Author Topic: Bono says next album (SOE) will be experimental (ala Achtung Baby/Zooropa)  (Read 48864 times)

Offline dagobah

• Wanderer
  • exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
Re: Bono says next album (SOE) will be experimental (ala Achtung Baby/Zooropa)
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2014, 02:10:07 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I just think people keep hearing the same overused stereotypical phrases about U2 and they feel compelled to regurgitate them every time there is a new album: 'U2 by numbers', 'no experimentation', 'Edge is no where to be found', blah blah blah....its just getting old. Just say you don't like the album and own it. Stop trying to validate your own personal opinions with broad and generic 'U2-criticspeak'.
Yes!   ;)

Offline Peter Parker

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2014, 11:54:39 AM »
Maybe someone already posted this but on the remastered JT there´s a song called  Beautiful ghost/ Introduction to Songs of Experience.Hmm, weird! That is the deluxe edition!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 11:59:21 AM by Peter Parker »

Offline Pocket Merlin

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2014, 09:21:58 PM »
Maybe someone already posted this but on the remastered JT there´s a song called  Beautiful ghost/ Introduction to Songs of Experience.Hmm, weird! That is the deluxe edition!

Yup, and apparently all the words from that song are straight from one of William Blake's poems: (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login).

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2014, 05:16:59 PM »
My favorite guitar sounds from the Edge are the sounds he makes in "Until the End of the World" and "Ultraviolet Light".  The fast chord playing with a cool cosmic/electronic distorted effect is the Edge rocking at his best (and "The Fly" too.)

Bono has said that the Edge "owns" a particular sound.  Most people think of that as the chiming, arpeggio sound, like the feel of songs like "Walk On" or "Song for Someone" and even "ISHFWILF."

I would love a few songs on SOE that have the sound similar to what Edge makes in UTEOTW and UVL instead. 

I still love the band and will enjoy good songs nonetheless.  When I say the experimental rock sound of the 90s U2, those Achtung Baby songs stand out for me.  (Similar to Mofo or Lemon sounding song(s) would be awesome too.)

Since Achtung Baby, how many stand out Edge dominated guitar heavy rocking songs have there been?

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2014, 05:18:50 PM »
To answer my own question, I'd say the following since 2000:

New York,
When I look at the World (kinda)
Love and Peace (the end)
All Because of You
Crumbs (kinda)
No Line on the Horizon
Unknown Caller (solo)
Stand up Comedy (kinda)
Breathe

Volcano
Cedarwood Road

Other Edge stand out guitar driven tracks?

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2014, 05:22:00 PM »
From POP and Zooropa

Gone
Dirty Day
MOFO
Wake Up Dead Man
Discotheque

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2015, 02:14:45 PM »
Hmmm.. with this year being the 20th anniversary of Passengers, perhaps the band will bring back some of the experimental songs of the 90s on the new tour.

Plus with the 20th anniversary of Pop approaching, perhaps they will be influenced to also include more sonic fireworks and experimentation on Songs of Experience.

Offline U2Tim

• Refugee
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2015, 12:37:52 AM »
When could we expect to see the next album? 2016?

Offline tony_bolony

• Babyface
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2015, 08:39:45 AM »
My two-bits, it's not The Edge that needs to be let off the leash to get that 90's sound. It's Adam and Larry. The last decade they have essentially just played backup, when they used to do some really interesting things and push themselves. They just sound so... comfortable... these days.  Adam in particular used to seem very self-conscious of his playing, and tried to (successfully) compensate not have amazing chops by being very creative with his phrasing. Larry used to have all sorts of interesting things and filters triggering from his kit. Perhaps this was an Eno thing... I don't know... but it's something I miss.
(not at all saying The Edge didn't do some crazy musical sh*t back in the day ;) )

Offline U2 Fan of the 90s

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2015, 09:03:06 AM »
My two-bits, it's not The Edge that needs to be let off the leash to get that 90's sound. It's Adam and Larry. The last decade they have essentially just played backup, when they used to do some really interesting things and push themselves. They just sound so... comfortable... these days.  Adam in particular used to seem very self-conscious of his playing, and tried to (successfully) compensate not have amazing chops by being very creative with his phrasing. Larry used to have all sorts of interesting things and filters triggering from his kit. Perhaps this was an Eno thing... I don't know... but it's something I miss.
(not at all saying The Edge didn't do some crazy musical sh*t back in the day ;) )

I get flack on this website since I routinely point out the drop off in the sophistication of their music post Pop... What you point out here is exactly what I am saying... They are too "comfortable" with basic songs... stock structures, predictable cord changes, standard rhythms... Some tunes from the 2000 - Present era harking back to their more dynamic era (the 90s) but on the whole I just think they, as you said, are too comfortable... Take a risk musically (Passengers!) not just commercially (apple).

Offline tommyboy6913

• Refugee
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2015, 03:59:19 PM »
SOI has Larry and to a greater degree, Adam sounding his best in years. Edge's guitar playing is a little subtle but still very good. Adam is fantastic on SOI. SOE will be the album that brings it all together and we will finally see "The Edge on Fire."

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2015, 04:21:13 PM »
SOI has Larry and to a greater degree, Adam sounding his best in years. Edge's guitar playing is a little subtle but still very good. Adam is fantastic on SOI. SOE will be the album that brings it all together and we will finally see "The Edge on Fire."

I am a bit puzzled by those who suggest that Edge is in the background on SOI. While I agree that he is subtle at times (my favorite of which is while Bono sings "Your eyes are like landing lights" in Volcano. Edge is brilliant there.), there are other moments when the band is quite Edge-centric (umm, helloooo? The intro to Cedarwood Road anyone?).

Man, I am still really digging this album.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • I’m born again to the latest sound
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2015, 04:34:05 PM »

I am a bit puzzled by those who suggest that Edge is in the background on SOI. While I agree that he is subtle at times (my favorite of which is while Bono sings "Your eyes are like landing lights" in Volcano. Edge is brilliant there.), there are other moments when the band is quite Edge-centric (umm, helloooo? The intro to Cedarwood Road anyone?).

Man, I am still really digging this album.

Layers upon layers of gold nuggets. Off to listen to that particular Edge part on Volcano because I LOVE to listen to the Bman's delivery there. So, now I need to FOCUS on the Edge too. Oh, wait. I think I know the part you are talking about. I don't know how to describe the sound, kind of like a hollow scraping from an auto body shop! lol  I know it sounded great live on Jools even though the sound mix itself wasn't stellar. You could tell how it would sound when they'd played it a bit more and in an arena! Aaaahhh!

I hope they have a blast doing this tour! This Kantar poll makes me hopeful we will indeed hear lots of SOI! YES!

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • I’m born again to the latest sound
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2015, 04:50:01 PM »
Tried to SEE what he Edge was doing there, but they don't show him. The auto shop sound is what I call it that Edge is doing earlier.

Edge is working it in this song, that's evident. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So much fun!! This tour!!

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2015, 05:48:26 PM »

BALONEY,
POP , NLOTH and SOI have some of Adam and Larry's best performance' s .