.

Nine Inch Nails, Queens of the stone age, Deftones, Mastodon, their journey's are very enjoyable and interesting to hear how they evolve.

From the more recent bands, Arcarde Fire. I think they are really great at the moment, I like how they have evolved too.

Don't even get me started with Electro. There are simply too many artists....

Oh a Depeche Mode mission at the moment too.

I'll shut up now.

Offline imaginary friend

• Up With the Sun
  • be the insult u want to make
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2014, 10:23:51 AM »

I remember you saying you like TOOL. Have you seen A Perfect Circle Stone and Echo live at Red Rocks on youtube? Maynard sounds fantastic on it.

nope. I'll have a looksee later.   :)

Offline The Mimsy

• Stateless
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2014, 12:28:58 PM »

I am also rediscovering (again) the legends, from starting the beginning of their journey's. The Beatles, The Doors, Pink Floyd, Hendrix and Zeppelin.

Tool are probably my favorite band to listen to as in albums from start to finish.

Nine Inch Nails, Queens of the stone age, Deftones, Mastodon, their journey's are very enjoyable and interesting to hear how they evolve.

From the more recent bands, Arcarde Fire. I think they are really great at the moment, I like how they have evolved too.

I'll shut up now.

I am a huge Tool fan. Seen them (and Puscifer & Perfect Circle) over 100 times. We've now gone 9 years without a new Tool album but they do tour every few years. So they give us our fix. And I agree with being able to consistently listen to their albums from start to finish and still being blown away. I just listened to Lateralus yesterday twice all the way through. And Aenima is number 1 on my all time fave albums list. (Achtung Baby being #2)

Offline macfoley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2014, 12:42:58 PM »

I'll shut up now.

I am a huge Tool fan. Seen them (and Puscifer & Perfect Circle) over 100 times. We've now gone 9 years without a new Tool album but they do tour every few years. So they give us our fix. And I agree with being able to consistently listen to their albums from start to finish and still being blown away. I just listened to Lateralus yesterday twice all the way through. And Aenima is number 1 on my all time fave albums list. (Achtung Baby being #2)

Any of Maynards bands hardly tour the UK (which is where I live) but have managed to catch a couple of Tool shows and a APC show in the past 10 years.

Lateralus is my favorite Tool album, infact it is probably my favorite album of all time. AB being a 2nd.

Yes so for the Tool fans, the wait has been a long time, so this is why I am not fussed when the next U2 record is out.

Offline THRILLHO

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2014, 12:56:08 PM »
honestly when they were on Fallon and nothing was said of a new album, i just gave up the emotional investment. it'll come out when it's out, that's good enough for me.