Author Topic: Bono says next album (SOE) will be experimental (ala Achtung Baby/Zooropa)  (Read 41435 times)

Edgedisciple

Re: Bono says next album (SOE) will be experimental (ala Achtung Baby/Zooropa)
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 01:53:53 PM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't buy it. Bono was speaking defensively, not making some kind of announcement. Sure, maybe there will be a weirder track like SLABT, but at this point, I don't think there's much chance for "experimentation". And if NLOTH was an example of what kind of experimentation they're capable of these days...no thanks.

Enjoy the album for what it is. Don't expect they're going to release another Zooropa to mitigate what you find lacking in SOI.

I don't think they'll try something really experimental or esoteric. I just believe they'll release The Edge from the cage yet keeping the "song format".
LMAO. Seriously I'd die to hear an unleashed Edge a la Pop one last time.

Offline Allie79

• Numb
  • Mild, green and squeaky clean
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 03:10:09 PM »
Gotta love Bono "It's easy for me to blow your mind sonically, that's what we do for breakfast; play with the desk and set off fireworks sonically. U2 can do that all day" later "Who can write songs like this, I want to know that. I want to meet the person who can write songs as good as this. Guess what, I probably know them, there's probably only four peope."

lucas.homem

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 03:12:27 PM »
Gotta love Bono "It's easy for me to blow your mind sonically, that's what we do for breakfast; play with the desk and set off fireworks sonically. U2 can do that all day" later "Who can write songs like this, I want to know that. I want to meet the person who can write songs as good as this. Guess what, I probably know them, there's probably only four peope."

Hahahahaha.

Here he was really prepotent. I mean... REALLY!

Offline Pocket Merlin

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2014, 03:16:21 PM »

Ha ha, this was probably the first time I actually found myself agreeing somewhat with all the people who claim he's too egotistical.

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2014, 03:25:36 PM »

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 04:20:57 PM »
I'd love to see the Edge as full producer of SOE.

Offline crank

• Stateless
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 05:35:44 PM »

NO way, if that happens, nothing would ever get done. It'd take FOREVER.

Offline Airuarak

• Wanderer
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 06:33:04 PM »
I'm laughing... new album out... Bono promises a follow up album the same day... then says it's experimental at the degree Zooropa was... the band must be pulling their hair out as the cycle of expectation has begun again!

Offline Boom Cha!

• Acrobat
  • This is a low flying panic attack
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 07:22:39 PM »
I'll believe it when I hear it.

Offline The Exile

• Elevated
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 08:10:57 PM »

I don't think this situation is at all analogous to the SOA debacle after NLOTH. In that case, the other members of the band barely even realized a couple years later that Bono was even talking about the project (as evidenced by Larry's classic reaction to Sway when asked about it in an interview).

With SOE, the announcement was made officially on the band's website, and the other members are not only aware of it but are talking about it freely in interviews.

The question is when, not if, in my opinion (which is right).

Offline andrewau2

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 08:41:46 PM »

I don't think this situation is at all analogous to the SOA debacle after NLOTH. In that case, the other members of the band barely even realized a couple years later that Bono was even talking about the project (as evidenced by Larry's classic reaction to Sway when asked about it in an interview).

With SOE, the announcement was made officially on the band's website, and the other members are not only aware of it but are talking about it freely in interviews.

Good point.  Plus I remember hearing somewhere that SOE may be released in conjunction with "Apple's all immersing video/lyrics/pics/music listening new technology that's supposedly not pirate-able but can track every listen so artists can get paid" in 18 months and they have at least 6 tracks already finished for SOE. 

Time will tell.

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 08:45:16 PM »

NO way, if that happens, nothing would ever get done. It'd take FOREVER.
The last time Edge had a production credit on an album was Zooropa, the quickest album release in their history. Not saying that would necessarily happen now, however.

Offline Boom Cha!

• Acrobat
  • This is a low flying panic attack
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2014, 12:09:50 AM »

You make a good point, but I was referring to SOE being as "experimental" as their '90s material. I'm not really sure what the band considers "experimental" when Bono says that NLOTH was. I actually think that SOI gave us different sounds and ideas from the band more than NLOTH did.

Offline Zaphod

• Stateless
  • Dances with wolves
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2014, 01:49:19 AM »

You make a good point, but I was referring to SOE being as "experimental" as their '90s material. I'm not really sure what the band considers "experimental" when Bono says that NLOTH was. I actually think that SOI gave us different sounds and ideas from the band more than NLOTH did.

I second that! The decision to work with producers like DangerMouse has brought them a whole different soundscope. I think many people are mixing the word expirimental with 'style-breaking'.

Offline AchtU2g

• Stateless
  • Hold onto something so tight, u've already lost it
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2014, 06:47:34 AM »
Cloth-eared critics!!! Ahahahaha!