Author Topic: U2's Joshua Tree - Hack Attack! (Image link)  (Read 18392 times)

Offline Hwy 190

• Babyface
U2's Joshua Tree - Hack Attack! (Image link)
« on: February 10, 2015, 09:40:23 PM »
I’ve been visiting U2’s Joshua Tree in the California desert for nearly 20 years now; the Mojave is my home.  This past Sunday, I made my proverbial yearly hike out to the Tree with my dog to reminisce only to find that some hack and I do mean hack, decided it was a bright idea to take a hacksaw to one of the Tree’s limbs – evidently to remove an inch thick cross section as a souvenir.  Are you kidding me?  I won’t even elaborate as to how pathetic this is.  Let’s just say It was a good thing I didn’t happen upon this ignorant low-life degenerate in his course of action.  Yes, I wrote “his” …there’s no way a woman would have done this.  It’s hard to imagine that someone would be so motivated, to travel that far into the desert, to commit this selfish deed.  Here’s the image link:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

In the late 1990s the tree fell over due to a meandering stream that, by bad luck, developed just under the roots and caused it to weaken and fall.  My cynical belief is that some jack-ass climbed the tree and while saying “take my picture dude” the additional weight keeled the tree over.

In short, leave the damn Tree alone, so that future fans can enjoy it.  Left alone, the Tree will be there for many, many decades to come.

My thoughts
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 04:54:36 PM by Hwy 190 »

Offline lilyercs

• Wanderer
Re: U2's Joshua Tree - Hack Attack! (Image link)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 03:27:31 PM »
This is an outrage......I mean it's probably done by someone who is a higher then normal fan like most of ourselves on here. As a person who has recently visited the tree and from looking into the logs, I've noticed it gets around 15 visitors a month on average...that leave log messages. It's social degradation at it's worst.

Offline danlougee

• Stateless
  • Midnight is where the day begins
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 08:54:50 PM »
There is NO WAY a woman could have done that?  That is not ridiculously sexist at all...

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 12:56:20 AM »
It's a serious topic for sure, but please forgive my chortle at the use of the word "hack".
As far as a woman not being able to do this, let's ask Lorena Bobbit what women are capable of.

Offline Edgematic

• Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 10:28:13 AM »
I was out there last winter and couldn't find the darned tree.  I stopped and looked along a 2 mile stretch of road for about an hour before saying "F it" and kept going into Death Valley.

Offline soloyan

• Running to Stand Still
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 05:24:08 AM »
It should pop up on EBay soon enough...

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • We get to carry each other
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 03:27:50 PM »
You're not being sexist, judgmental or generalizing at all are you?

Offline AchtungPop

• Staring at the Sun
  • Walk On
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 04:29:33 PM »
Pitchfork clearly did it.

Offline Malpais

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 03:29:11 AM »
I came across this so I had to register here to post...

I go to DV 3 times a year to hike and I have visited the area around the tree on numerous occasions (the surrounding mountains are full of interesting things related to the natives going back thousands of years).

Anyway, since the first time I visited the site had just become worse and worse. The junk left in the desert (which eventually blows away) such as the guitars (really?), the trinkets get washed away and make things look trashy etc.

For a while, when the site actually required some detective work to find, it was fine, the plaque was there, the SMALL log container was there.

Now, it just looks trashy, and disrespectful. The land the tree lies on is BLM land and is also adjacent to a parcel of land owned by the Timbisha tribe (based in Death Valley). Both the BLM and the tribe do not like the constant influx of junk being left at the site.

It has gone from a cool, somewhat secret place which not many knew about, to a trash heap.

I'm not trying to be accusatory but the visitors to the tree really have to stop leaving "gifts" and trashing the place.

The antiquity rule for the BLM is that anything under fifty years of age is fair game for removal, if this keeps up, I could easily see them taking the plaque and everything else.

Offline an tha

• Up With the Sun
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 04:56:51 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It should pop up on EBay soon enough...

You mean treebay?

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 08:33:47 AM »
Forgive my ignorance, but aren't there many of the same type of tree around?

It's also quite pathetic that is has become a bit of a worship shrine. Too bad this sacred shrine was defaced. (Sarcasm intended).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 07:40:32 PM by Siberian Tiger »

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 11:42:29 AM »
Maybe they should take the plaque down and attempt to make it more anonymous. People should stop visiting it because the idiots have to ruin it for everyone else.

Offline Tuolumne

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 11:23:00 PM »
I was just in Death Valley this weekend, some friends and I were exploring the Panamint Mtns not far from "the tree" site. I never did get over there, thought about if for a minute, but really if people want to get a 'Joshua Tree' era vibe, just driving from Zabriski Point through Death Valley and then along 395, from say, the little mining town of Red Mountain to the much photographed ghost town of Bodie, i think that would be a more substantive trip.  Surely they must have gotten at least lyrical inspiration from riding around there. 

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 10:22:56 AM »
This pisses me off so much I want to drive out there and guard the bloody tree with a shotgun.

Next time I'm out there, I will definitely be doing some cleanup and maintenance.

RESPECT THE DAMN SITE!!!!!

Offline PieBlaCon

• Stateless
  • I believe in the Kingdom Come
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 03:00:18 PM »
Your post has been used by Consequence of Sound, NME, and others for an article. They're a whole 2 weeks late, but it's pretty interesting that they picked up on this.