Author Topic: Bono says next album (SOE) will be experimental (ala Achtung Baby/Zooropa)  (Read 52549 times)

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
Re: Bono says next album (SOE) will be experimental (ala Achtung Baby/Zooropa)
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2014, 02:27:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
^

Fair enough, I get where both of you are coming from. Modern technology in music can be seen in a good and bad light. Wasn't it Larry that said they had almost too many mixes to choose from?

Overall, I think they chose well.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIAMI!

Hope it's a great one!

Thanks a lot, just learned today I share the same birthday as Springsteen. Gonna celebrate it at the weekend. Then it's the big one next year. Cheers mdmomof7!

Springsteen and our own m2 :)

Quite nice! Enjoy!! :)

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2014, 02:30:22 PM »
 Yeah, have a good one m2.  :)

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2014, 02:54:59 PM »
Have a great year, Miami!

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2014, 03:30:26 PM »
^
Cheers sat dog. I'll try!

Offline basstrap

• Babyface
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2014, 03:32:08 PM »
I'm digging the catchy melodies of SOI.  The personal nature of the lyrics (there are less cringe worthy ones than some on the past few albums) make SOI great. One of the criticisms of the album is that there is not enough Edge, it's just classic Edge guitar, and/or there's no 90s experimental Edge sound.

Dave Fanning brings this up in his recent interview (around the 20 minute mark) and even plays the intros to "Zoo Station" and "The Fly" to Bono and asks him about it and experimental production.

Bono seems a bit annoyed in his response.  First, he responds that this album is different and U2 has never before sounded like "The Troubles" for example.

However, my favorite quote is when Bono says, "Why is it not like Zoo Station? Why is not like Zooropa? It is not an experimental album.  It's an album of songs.  That's what we want. We do what we want.  Our last album was full of experimentation. This is a different kind of experimentation...it is as easy for me to blow your mind sonically...set off fireworks sonically. U2 can do that all day. We did it in the 90s. We did it our last album a bit. WE'LL DO IT ON THE NEXT ALBUM EVEN MORE.  But this is about songs. They are very difficult."

I'm excited for Songs of Experience.  If the band can have great tunes with catchy melodies, heartfelt/personal lyrics, AND the experimental sonic sounds of the 90s, I'd be a very happy listener.

Your thoughts?

I'm sick of all the B.S. about "experimentation" or how this sounds like the last few albums or does not sound like the 90s etc. This is U2. EVERY album is an experimentation. If the melody is too sweet for you, then go listen to that dark indie band you love or Radiohead. This is U2 and they have NEVER been like any of those grossly overrated indie bands especially radiohead.

Offline basstrap

• Babyface
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2014, 03:36:07 PM »
If 2015 will be the last Live world tour, then I hope the SOE album will be released so we can hear the songs live?

The last live world tour by U2 is probably at least 20 years away. 2015 might be the last time you will see the Rolling Stones (and I'm not sure of that either), but definitely not U2.

Offline atts_bb3

• Babyface
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2014, 06:01:14 PM »
Cut and paste to you might mean something else to me, can songs not ebb and flow or do they have to be one dimensional bore-fests all the time like wonderwall? ie; are you saying EVERY song must be as easily played as wonderwall?If so, I'd rather have (cut and paste) songs like miracle, zooropa and discotheque over wonderwall and 'one' any day of the week.For the record, which tunes on the album do you consider cut and paste?
Cut and paste records, I agree, are often marvelous. Rarely, a song like Bohemian Rhapsody, Subterranean Homesick Alien or Abbey Road stitches short songs together into a mind bender of bridges and segues. That said, This Is Where You Can Reach Me strikes me as a Frankenstein monster, and all over the map. Reminds me of NLOTh Fez intro to me, seagulls on a Clash/Strummer tribute? I want a tribute or homage to work on its own, and so that those who don't know the literary inspiration can still appreciate the song.  Maybe it'll grow on me, or I'll understand it one day. 

Radiohead have had their clunkers and some great records and phenomenal shows. No need to trash them .
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 06:04:00 PM by atts_bb3 »

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2014, 06:09:34 PM »
I'll just place/share a random note...
Through the walls of our paper thin overpriced house, I can hear our 11 yo daughter Meghan singing Wolves in the bathtub. Every word, spot on. Fun. :)

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2014, 09:39:18 PM »
Cut and paste to you might mean something else to me, can songs not ebb and flow or do they have to be one dimensional bore-fests all the time like wonderwall? ie; are you saying EVERY song must be as easily played as wonderwall?If so, I'd rather have (cut and paste) songs like miracle, zooropa and discotheque over wonderwall and 'one' any day of the week.For the record, which tunes on the album do you consider cut and paste?
Cut and paste records, I agree, are often marvelous. Rarely, a song like Bohemian Rhapsody, Subterranean Homesick Alien or Abbey Road stitches short songs together into a mind bender of bridges and segues. That said, This Is Where You Can Reach Me strikes me as a Frankenstein monster, and all over the map. Reminds me of NLOTh Fez intro to me, seagulls on a Clash/Strummer tribute? I want a tribute or homage to work on its own, and so that those who don't know the literary inspiration can still appreciate the song.  Maybe it'll grow on me, or I'll understand it one day. 

Radiohead have had their clunkers and some great records and phenomenal shows. No need to trash them .

It reminds me of the Gloria video, on the water in their hometown, still new to it all...

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2014, 11:10:09 PM »
I'm digging the catchy melodies of SOI.  The personal nature of the lyrics (there are less cringe worthy ones than some on the past few albums) make SOI great. One of the criticisms of the album is that there is not enough Edge, it's just classic Edge guitar, and/or there's no 90s experimental Edge sound.

Dave Fanning brings this up in his recent interview (around the 20 minute mark) and even plays the intros to "Zoo Station" and "The Fly" to Bono and asks him about it and experimental production.

Bono seems a bit annoyed in his response.  First, he responds that this album is different and U2 has never before sounded like "The Troubles" for example.

However, my favorite quote is when Bono says, "Why is it not like Zoo Station? Why is not like Zooropa? It is not an experimental album.  It's an album of songs.  That's what we want. We do what we want.  Our last album was full of experimentation. This is a different kind of experimentation...it is as easy for me to blow your mind sonically...set off fireworks sonically. U2 can do that all day. We did it in the 90s. We did it our last album a bit. WE'LL DO IT ON THE NEXT ALBUM EVEN MORE.

Oh, really?  Well, all I have to say about that is this - Bono, blow my mind. I DARE YOU!

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2014, 11:28:14 PM »

However, my favorite quote is when Bono says, "Why is it not like Zoo Station? Why is not like Zooropa? It is not an experimental album.  It's an album of songs.  That's what we want. We do what we want.  Our last album was full of experimentation. This is a different kind of experimentation...it is as easy for me to blow your mind sonically...set off fireworks sonically. U2 can do that all day. We did it in the 90s. We did it our last album a bit. WE'LL DO IT ON THE NEXT ALBUM EVEN MORE.

Oh, really?  Well, all I have to say about that is this - Bono, blow my mind. I DARE YOU!
   ;)

I love his attitude these days!  8)  :-*

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2014, 01:22:32 AM »
To be frank: hi, folks. I'm Frank... I think his remark about SOE being more experimental came over as a quick save to get over the subject. It sounded like usual Bono.

Offline Flying_Leg_Kick

• Stateless
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2014, 08:09:58 AM »
Maybe I've taken one too many to the head, but is SoI actually what SoA was going to be, meaning it's NLOTH material that didn't make it onto the album plus some of the tour stuff?  And is SoE going to be some of the other leftovers?  It seemed to me that SoI went from being a teaser to being the actual album, and SoE is now in the SoA-lane shortly after NLOTH dropped.

SoI kind of comes off like a teaser or throwaway album, albeit a refreshing one (and free), but if SoE is more from that whole collection of work, I'm kind of with the others not holding my breath or expecting the return of the avant-garde days of the mid-90's.  Unless they're holding something back like "we've got Eno, Flood, Howie, Steve, and Danger Mouse all going at it to clean it up," I doubt they have it in them.  If they thought NLOTH was experimental, then I don't have much faith in those words at all.

Bono getting defensive about how the album was distributed and then about experimentation causes me to worry that there's no quality control going on in that camp anymore.  If it's to a point where producers can't debate with them, it's bad for everything.

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2014, 09:28:02 AM »
I have a feeling we are gonna hear some stuff like "Soon" on SOE

Offline PowerSurge

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Hello Hello
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2014, 10:11:19 AM »

However, my favorite quote is when Bono says, "Why is it not like Zoo Station? Why is not like Zooropa? It is not an experimental album.  It's an album of songs.  That's what we want. We do what we want.  Our last album was full of experimentation. This is a different kind of experimentation...it is as easy for me to blow your mind sonically...set off fireworks sonically. U2 can do that all day. We did it in the 90s. We did it our last album a bit. WE'LL DO IT ON THE NEXT ALBUM EVEN MORE.  But this is about songs. They are very difficult."

I'm excited for Songs of Experience.  If the band can have great tunes with catchy melodies, heartfelt/personal lyrics, AND the experimental sonic sounds of the 90s, I'd be a very happy listener.

Your thoughts?

I'm sick of all the B.S. about "experimentation" or how this sounds like the last few albums or does not sound like the 90s etc. This is U2. EVERY album is an experimentation. If the melody is too sweet for you, then go listen to that dark indie band you love or Radiohead. This is U2 and they have NEVER been like any of those grossly overrated indie bands especially radiohead.

I concur.

I love it how some people don't hear any of the Achtung Baby/Zooropa distortion in the new songs and say that its NOT "experimental" or "challenging"...thats borderline insulting to any band. Its as if the band sat on their assess for 5 years drinking Guinness and eating pizza and then in August of this year they farted out 11 melodies and BOOM! we got the album.

I just think people keep hearing the same overused stereotypical phrases about U2 and they feel compelled to regurgitate them everytime there is a new album: 'U2 by numbers', 'no experimentation', 'Edge is no where to be found', blah blah blah....its just getting old. Just say you don't like the album and own it. Stop trying to validate your own personal opinions with broad and generic 'U2-criticspeak'.

Not EVERY song is going to be Zoostation or Numb....and thank God for that.