Author Topic: Bono says next album (SOE) will be experimental (ala Achtung Baby/Zooropa)  (Read 41436 times)

jimothy17

Re: Bono says next album (SOE) will be experimental (ala Achtung Baby/Zooropa)
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2014, 01:22:54 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I reeeaaally wish people would stop with The Beatles comparisons.  God love 'em, but they are irrelevant now.  I know shoot me, but it's time to move on.  ALOT of Beatles songs are boring and self-admittedly noodling.
...."facepalm"

Offline DEX

• Refugee
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2014, 06:51:54 AM »
If 2015 will be the last Live world tour, then I hope the SOE album will be released so we can hear the songs live?

Offline DEX

• Refugee
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2014, 06:53:52 AM »
I've never seen Larry look so miserable. I reckon he is fed up and done.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2014, 07:57:37 AM »
Another example of people over-thinking . . . . . . .
miami:
Great post, but you could have stopped right there.  What would all these people do with their time if there wasn't an album to over-analyze?  Yeah, I know, they would over-analyze everything else about U2.  The same thing used to happen at the official Smashing Pumpkins forum.  Then, all of a sudden it stopped.  Why?  Because the forum was removed by the band or someone who works for them.  What are all those Smashing Pumpkins fans doing with all that free time?

Over thinking has nothing to do with it.  It's listening to the album and discussing it--ostensibly with others who might be interested in doing the same.  If you don't hear anything amiss with the album, that's great.

Offline Achtung_Baby_Lover

• Babyface
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2014, 12:09:02 PM »
miami:
Great post, but you could have stopped right there.  What would all these people do with their time if there wasn't an album to over-analyze?  Yeah, I know, they would over-analyze everything else about U2.  The same thing used to happen at the official Smashing Pumpkins forum.  Then, all of a sudden it stopped.  Why?  Because the forum was removed by the band or someone who works for them.  What are all those Smashing Pumpkins fans doing with all that free time?

Over thinking has nothing to do with it.  It's listening to the album and discussing it--ostensibly with others who might be interested in doing the same.  If you don't hear anything amiss with the album, that's great.

Agree - that's the point of the forum - a place for in=depth discussion.

And the point of this thread was discussing Bono's comments on SOI as being a songwriter's album, vs a more sonically adventurous album ala Achtung Baby - and his description of the SOE follow up as being more in line with that type of output.

My mention of the Beatles, to address a few of the other comments, was in direct response to Bono's claim that these SOI are 'eternal' songs, songs to be played and busked til the sun falls into the sea, essentially. And I would argue the Beatles (not everything by them, but clearly many of their songs) are widely regarded as being transcendent of their time and place in musical history and most likely the standard that Bono himself is comparing to. (Among the 'only 4 people in the world' that can write songs like that.

Some people play fantasy football, I like to think about U2 and jump on these forums from time to time and discuss ;)

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2014, 12:38:51 PM »
miami:

I don't think it's a perfect album, it's a good one and one of the better ones in their canon. But the idea of Bono DM and the edge 'cutting and pasting' is hilarious. 'Edge, do you remember that wee diddy you played on the guitar last week, paste it on to the end of cedarwood wood, see if it works, sure they're in the same key aren't they? Wow, that sounds great, see if we can dig out that bassline Adam played a fortnight ago, that might go well with the guitar part in RBW. Actually, see everything we have stored on the computer, why don't we just hit shuffle and see what comes out'.

My point is, making a coherent song by that method would be very difficult. You might argue lady with a spinning head spawned 3 songs by cutting and pasting, and you'd be right, so I've just contradicted myself mid-flow. Oops. They were great songs though, so maybe cutting and pasting is ok then.  ;)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2014, 01:12:06 PM »
miami:

I don't think it's a perfect album, it's a good one and one of the better ones in their canon. But the idea of Bono DM and the edge 'cutting and pasting' is hilarious. 'Edge, do you remember that wee diddy you played on the guitar last week, paste it on to the end of cedarwood wood, see if it works, sure they're in the same key aren't they? Wow, that sounds great, see if we can dig out that bassline Adam played a fortnight ago, that might go well with the guitar part in RBW. Actually, see everything we have stored on the computer, why don't we just hit shuffle and see what comes out'.

My point is, making a coherent song by that method would be very difficult. You might argue lady with a spinning head spawned 3 songs by cutting and pasting, and you'd be right, so I've just contradicted myself mid-flow. Oops. They were great songs though, so maybe cutting and pasting is ok then.  ;)

I think people are getting hung up on the phrase "cutting and pasting".  First of all, it's not difficult at all to construct a song using that method.  Anyone with Garageband can (and likely does) do it.  It doesn't require remembering some part that was done weeks ago, although it certainly could involve that.  Instead, if you record a single part of a song--say, a guitar line during the first verse--and you know that the rest of the verses will need the same basic guitar part, you can--literally--copy and paste the first performance where you need it for the other verses.  The problem with that is the song may start to feel too mechanical or "produced", because things start sounding the same.  You miss the little nuances that make each part different, and hence more "human" sounding.  To some degree, any artist can do this, and you might not always notice.  But--I won't speak for anyone else--the cumulative effect of how SOI is produced, at times, sounds like this to me.  Things that sound TOO clean and perfect stop sounding organic and human, and start sounding "produced".  Achtung Baby, for sure, is very much "produced", but it still has an organic quality to me.

That's my take.  Like I said, if you don't notice anything wrong, then that's great.  It might not be anything anyone else notices.  And as I've noted, I DO like the album over all.  This is just one issue I have with it.

• Babyface
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2014, 01:16:36 PM »
miami:

I see what you are saying about the term 'cut-and-paste' and I don't necessarily mean it to the extent of which you are giving example. Perhaps it is more accurate for me to say, some of the songs leave me more with a sense of 'that was a cool bunch of parts', instead of inviting me in and wrapping around me in the same way that many of their songs have in the past, from '11 O'Clock Tic-Toc' through New Year's Day, MLK, WOWY, Streets, ALL I Want Is You, the entirety of AB, almost the entirety of Zooropa, much of Pop, and several songs from ATYCLB and Atomic Bomb. Maybe they will once I've had a chance to hear the forthcoming acoustic versions. :)

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2014, 01:18:27 PM »
^

Fair enough, I get where both of you are coming from. Modern technology in music can be seen in a good and bad light. Wasn't it Larry that said they had almost too many mixes to choose from?

Overall, I think they chose well.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:19:59 PM by miami »

• Babyface
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2014, 01:19:45 PM »
miami:

I think people are getting hung up on the phrase "cutting and pasting".  First of all, it's not difficult at all to construct a song using that method.  Anyone with Garageband can (and likely does) do it.  It doesn't require remembering some part that was done weeks ago, although it certainly could involve that.  Instead, if you record a single part of a song--say, a guitar line during the first verse--and you know that the rest of the verses will need the same basic guitar part, you can--literally--copy and paste the first performance where you need it for the other verses.  The problem with that is the song may start to feel too mechanical or "produced", because things start sounding the same.  You miss the little nuances that make each part different, and hence more "human" sounding.  To some degree, any artist can do this, and you might not always notice.  But--I won't speak for anyone else--the cumulative effect of how SOI is produced, at times, sounds like this to me.  Things that sound TOO clean and perfect stop sounding organic and human, and start sounding "produced".  Achtung Baby, for sure, is very much "produced", but it still has an organic quality to me.

That's my take.  Like I said, if you don't notice anything wrong, then that's great.  It might not be anything anyone else notices.  And as I've noted, I DO like the album over all.  This is just one issue I have with it.

Ahh, I do think you may be on to something there, in that there is a more mechanical sound overall vs the organic sound on AB.

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2014, 01:22:28 PM »
I really can't wait to hear what they did with these songs acoustically.

• Babyface
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2014, 01:25:12 PM »
^

Fair enough, I get where both of you are coming from. Modern technology in music can be seen in a good and bad light. Wasn't it Larry that said they had almost too many mixes to choose from?

Yes, well for me it's not the modern technology per se...For example, Please is one of my favorite U2 songs of all time and would love to hear an album with a lot of songs based around that vibe. And there's drum loops and keyboard strings and multi tracked voices there, but there's just something about the way it wraps around you...or Velvet Dress, that's got some crazy stuff going on, or let's say a song like Lemon, totally weird and strange parts, yet for me it just hooks me and sucks me into the song, and the whole album sucks me in, in a way that this doesn't. I'm not saying that it's bad in fact the album is quite good and I think very creative, I'm just not responding to it in the way Bono mean it to be. :)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2014, 01:37:45 PM »

Ahh, I do think you may be on to something there, in that there is a more mechanical sound overall vs the organic sound on AB.

Yeah.  Again, I have no way to really know.  But it would be extremely easy for the producer to get Edge to play one phrase, then process, massage, EQ, and polish up that one phrase, and then (all together now) copy and paste it where it's needed.  It's at least what it feels like to me.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2014, 01:40:44 PM »
^

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIAMI!

Hope it's a great one!

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2014, 02:00:24 PM »
^

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIAMI!

Hope it's a great one!

Thanks a lot, just learned today I share the same birthday as Springsteen. Gonna celebrate it at the weekend. Then it's the big one next year. Cheers mdmomof7!