Author Topic: Invisible Appreciation Thread  (Read 956 times)

Offline AndyMmusic

• Wanderer
Invisible Appreciation Thread
« on: September 25, 2014, 10:59:10 PM »
K, I saw someone post that a lot of U2 fans don't love "Invisible." However, I'm now wishing that the new album borrowed from the production of the single. I find it to be a spectacular song and I honestly didn't at first. The synthy guitar really introduced something new and Larry's drum cadence is so peculiar in the best of ways. I think they offered something completely unique that still managed to get the ole U2 feel in it. I'm hoping "Songs of Experience" ends up having the futuristic U2 sound that "Invisible" did. You may disagree, but I think this song didn't get enough credit.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
Re: Invisible Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 01:02:02 AM »
It's a pity it's not in the physical release. I thought I heard Bono say it would be and I thought the initial release was just the RED Edit version -meaning there is another version out there.

I guess Invisible is probably for the Songs of Experience album.

Cheers,

J

Offline van the man fan clan

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 09:20:41 AM »
I think it's a really good song. I am, however, ambivalent about whether or not it should have been on SOI. Thematically it fits. I'm just not sure if it does musically. But anyways, the song itself? It's a good one.

Offline wik73

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 08:45:51 AM »
Invisible should be the second song on the album. It works as a great bridge between The Miracle and EBW.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • I’m born again to the latest sound
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 10:34:04 AM »
Still holding on to the long stated run time of SLABT on the physical release. Could be an invisible Invisible in that!  ;)

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 04:58:29 PM »
Love this one, who knows, maybe on Songs of Experience.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 08:20:30 PM »
Bono said in one of his radio interviews that the song is about their first time to be in London (if I remember correctly), and he even said it will be in SOI.  So maybe those listings about the song being in disc 2 are correct.

Cheers,

J

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 07:54:35 PM »
It's an underappreciated song and I can't help but feel that part of that was the weirdness of the album release shenanigans going on when it came out. It got a GREAT initial fan reception, far better than OL got, back when we thought it was the harbinger of something soon, then when the delay became clear, fan reaction seemed to cool just as rapidly. (It was also weakened by a fairly eh live performance on Fallon)

Really good track but not an amazing one.Would slot in on the album well, probably in place of TIWYCRMN.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • I’m born again to the latest sound
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 10:17:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's an underappreciated song and I can't help but feel that part of that was the weirdness of the album release shenanigans going on when it came out. It got a GREAT initial fan reception, far better than OL got, back when we thought it was the harbinger of something soon, then when the delay became clear, fan reaction seemed to cool just as rapidly. (It was also weakened by a fairly eh live performance on Fallon)

Really good track but not an amazing one.Would slot in on the album well, probably in place of TIWYCRMN.

Uh, definitely not a song easily replaced. Some say Invisible is best as the opener or just after The Miracle.

Online Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 10:23:27 AM »
I’ve rediscovered this song in a different way recently.  I didn’t mind it when it was released on Super Bowl Sunday nearly four years ago (!) now.  But it wasn’t something I often spun of my own volition. 

However, in the past month I’ve grown quite fond of it.  It’s a pretty solid latter-day U2 song, in my opinion.  I’d imagine Songs of Innocence as a purely produced Danger Mouse album would have incorporated many of the elements found in this song.  I would have loved to have heard what that version of that album sounded like…

I’ve found that “Invisible” pairs quite nicely before/after “You’re the Best Thing About Me,” actually.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 10:27:19 AM »
I sure hope it makes the cut (on SOE)...I think it's a fabulous song.

Offline Rasmus

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 10:38:24 AM »
I think both that and Ordinary Love would have made SOI a stronger album. They are both good pop songs and way better than the new single for instance.

Offline WhenIsSOE

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • aka The Ultra Beasts (Welcome back!)
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 11:45:16 AM »
I've actually never heard the SOI Deluxe version of Invisible but I have the single version and I kinda like it.

Online codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 11:46:26 AM »
I'd love to hear Invisible with proper drums. As a rock song, not electronica.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 11:51:05 AM »
Invisible is great. Better than almost anything from that era.