Author Topic: asia concerts?  (Read 2505 times)

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
asia concerts?
« on: December 10, 2014, 03:10:03 AM »
given the number of downloads in places like india, philippines, singapore, will u2 continue to ignore fans in these countries and not do any concerts there

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: asia concerts?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 04:45:01 AM »
Yes. They will.

Offline satelliteM

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 07:54:59 AM »
Hello. First post from Japan.
In the interview with Larry & Bono in a Japanese music magazine, they promised to come to Japan. They didn’t say when and I don’t know which other Asian countries they plan to visit too, but Larry said that a friend of his in Japan had told him that his/her daughter and grandmother will not talk to Larry for the rest of their lives if U2 doesn’t come to Japan for this tour. So I believe them!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • I'm a long way from your hill of calvary
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 08:23:01 AM »
They have not played Japan since 2006, so I would say in 2016 they will play Japan. I doubt they will play India. They never have before.

Offline Albono

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 10:59:17 AM »
I doubt they will play in the Philippines either.
They are somewhat big here, but we have always been "ignored".

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 12:24:42 PM »
The issue with the Phillippines is the same as the issue with many other asia and LAC markets. Lots of people would want to see them but most would not be able to afford the ticket prices, which have to be much higher than they would be in the US or Europe because they have to ship everything all the way to the Phillippines for one or two shows and pay their crews to jaunt across the pacific,  thus much higher cost and therefore more likely to lose a buttload of money....

surit87

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 12:24:55 PM »
It's a little frustrating when Metallica, Iron Maiden, Bon Jovi, Michael Jackson, etc. have all toured India and U2 continue to ignore the country. However, I do appreciate that Bono used 'namaste' in that SOI release letter. :)

Offline imaginary friend

• take the long way home
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 12:49:42 PM »
They're crazy if they don't.

Offline Albono

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 01:20:51 PM »
The issue with the Phillippines is the same as the issue with many other asia and LAC markets. Lots of people would want to see them but most would not be able to afford the ticket prices, which have to be much higher than they would be in the US or Europe because they have to ship everything all the way to the Phillippines for one or two shows and pay their crews to jaunt across the pacific,  thus much higher cost and therefore more likely to lose a buttload of money....

I heard this was exactly the issue with the 360 tour, as the band don't seem to travel light. 
One promoter was brave enough to try, but soon chickened out.

I guess I would have to knock U2 off my bucketlist... unless of course, I travel halfway around the world just to see them.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 01:32:25 PM »

I heard this was exactly the issue with the 360 tour, as the band don't seem to travel light. 
One promoter was brave enough to try, but soon chickened out.

I guess I would have to knock U2 off my bucketlist... unless of course, I travel halfway around the world just to see them.
I suggest Australia. It's not quite half way around the world, just an 8 hour flight, that's about a quarter way around :-)

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 04:47:45 PM »
the one hope so is that this will not be a big stage full of lights thus less transport costs...however to be a global band in the true since of the word they should make more of an effort to tour these countries.. if the stones do it why not u2

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 03:41:33 AM »
Japan is their only Asian destination.

There is no reason to believe they will do something they've never done in 4 decades of existence.

Cheers,

J

Offline macky0104

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 05:57:35 AM »
I find it strange that they tour South America which doesn't have anywhere near the wealth of some parts of Asia. U2 could easily play, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Singapore and Jakarta and charge their current ticket prices. Apart from a lot of rich locals all of these places also have large ex-pat communities.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 06:39:08 AM »
Throw in Hong Kong, shanghai and Beijing as well. Very big markets.

Offline imaginary friend

• take the long way home
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2014, 07:56:27 AM »
I doubt they'll ever be allowed to play China...Tibetan Freedom concert in '97 and all that.

I find it strange that they tour South America which doesn't have anywhere near the wealth of some parts of Asia. U2 could easily play, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Singapore and Jakarta and charge their current ticket prices. Apart from a lot of rich locals all of these places also have large ex-pat communities.

It's crazy...they're leaving tens of millions of $$$ on the table.