Author Topic: ...and I watch Bono's pedestal come crashing down upon me.  (Read 5128 times)

Offline The Mimsy

• Stateless
Re: ...and I watch Bono's pedestal come crashing down upon me.
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 11:59:29 AM »
She's put up with a lot from what I've heard. He's definitely not perfect, but who is? And she's managed to keep herself grounded throughout. The 18 year old stuff was just icky. Two old men and 2 young girls. The only thing missing in those pics was a van filled with candy.

Offline u2fanBarb...barely conscious

• Stateless
  • Hangin' by my thumbs...
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 10:36:49 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Do what I do.

ignore him until he sings.
Yep.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 06:52:31 PM »
She's put up with a lot from what I've heard. He's definitely not perfect, but who is? And she's managed to keep herself grounded throughout. The 18 year old stuff was just icky. Two old men and 2 young girls. The only thing missing in those pics was a van filled with candy.

I always liked the story from the NME circa 1995 where he woke up in a room full of prostitutes with a python across his chest.

Offline The Mimsy

• Stateless
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 07:58:19 PM »
Ha! I missed that one. I don't see the big deal if he has sampled outside of their marriage. I know a lot of rock solid couples where sexual infidelity has less of an impact than emotional infidelity.  He's clearly emotionally faithful to her and always will be. It's just sex. It's her he will always come home to and her who will always have his heart.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 08:42:24 PM »
agree, but try getting the 'moral majority' to share the view...

Offline The Mimsy

• Stateless
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 09:35:46 PM »
I know. Fans act like you slapped them if you start to suggest that he is not any different than 80% of the men on the planet. And the whole 18 year old girls party pic was just too much. If he's gonna do man stuff, do it with someone who isn't 35 years younger than you. Ew.

Offline Regina Filangie

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 09:37:15 AM »
I'm not shocked or offended by a rock star having some business on the side, it's the oldest cliche in the world.  The thing is, if you're going to be that way, I have a lot more respect for those who are open and honest about it.  Tom Jones is a perfect example of this.  He's been married forever and seems to truly love his wife, but he makes no secret of the fact that he takes full advantage of the rock star perks.  Roger Daltrey is another one that comes to mind.  I can't stand when someone pretends to be a devoted spouse for the public, but is altogether different behind closed doors.  This isn't directed specifically towards Bono/U2 and it's just my two cents.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 09:55:11 AM »
Ok, I'll say this... To me it all started with Bono putting on those ridiculous glasses all the time. It was a slow and negative process that lead him to where he is now.

I understand that Bono had to build a character in order to suffer the punches of criticism. He got a lot of bashing for being Jesus-Bono back in the late 80's. He had to make it stop. It was probably too much pressure on him.

But overall it is the sad tale of someone wearing a mask to protect himself, only to become the mask in the end. In so many ways, Bono has become the caricature for everything he despised as a young singer. But yet again, which successful rock star didn't ? I don't blame him. But If I am very mean... I can almost get a glimpse of McPhisto when I see Bono these days.

Edit : re-read my post and I don't want to give the wrong impression. I absolutely love and respect Bono. I'd love to have a beer with him, but... I'd also LOVE to see him get rid of the sunglasses, assume what he is now, an ageing man. One of the last times he appeared without anything on his nose is the "staring at the Sun" video. And I remember I thought he looked great with all those wrinkles...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 10:04:34 AM by soloyan »

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 08:17:56 PM »
Was cleaning out a heap of old newspaper stuff last weekend at my folks' place.

old U2 covers and NME's/Beat/In Press/Hotpress etc from the early 90s onwards.

Whilst the band's perception is that they 'got it wrong' with Pop and Popmart, it's clear from the album, show reviews and general coverage that they did not. The level of mainstream rejection (Bono hating, for example) was certainly not largely prominent until after this period. The 'objective' press in Australia and the UK, according to these old documents, was hugely positive and complimentary.

Anecdotally it seems to have turned - particularly in the UK and Australia - after Bono pinned his colours to the US so closely on the Elevation tour. I think now, with social media, it's just become so easy to reply to a U2 facebook post with 'Bono is sh**' or 'pay your taxes'.

They're definitely hated as well as loved but it doesn't seem to agree with the band's perception of Popmart. Around that time it was pretty positive. 2001 seems the major turning point.

Rise of the internet as a social tool, instant love and hatred, buzz bands and so forth all have contributed.

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 09:38:34 PM »
Hi Mimsy,

Just my two cents……look within yourself for inspiration.  You will always find it there.   :)  You have a kind soul.

None of us are in the situation of achieving a Noble Peace Prize.  But, we can make a difference.  For those who are right in front of us.  I understand what you have said in your post and I am not making fun of it.  Our cultures seem to be too focused on the "rich, famous."  As they are the only ones, who will change things.  It isn't true.  Change comes from within and because we honestly, care.

An act of kindness.  Can be giving a bag of gently used clothing.  Canned goods to a food bank.  These gifts come from the heart.  No interviews or I did this, will devalue the love you have shown for someone in need.  Feel good about wanting to help. 

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 10:21:34 PM »
Do what I do.

ignore him until he sings.

Exactly, what I did during the eighties.  "I am sick of the Irish in America……talking about the revolution.  F the revolution."  And who were these Irish Americans he spoke with?  If Bono would have done his homework.  He would have known that almost all of the Irish in America came prior to and because, of the Great Famine.   Not card carrying members of the IRA.  It's offensive to think otherwise.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:27:01 PM by Inishfree »

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2014, 11:51:25 AM »

LOL...the one pic with two girls was clearly staged.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2014, 11:52:45 AM »
I know. Fans act like you slapped them if you start to suggest that he is not any different than 80% of the men on the planet. 

People always love the know-it-all "but of course he's a cheater" attitude right ?

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2014, 08:13:53 PM »

I always liked the story from the NME circa 1995 where he woke up in a room full of prostitutes with a python across his chest.

This was also in a book called "Until the End of the World."   I have a copy of it.

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2014, 08:17:43 PM »

LOL...the one pic with two girls was clearly staged.

I think the photos in question were on one of the girls face book account.  Something, about not setting the privacy correct and the pics went out to thousands in New York, to those who would not normally receive it.  General information, I suppose.  I don't have FB.   If I remember correctly.  A British journalist found this and then it was reported first, in the British press.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 08:20:39 PM by Inishfree »