Author Topic: Bono says next album (SOE) will be experimental (ala Achtung Baby/Zooropa)  (Read 46549 times)

Offline mc

• Stateless
I think it will be a Songs of Experience/Songs of Ascent double album

Offline rubbersoul

• Running to Stand Still
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think it will be a Songs of Experience/Songs of Ascent double album

it's now or never

Offline redapple129

• Babyface
Can't shake the feeling that the reaction to whatever of their music is on Kendrick's next album is going to lead to them scrapping what they've got and tacking their sail to that wind. (Not that I would necessarily mind them exploring some parts of contemporary hip-hop. Would certainly be an experiment.)

Offline pdk

• Headache in a Suitcase
If history relating to the few other bands has that have lasted this long is a teacher: SOE will be more of the same.

I love "The Stones" but they haven't reinvented in decades.  That said, I love their albums old and not as old.  Their latest is innovative in that it's their first album composed of blues standards done faithfully to the style. It is a fantastic album actually.

I'd love to see what U2 could do to the songs that inspired them. Not songs they thought would sell but the music they actually and truly were inspired by. 

Offline lucas.homem

• Party Girl/Boy
Can't shake the feeling that the reaction to whatever of their music is on Kendrick's next album is going to lead to them scrapping what they've got and tacking their sail to that wind. (Not that I would necessarily mind them exploring some parts of contemporary hip-hop. Would certainly be an experiment.)

That's indeed a possibility, but I think they will follow the Ryan Tedder route. They brought the guy back even after the SOI failure (in public's opinion), so they like the man.

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase

One can only wish - they should after all take heed of the praise they have received from this collaboration. Just further proof that to be relevant you have to be good.

As opposed to the idea that to be relevant is to be popular, which leads you to Ryan Tedder. And then things start to go wrong.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P

One can only wish - they should after all take heed of the praise they have received from this collaboration. Just further proof that to be relevant you have to be good.

As opposed to the idea that to be relevant is to be popular, which leads you to Ryan Tedder. And then things start to go wrong.
Tedder leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
Had a dream last night I listened to the new SoE. It sounded incredible, lots of piano, very ambient, atmospheric, sonically interesting. Goddamn I wish I had musical talent, it's still in my head and I could write the songs and melodies right now. SoE sounded like a mix between October and Zooropa. :o

Edge was on fire... and so was my bed!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 08:46:32 PM by The Edges Cat »

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
Had a dream last night I listened to the new SoE. It sounded incredible, lots of piano, very ambient, atmospheric, sonically interesting. Goddamn I wish I had musical talent, it's still in my head and I could write the songs and melodies right now. SoE sounded like a mix between October and Zooropa. :o

Ha! Had the same feeling about Passengers and Pop. But a mix between October and Zooropa........ that sounds interesting to say the least.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose

Ha! Had the same feeling about Passengers and Pop. But a mix between October and Zooropa........ that sounds interesting to say the least.

Yeah, October meets Zooropa... that's something I wouldn't have thought possible! I can still hear the songs in my head, especially one piano riff. In my dream, there were other fans with me but I wasn't allowed to let them hear anything, but I broke my promise and let one girl listen with me to a song with a female vocalist. I think that's probably the snippet of an SoE song we heard earlier this year.

Strange how the subconscious works.

Offline Spaderholic

• Intellectual Tortoise
I just hope and pray that SOE won't be full of 'featuring Nicki Minaj' 'featuring Kanye and Kim', 'featuring Iggy Azalea & Justin Bieber', etc, etc! My worst nightmare, lol! A Bono & Miley Cyrus duet with the two of them twerking in the accompanying video, just imagine that!

Offline OnlyU2

• Airborne Ranger
I just hope and pray that SOE won't be full of 'featuring Nicki Minaj' 'featuring Kanye and Kim', 'featuring Iggy Azalea & Justin Bieber', etc, etc! My worst nightmare, lol! A Bono & Miley Cyrus duet with the two of them twerking in the accompanying video, just imagine that!

Oh God what a thought! LOL.  No, I hope SOE doesn't feature anyone. 

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Refugee
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang

I'd be down with "featuring Kendrick Lamar" having just heard their recent collab. 

Offline Vox

• Numb
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.

I'd be down with "featuring Kendrick Lamar" having just heard their recent collab. 

I'm a Kendrick Lamar fan, insomuch as I own three of his albums.  I'm a U2 megafan, insomuch as I've been that way since I was a teenager in the 80's.  I really like the song "XXX" on the Kendrick Lamar album.

That being said, I don't think I want to hear Kendrick Lamar on a U2 album.  I'm afraid of what that might sound like. 

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Refugee
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang

I'm a Kendrick Lamar fan, insomuch as I own three of his albums.  I'm a U2 megafan, insomuch as I've been that way since I was a teenager in the 80's.  I really like the song "XXX" on the Kendrick Lamar album.

That being said, I don't think I want to hear Kendrick Lamar on a U2 album.  I'm afraid of what that might sound like.

Especially given his recent features. . . . Taylor Swift. . . . Maroon 5. . . .  Might be best not to put U2 on that list.