Author Topic: Bono says next album (SOE) will be experimental (ala Achtung Baby/Zooropa)  (Read 48699 times)

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
I'm digging the catchy melodies of SOI.  The personal nature of the lyrics (there are less cringe worthy ones than some on the past few albums) make SOI great. One of the criticisms of the album is that there is not enough Edge, it's just classic Edge guitar, and/or there's no 90s experimental Edge sound.

Dave Fanning brings this up in his recent interview (around the 20 minute mark) and even plays the intros to "Zoo Station" and "The Fly" to Bono and asks him about it and experimental production.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Bono seems a bit annoyed in his response.  First, he responds that this album is different and U2 has never before sounded like "The Troubles" for example.

However, my favorite quote is when Bono says, "Why is it not like Zoo Station? Why is not like Zooropa? It is not an experimental album.  It's an album of songs.  That's what we want. We do what we want.  Our last album was full of experimentation. This is a different kind of experimentation...it is as easy for me to blow your mind sonically...set off fireworks sonically. U2 can do that all day. We did it in the 90s. We did it our last album a bit. WE'LL DO IT ON THE NEXT ALBUM EVEN MORE.  But this is about songs. They are very difficult."

I'm excited for Songs of Experience.  If the band can have great tunes with catchy melodies, heartfelt/personal lyrics, AND the experimental sonic sounds of the 90s, I'd be a very happy listener.

Your thoughts?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 06:25:00 PM by andrewau2 »

Offline TheEnd

• Refugee
Re: Bono says next album (SOE) will be experimental (ala Achtung Baby/Zooropa)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 08:19:25 AM »
Yeah, I loved that quote. I referred to it in another thread but I forgot if he said more of it on the next album or even more on the next album.

Hope they can get it out before they change their minds and it all goes to hell!

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 08:21:18 AM »
I can totally see why Bono was pi**ed off. I will completely agree that Achtung Baby and the Joshua Tree are the band's best works, but as a band and as songwriters I would argue that they are better now than back then. I think that is the underlying point he is trying to make.

Offline wraitii

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 08:22:59 AM »
Fireworks in the 90's. You know, he could be thinking of Pop. They've played Staring live again, Discothèque appeared on the late 360. And Sleep like a Baby Tonight kinda feels like North and South of the River.
And obviously the lyrical theme.

lucas.homem

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 08:24:16 AM »
I'm not sure, but I'm pretty open to put SOE in my life.

Offline U2 Fan of the 90s

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 09:01:51 AM »
I'm digging the catchy melodies of SOI.  The personal nature of the lyrics (there are less cringe worthy ones than some on the past few albums) make SOI great. One of the criticisms of the album is that there is not enough Edge, it's just classic Edge guitar, and/or there's no 90s experimental Edge sound.

Dave Fanning brings this up in his recent interview (around the 20 minute mark) and even plays the intrdos to "Zoo Station" and "The Fly" to Bono and asks him about it and experimental production.

Bono seems a bit annoyed in his response.  First, he responds that this album is different and U2 has never before sounded like "The Troubles" for example.

However, my favorite quote is when Bono says, "Why is it not like Zoo Station? Why is not like Zooropa? It is not an experimental album.  It's an album of songs.  That's what we want. We do what we want.  Our last album was full of experimentation. This is a different kind of experimentation...it is as easy for me to blow your mind sonically...set off fireworks sonically. U2 can do that all day. We did it in the 90s. We did it our last album a bit. WE'LL DO IT ON THE NEXT ALBUM EVEN MORE.  But this is about songs. They are very difficult."

I'm excited for Songs of Experience.  If the band can have great tunes with catchy melodies, heartfelt/personal lyrics, AND the experimental sonic sounds of the 90s, I'd be a very happy listener.

Your thoughts?

Best news I've ever seen... Fanning did a great job asking the questions and bono knows that SOI is not challenging from a musically perspective... It's pretty much straight forward and he knows it... But of their straight forward work (2000-present) this is their best... NLOTH suffers from bad lyrically concepts and cold feet with experimentation... Per eno, all the experiments were left off that record.

SOI is very good and what it is... Some of the songs are cheesy but some are amazing. Now we know that they know that they need to challenge us angin on SOE... And frankly the 2 albums will sound great as a concept.. SOI as youthful passion to write simple songs with good stories... And then grown men writing more complex songs with more serious subject matters... I think Troubles being the closer to SOI is a harbinger for sounds/themes to come on SOE... it's no accident that it closes the album.

Offline goldtoad

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 09:15:45 AM »

Dave Fanning brings this up in his recent interview (around the 20 minute mark) and even plays the intrdos to "Zoo Station" and "The Fly" to Bono and asks him about it and experimental production.

Your thoughts?

Best news I've ever seen... Fanning did a great job asking the questions and bono knows that SOI is not challenging from a musically perspective... It's pretty much straight forward and he knows it... But of their straight forward work (2000-present) this is their best... NLOTH suffers from bad lyrically concepts and cold feet with experimentation... Per eno, all the experiments were left off that record.

SOI is very good and what it is... Some of the songs are cheesy but some are amazing. Now we know that they know that they need to challenge us angin on SOE... And frankly the 2 albums will sound great as a concept.. SOI as youthful passion to write simple songs with good stories... And then grown men writing more complex songs with more serious subject matters... I think Troubles being the closer to SOI is a harbinger for sounds/themes to come on SOE... it's no accident that it closes the album.

Right on.... I am really looking forward to SOE.  I think it will be released next year so they can use the songs in the second half of the tour. 

Offline Ln X

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 09:55:45 AM »

Hell yeah! The U2 of the 90s are back. They seem to have comfortably taking all the flak about the SOI's promotion with Apple and seem rather content at doing their own thing. More importantly they are revisiting old territory and expanding upon it which is great because there is so much to explore, and U2 -- up to now -- have never really done that before.

A very exciting time to be a U2 fan I'd say!

lucas.homem

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 10:02:39 AM »
I think we underestimate a little the difficulty of composing simples tunes as well as the band overestimates a little their achievements.

Yes, this is statement sounds pretty arrogant hahahaha, but composing simple music is really demanding for the composer despite the complexity being overshadowed by the plainness in which the songs flow. It is true that simple tunes don't challenge the listener, but still they have a lot in it.

I just don't believe the band reached that greatness yet. But I'm happy they're in this path going all Beatles. It'll be memorable if they reach that greatness in this domain too. Arguably, U2 will be the best rock band of all times.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 10:07:59 AM by lucas.homem »

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 10:09:53 AM »

Hell yeah! The U2 of the 90s are back. They seem to have comfortably taking all the flak about the SOI's promotion with Apple and seem rather content at doing their own thing. More importantly they are revisiting old territory and expanding upon it which is great because there is so much to explore, and U2 -- up to now -- have never really done that before.

A very exciting time to be a U2 fan I'd say!

Agreed!

I think I'm more optimistic right now about their future than ever before. There isn't any second guessing coming from them right now, it seems like they are finally just doing what they want to do.

Songs of Experience is going to be awesome if its similar in vein to "Sleep Like a Baby Tonight" or "The Troubles."

Offline Ln X

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 11:24:42 AM »
Songs of Experience is going to be awesome if its similar in vein to "Sleep Like a Baby Tonight" or "The Troubles."

+1

If SOE is in the same vein as SLABT and Troubles then its going to be great.

Offline Messenger

• Numb
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 11:35:50 AM »
I mentioned this is the other thread. It was my favourite and most welcomed comment in the whole interview.

But we should all remember, it's a good idea to exercise restraint when taking things Bono says about the future as being set in stone.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 11:36:12 AM »
I don't buy it. Bono was speaking defensively, not making some kind of announcement. Sure, maybe there will be a weirder track like SLABT, but at this point, I don't think there's much chance for "experimentation". And if NLOTH was an example of what kind of experimentation they're capable of these days...no thanks.

Enjoy the album for what it is. Don't expect they're going to release another Zooropa to mitigate what you find lacking in SOI.

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 12:33:46 PM »
Agreed it was a defensive remark.

lucas.homem

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 12:43:37 PM »
I don't buy it. Bono was speaking defensively, not making some kind of announcement. Sure, maybe there will be a weirder track like SLABT, but at this point, I don't think there's much chance for "experimentation". And if NLOTH was an example of what kind of experimentation they're capable of these days...no thanks.

Enjoy the album for what it is. Don't expect they're going to release another Zooropa to mitigate what you find lacking in SOI.

I don't think they'll try something really experimental or esoteric. I just believe they'll release The Edge from the cage yet keeping the "song format".