Author Topic: Bono says next album (SOE) will be experimental (ala Achtung Baby/Zooropa)  (Read 61561 times)

monopoly

Re: Bono says next album (SOE) will be experimental (ala Achtung Baby/Zooropa)
« Reply #345 on: September 07, 2017, 12:21:31 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So based on the 3/11ths of the album we have heard (i.e. The Best Thing, The Blackout, and The Little Things That Give You Away), would you say Bono was accurate in that SOE is experimental like Achtung Baby & Zooropa?

Or is this a continuation of their post-1990s sound of the last 4 albums?

Nothing about the three songs is experimental whatsoever. All three songs sound like they could either be on, or be a B-Side to any single from the last 4 albums.

There's only 11 songs? I thought it was 12.

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #346 on: September 07, 2017, 01:43:33 AM »
I preferred the days when a single would be released just before an album. I would still be digesting the single before 10 or 11 new songs would come out.

Can't see the point of releasing 3 songs months before the album. It's not as if they need to create pre release publicity. They are U2.

Are they going to release more songs off the album after it's release, to keep sales going ? Not much need to buy the album.

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #347 on: September 07, 2017, 01:49:20 AM »
In response to the thread question. The 3 released songs are not experimental. But I wasn't expecting that. By now everyone should be sceptical of Bono's pre release claims.

SOE not being experimental is not a problem to me. If it is as good as SOI, that would be good enough. Espescially after a shorter wait.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #348 on: September 08, 2017, 04:08:37 PM »
In response to the thread question. The 3 released songs are not experimental. But I wasn't expecting that. By now everyone should be sceptical of Bono's pre release claims.

SOE not being experimental is not a problem to me. If it is as good as SOI, that would be good enough. Espescially after a shorter wait.

In terms of production the new single is "experimental" in that it sounds like nothing they've done before.   Sure loads of other artists have made poppy synth-heavy records like this, but I think it is new territory for U2.  People are saying Windows in the Sky and Sweetest Things are similar but for me both songs are essentially rock songs with a pop sheen, whilst Best Thing is pure pop.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #349 on: December 10, 2017, 08:43:52 PM »

In terms of production the new single is "experimental" in that it sounds like nothing they've done before.   Sure loads of other artists have made poppy synth-heavy records like this, but I think it is new territory for U2.  People are saying Windows in the Sky and Sweetest Things are similar but for me both songs are essentially rock songs with a pop sheen, whilst Best Thing is pure pop.

Interesting way to put it.  While I was hoping for more guitar heavy songs with the effects of the 90s, what we got with SOE is the band being successful at making pop songs.  They've been trying since 2000's ATYCLB at having these little catchy ditties and now their dream is fully realized.

Edge recently said, "we don't want to be a veteran act out of touch with the culture" and... "We need to make sure, as we always have done, that we are part of a current conversation that's going in music culture in terms of production, songwriting, melodic structure, all the things that keep the culture moving forward."

source: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The Edge is the main force behind their music, so I'm (ignoring Bono) and hearing the Edge loud and clear saying they will continue to make pop music and they will "experiment" in the sense that they will try to make their sound whatever is currently popular and mainstream. 

Right now that means no more guitar-prominent rock or 90s' experimental sounds.

Offline iced

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • You don't see me but you will..I am not invisible.
« Reply #350 on: December 11, 2017, 05:18:04 AM »
Edge recently said, "we don't want to be a veteran act out of touch with the culture" and... "We need to make sure, as we always have done, that we are part of a current conversation that's going in music culture in terms of production, songwriting, melodic structure, all the things that keep the culture moving forward."

This sounds like someone who takes himself too seriously or surrounds themself with so-called serious thinking people.

Which is exactly what brought about "Achtung Baby".

That was a terrible quote from Edge.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:19:46 AM by iced »