Author Topic: Question....  (Read 1471 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Question....
« on: October 09, 2014, 04:17:57 PM »
.....For site admin/mods.

I am aware that moderation decisions are not ordinarily discussed on the board, but I would like to respectfully ask that my question here is allowed to stand and answered.

Have people been banned after yesterday's SOI CD2 leak?

In particular eddyjedi and 'mom'

I ask because I feel that on a forum that promotes and is built on a sense of community based on civility and respect and one where the members who make the forum the enjoyable community it is by living that ethos when here chatting should be aware when  people who are part of that community and who we share discourse, laughs and our love of u2 together here are excluded from the community, temporarily or permanently.

Whilst I realise that admin and the mods are the people who make the rules, and apply them, I feel very strongly that this and indeed any forums greatest and most important assets are it's members, the people who shape what the forum is daily in terms of what we all discuss - and for me knowing what is happening with the people we share here with is something that should happen, when or if people are not here because they have been excluded as opposed to deciding not to be here themselves.

Thanks...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 04:20:35 PM by an tha »

meximofo

Re: Question....
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 04:23:26 PM »
I think the bans applied yesterday were only for 7 days. Anyway, I share your concerns but I feel like we're on thin ice here.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 04:29:20 PM »
I suppose my point is if you look at explanations given when the new forum rules were set out site admin used an analogy about the forum being like a public park we all share and how you wouldn't take a dump on the benches and litter it etc and expect to be able to use it, I agree, but by same token if you meet people every day in that park to chat you should know that they have been excluded and in my view certainly have the right (for want of a better word) to enquire and indeed know why they have been excluded and aren't around...

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 06:15:05 PM »
Numerous bans were issued yesterday, and perhaps some today for all I know. Haven't looked. I believe all, or almost all, were 7-day bans. Yes, I think the individuals you mention are in that group.

Our policy on filesharing has been incredibly clear over the years, so it was disappointing to see several longtime members doing things that put the forum's existence at risk. Unlike some of the smaller/newer fan sites, we do get watched here and don't have the luxury that they do.

I trust that everyone agrees the forum rules need to apply to all members the same, and that we can't make exceptions based on tenure or popularity or anything else.

Happy to answer any other additional questions via email. Thx guys.

Offline Hawkmoon2e

• Administrator
  • Staring at the Sun
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 06:30:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
.....For site admin/mods.

I am aware that moderation decisions are not ordinarily discussed on the board, but I would like to respectfully ask that my question here is allowed to stand and answered.

Have people been banned after yesterday's SOI CD2 leak?

In particular eddyjedi and 'mom'

I ask because I feel that on a forum that promotes and is built on a sense of community based on civility and respect and one where the members who make the forum the enjoyable community it is by living that ethos when here chatting should be aware when  people who are part of that community and who we share discourse, laughs and our love of u2 together here are excluded from the community, temporarily or permanently.

Whilst I realise that admin and the mods are the people who make the rules, and apply them, I feel very strongly that this and indeed any forums greatest and most important assets are it's members, the people who shape what the forum is daily in terms of what we all discuss - and for me knowing what is happening with the people we share here with is something that should happen, when or if people are not here because they have been excluded as opposed to deciding not to be here themselves.

Thanks...

I completely agree that this forum is made up of those things you mentioned. However, you need to know that this forum/site could be shut down by U2's management, if they wanted to do it. This is something m2 wrote in another thread a few years ago:

"We have been dealing with Principle Management since February 5, 1999. That's the date I received my first email from them, and it was a  fairly stern warning about something on the site that they found objectionable. We are on good terms with them today, I believe, but I can tell you that running a U2 fan site can be a tricky proposition. Our first responsibility and loyalty is to our readers, but the fact is that U2 could shut us down tomorrow if they wanted. We violate their trademark by using "U2" in the name of our web site and in our web site address. We violate copyright by using their image on our site. We've had our Lyrics section taken down for several months (years ago) because of copyright violations, and received court orders from Universal Music's lawyers in Italy to repay what they perceived to be lost wages due to our posting of lyrics. Those and other incidents, thankfully, are all matters of the past. But they continue to influence how we run @U2 in general and this forum specifically. I have no time or desire to get into any more legal wrangles with high-powered attorneys in foreign lands with financial backing from Universal Music or the band itself. Hopefully you can respect that."

This is the reason why the 'Tour Sounds' forum is in it's own section entirely. Not because we're trying to hide it, but because if asked to, we can remove the entire section with one swift click. U2's management has never really cared about concert bootlegs being downloaded, but album leaks and pirated music is an entirely different beast to them.

So that's why we have to take it seriously.
Hope that helps.

Offline Hawkmoon2e

• Administrator
  • Staring at the Sun
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 06:32:02 PM »
Just saw m2's reply. So yeah... you get the point.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 12:51:21 AM »
Thanks for the replies, appreciated.