Author Topic: Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds: New Album Announcement  (Read 14365 times)

Offline zedg

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • *POP*
Re: Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds: New Album Announcement
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2015, 09:40:38 PM »
Great album.
Some trumpets, female backup singers.. quite chilled.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2015, 10:17:19 PM »
a review from AllMusic

Opening with a minor chord strummed on an acoustic guitar somewhere off in the distance, Noel Gallagher's second solo album, Chasing Yesterday, echoes Oasis' second album, (What's the Story) Morning Glory? -- a conscious move from a rocker who's never minded trading in memories of the past. He may be evoking his Brit-pop heyday -- "Lock All the Doors" surges with the cadences of "Morning Glory" even as it interpolates David Essex's "Rock On" -- but it amounts to no more than a wink because Gallagher knows he's two decades older and perhaps a little wiser as well. Certainly,Chasing Yesterday is the work of a musician very comfortable with his craft. Like the first album fromHigh Flying Birds -- a largely anonymous group of pros who make no attempt to steal the spotlight from their leader -- it moves deliberately, never rushing and rarely rocking, preferring to find pleasure in majesty instead of hedonism. Where 2011's HFB kept things a shade too calm -- its reserve almost seemed like a rebuke to the messy id of Gallagher's brother -- Chasing Yesterday occasionally threatens to actually rock, delivering that signature wall of guitars on the aforementioned "Lock All the Doors," mustering up a bit of old-fashioned, cowbell-driven glam boogie on "The Mexican," and quickening the tempo on "You Know We Can't Go Back," a piece of incandescent pop that plays as a resigned companion to "Step Out." Better still, the self-styled epics -- which include the first single "In the Heat of the Moment" and closing "Ballad of the Mighty I," which features grace notes from a guesting Johnny Marr -- pulsate with quiet color, as does "Riverman," a signature piece of stately late-period Beatles pop that would've been drained to grey on HFB. Here, "Riverman" breathes and sighs, taking a moment to slide into a saxophone-accentuated guitar solo straight out of a pre-punk 1976, and this masterful flair is a testament to the control and focus Gallagher displays on Chasing Yesterday. He's not racing after the past, nor is he afraid to seem floridly fussy: he's reveling in his ascendency to the position of one of rock's wise old men.

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2015, 12:26:23 PM »
Haven't heard it yet but looking forward to getting my copy. By all accounts, it's going to sound great..

And well done to Bono for persuading Noel to change the original title of Show Me The Treasure!

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2015, 12:59:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Haven't heard it yet but looking forward to getting my copy. By all accounts, it's going to sound great..

And well done to Bono for persuading Noel to change the original title of Show Me The Treasure!

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2015, 06:52:35 PM »
Reviews for this album have been pretty decent. Still haven't heard it but can't wait to buy it on Monday. Nobody does melody better than Noel Gallagher.

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2015, 05:49:17 AM »
I've ordered the album, reviews so far are pretty good.

I'm still disappointed the Amorphous Androgynous thing didn't work out, but reviews suggest this is better than his first album (which was still decent, just didn't have enough high moments).

I'm looking forward to hearing Lock All The Doors based on reviews, and In The Heat Of The Moment has grown on me a lot.

Offline J_Rock321

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Hiiipower
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2015, 04:51:47 PM »
Not really a Noel Gallagher fan but this is a funny interview (plus lots of bono/u2 love)

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2015, 06:04:14 PM »
Not really a Noel Gallagher fan but this is a funny interview (plus lots of bono/u2 love)

I laughed out loud pretty much continuously reading this. Good thing only me, the hubby and the dogs are home. Hubby came in a few times to look at what I was doing.  ;) I feel a strong compulsion to pretty much quote this entire article. Love it!  ♥ what he said about Bman! ♥

Do you listen to much pop?
No. It's f****** awful. Modern pop music is bland nonsense. There isn't even a word yet that's capable of describing it. If it was a color, it would be beige. Do you know what color beige is?

I do, yeah.
It's like a milky brown. Not for me.

What about Taylor Swift? She's a pop star, but many people praise her talent as a songwriter.
[Laughs] Who says that? Her parents?

Is songwriting still as fun for you as when you started out?
Oh, yeah. I still think tomorrow might be the day that I write the greatest song of all time. It's like going fishing. The guitar is your fishing rod, and if I'm not fishing for that song, f****** Bono will get it, and if he's not, Chris Martin will. And f*** those two guys, because they've got enough. We're all fishing in the same river, and it's cutthroat, baby.

Read more: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Oops! I see lots of *s in this! Noel!!  ::)

Edgedisciple

« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2015, 01:56:11 PM »

Couldn't love him more than this.

Offline TheU2Ken

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • To tell the truth, this could be the last time
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2015, 01:56:53 PM »
Haven't listened to it yet. Going to spend monday listening and writing a review for my blog. will post a link here

Edgedisciple

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2015, 02:00:31 PM »
I'm struggling a lot to keep myself from listening to it till my copy is delivered this week...

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2015, 06:27:51 PM »

Couldn't love him more than this.

It's terrific! Everything quotable and had me laughing throughout.

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2015, 09:11:58 AM »
Got the album today and had 3 listens so far.
It's much much better than his first.

The highlights for me are Lock All The Doors, The Right Stuff, You Know We Can't Go Back (this has classic written all over it) and Ballad Of The Mighty I.
Other notable songs are Riverman, In The Heat Of The Moment and While The Song Remains The Same.

The other 3 (Girl With The X-Ray Eyes, The Dying Of The Light & The Mexican) are fine, but nothing special.

All in all it's a really good album, more energy and more experimental than debut.

Hats off to the Chief :)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2015, 01:23:18 PM »
whered you buy it?

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2015, 06:22:00 PM »
Was toying w/ calling the downtown indie record shop to see if it came in early. SOI was 5 days early in the same store, CD at least not vinyl.

Does Noel's album come w/ digital download?